Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: July 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default July 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Flood Watch again today... hit and miss storms around now. We had 0.19" of rain fall near downtown Edmond from 6:30 am to about 6:50 am and then it stopped.

Default Re: July 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Storms are firing now to the NW of metro moving slowly SE. These will be the main show this afternoon, becoming more spotty in nature heading into tonight. The bulk of the action tonight will be across W/SW OK where it still much needed.

Preemptive flashflood warning issued for all of Oklahoma and most of Canadian counties.

Main storm cluster coming in from the NW right now. ~2:38pm

Maybe a few small pop up storms and showers this afternoon with sunshine, but otherwise the rain is done for C OK.

The last 7 days, OK has been blessed by the water gods. Nearly the entire state is now at 100% or more of average rainfall. Here in C OK region we are nearly +3" of rain on the year. This type of a week is usually only something that happens here with a tropical storm. The way the rain waves were spaced out, allowed for a lot of soaking as well. I know a lot of posters here want sunshine and 105F temperatures, but sparing just a week for a year+ of statewide benefits is 400% worth it. I am sure some of you that want sunshine and hot - also use lakes and rivers.

This Independence weekend looks amazing with temps in the mid 80s with no rain. Some moderate storm chances sneak in Monday afternoon.

I'm definitely OK with having fewer days of triple digit temperatures and the rain is definitely a good thing, but I'm also over some of this thick air we've been having.

Quick popup storms have developed directly over metro. Nothing too significant at this time.

^

I was downtown around 1PM and had to duck under the overhang of the convention center, because it poured buckets.

While not directly related to weather, didn't know where else better to put this item of possible interest. This map shows how air pollution levels went up in part of Oklahoma due to fireworks. From lots of recent rainy weather, the air had been washed down to levels of 50 or less, but fireworks Sunday night brought it up to the 100 to 200 range. Such pollution levels can be harmful to some sensitive people if exposed for as long as 24 hours. Fortunately, after 11 or 12 pm, pollution levels began to subside, probably due to people firing off fireworks in their backyards quit and went to bed.

The lowest pollution level shown on the map, 67, represents a small residential subdivision in far north Stillwater in an area not heavily populated. Unfortunately, Oklahoma City has no air sensors to contribute to the Purple Air sensor network. Elsewhere in the country, many city pollution levels, apparently from fireworks, were commonly in the 100 to 200 range with some going over 200 or 300.

That might’ve been the most pleasant weather we’ve ever had for 4th of July. Usually it’s either blazing hot or we got rained out but never like that. More mild temps this week too it looks like (for July anyway).

Not surprised it was so bad near Sapulpa. The number of fireworks going off was insane. This year the town sold licenses for the first time in years and the actual town firework show was almost upstaged by what was being set off all over town. My allergies have been going insane today. I'm not sure if it's any relation or not.

Slight chance of a shower and storm this evening (Wednesday). Tropics to the south are dominating the area from any solid rain chances right now.

On the long-range outlook, the ridge of death is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Slight chance of a shower and storm this evening (Wednesday). Tropics to the south are dominating the area from any solid rain chances right now.

On the long-range outlook, the ridge of death is coming.

Ugh, say it ain't so. Damon Lane had an outlook through the 2nd week of August and it showed below normal temps through that period of time. When are you seeing it possibly coming?

Storm cluster approaching OKC metro from the N right now ~3:30pm. Should provide a nice cool-down.

What is the ridge of death? Sounds exciting.

Death ridge isn't an official term, more coined by local chasers of when the storm season is dead across the plains. Basically the jetstream flow places High pressure over the area. This is when the hottest temperatures and least amount of rain occurs. Because of all the recent moisture, temperatures won't be as high in number. But of course as a result of the moisture, heat indexes will still make it miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    What is the ridge of death? Sounds exciting.
    It’s a normal occurrence over the Southern Plains in July and August. Some years it is stronger than others but the Southwest relies on it for a lot of their annual monsoonal rainfall

Pretty solid chance of a line of storms coming in from the N Saturday night. Best chances out in E OK, but chances still high across C OK. Areas of the line will likely be severe. SPC has Marginal Risk across the area for that day.

MEH Look at Sw Iowa, Northwest Missouri today. HUGE BUST. My confidence any more in weather forecast is getting very low.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    MEH Look at Sw Iowa, Northwest Missouri today. HUGE BUST. My confidence any more in weather forecast is getting very low.
    15 minutes after I posted this tornado watch got issued. Cap was strong. Are we capped for tomorrow I haven't looked

OKC area will probably be capped until the cold front gets closer but I definitely expect storms to start firing along the KS/OK border by 3-4 p.m. or so. Looks like a decent severe threat for July. As per usual at this time of year, damaging winds will be the main threat.

And sure enough, SPC D1 Outlook has OKC in an Enhanced Risk for wind.

Latest short-range models continue to show a hefty line of storms moving through the Metro between 8-11 p.m. this evening.

Is anyone else concerned on how the model runs keep pinging tornado soundings and how the storms are individual and don't even really form until the are just north of the metro area? The squall out still over OKC but just north and west of the metro looks interesting for a bit. Tail end Charlie maybe?

Shear looks pretty unidirectional for a tornado threat IMO. Think storm mode will be initial HP supercells with a large hail threat in Northern OK, transitioning to a linear system with a predominant wind threat in the Metro.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch is out for the entire Metro. I’m sitting in Guthrie watching towers go up to my north. Expecting convective initiation west of I-35 within the next hour, estimating storms should make it into OKC around 9 p.m. or so. Prior post on storm mode still applies, still expecting mainly a wind damage threat.

Thread Information