Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: July 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: July 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I was speaking with first time visitors to OKC who said, "you have such amazing summer weather here". I hated to tell them how unusual this summer weather has been for us.
    Hoping that this is some kind of new normal (less tornaders, cooler summers, and Siberian winters) with the Climate Change stuff.

You lost me at Siberian winters

Looks by the end of the week we'll be heading into the mid and high '90s.

The longer we can stall the extreme heat, the happier I am.

Yes, starting today we’ll gradually be heading into a more typical midsummer pattern. No rain chances for the next week. We still get 2-3 more days of below-average temperatures (tomorrow morning and Wednesday morning in particular should be pretty nice), but then by the weekend we will see lows in the lower-mid 70’s and highs in the lower-mid 90’s.

Gorgeous evening tonight.

Maybe a couple of more before we are shoved into the oven for a while.

6. Default Re: July 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Gorgeous evening tonight.

Maybe a couple of more before we are shoved into the oven for a while.
    YES! Took a nice long walk, and it was just beautiful out. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ridge of death moving into the area heading towards the weekend. Like Pete mentioned, the oven is turning on.

By the first week of August, looks like we could have 100s across majority of the state.

HangryHippo Guest

#%^*+

Mother Nature giveth rain and cooler than normal temps, and she taketh them away.

10. Default Re: July 2021 - General Weather Discussion

I'm hoping that the hotter temps will come with a decrease in humidity. The rain is nice for keeping the temperatures down but makes it so humid it's almost worst than the heat. I've been having to do a lot of work outside lately and the humidity is killer.

lol I’ve been in Death Valley for a few weeks and I’m on my way back to OKC for a bit. Looks I’m brining the heat with me

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    lol I’ve been in Death Valley for a few weeks and I’m on my way back to OKC for a bit. Looks I’m brining the heat with me
    Then you can turn right around and go back, making sure to take the Death Valley heat with you.

Heat Dome. It's still a week away and I have heard that word like 20 times in the last 2 days. HEAT DOME

Hopefully, it will be overrated and over feared.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Heat Dome. It's still a week away and I have heard that word like 20 times in the last 2 days. HEAT DOME
    So, the 'heat dome' isn't anything new, right? I mean, I grew up in the late 60's and we had hot, hot summers. I guess the heat dome was in place but no one knew its name back then.....idk

Might see some generally disorganized convection move into the area later this evening/overnight. There will be another chance of this occurring tomorrow afternoon into Tuesday Morning. The exact convective evolution will be fairly difficult to predict, as there's not really any system causing the convection; rather, existing convection is creating outflow boundaries which then forms new convection. Fairly typical mid-summer convective setup, with fairly typical mid-summer threats (heavy rain and isolated damaging winds).

Otherwise, the pattern continues to look hot for the foreseeable future. Nothing really anomalous in terms of heat, but high temperatures will likely stay in the 95-100 degree range for the next week or two.

Storms largely stayed west of Highway 81 this evening. A nice lightning show west of Downtown for those who saw it. We'll see what, if anything, happens later tonight into tomorrow. Short-range models have been all over the place, so don't feel confident predicting anything specific, but probably a general 20-30% chance of storms across the Metro over the next 36 hours or so.

In the middle of a pretty wild thunderstorm near Penn Square.

Some of the loudest thunder ever, a torrential downpour and crazy winds straight out of the west which almost never happens.

Some very very heavy rain and winds here near the Plaza District.

If it wasn’t already obvious. Flash Flood Warning for basically the west metro.

I've received a ton of rain in only about 30 minutes.

What a welcome relief, although the Deep Fork Creek that runs directly behind my house is near the very top of the 15' embankment, where it typically is at a trickle.

The power of all that water is something to behold.

22. Default Re: July 2021 - General Weather Discussion

I was in a meeting with some folks this afternoon when one of them received a text that one of their rain gauges (their agency has them all over the city) had received 2.5 inches in less than an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've received a ton of rain in only about 30 minutes.

What a welcome relief, although the Deep Fork Creek that runs directly behind my house is near the very top of the 15' embankment, where it typically is at a trickle.

The power of all that water is something to behold.
    During my early commute (4-5 pm), I listed to the scanner and overheard OKCFD searching Deep Fork Creek from Western to Eastern/MLK for a person that had apparently gotten swept in at Western. I haven't seen any reporting on that after the fact. I'll search some more...

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    During my early commute (4-5 pm), I listed to the scanner and overheard OKCFD searching Deep Fork Creek from Western to Eastern/MLK for a person that had apparently gotten swept in at Western. I haven't seen any reporting on that after the fact. I'll search some more...
    There are a bunch of homeless people that climb down there, use it as a thoroughfare, and set up camps underneath the bridges.

I know several years ago there was a death or two by someone swept away.

People would not begin to believe how high and furious that water gets in a downpour. It goes from a steady trickle to almost overflowing a 15' embankment in minutes and it looks like the Colorado rapids.

I've seen big appliances tossed around in that current.

And I've rescued two dogs from down there because somehow they got in and couldn't get out. Found the family of one over Christmas; never found the family of the second and he is now a treasured member of the family.

This hot week continues into the weekend. OKC nearing 100F, but probably just enough moisture in the air to prevent the actual 100 reading.

It looks like a nice little surprise ridge breakdown is in the cards early next week. Some storm chances and cooler temps Sun-Wed.

Then things start heating back up going into the first full weekend of August.

Thread Information