Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Canoo Electric Vehicles selects Oklahoma for plant

Default Re: Canoo Electric Vehicles selects Oklahoma for plant

So what does this mean for Mid-America industrial Park? I know they announced a battery manufacturing plant, but it didn’t look very big. I really wish they would’ve put their HQ in downtown Tulsa instead of Bentonville. Have they officially establish their headquarters yet? I doubt they do that though because of Walmart.

At any rate, great news for OKC. Now I just hope Mid-America industrial Park can land the second Panasonic plant.

Voters in Mayes county voted against the TIF so who knows what’ll happen with Panasonic. Doubt it happens but I hope I’m wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Voters in Mayes county voted against the TIF so who knows what’ll happen with Panasonic. Doubt it happens but I hope I’m wrong.
    That sucks. I read on the Tulsa Now forum that the county could simply redraw the TIF district. Is that possible?

HangryHippo Guest

Seems short-sighted, but whatever. After that legislator’s comments about having “enough business” and “wanting to remain small”, it doesn’t appear they’re anxious for growth.

Maybe OKC could lure them. That’d put them even closer to Texas or better yet somewhere around Ardmore or Thackerville.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Seems short-sighted, but whatever. After that legislator’s comments about having “enough business” and “wanting to remain small”, it doesn’t appear they’re anxious for growth.
    Ironic seeing how Pryor/Mayes county would be a completely dying husk without large companies like Google doing business there.

7. Default Re: Canoo Electric Vehicles selects Oklahoma for plant

Where are you seeing this? Everything I've seen shows it was approved by a panel months ago.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/ma...4a7049be7.html

8. Default Re: Canoo Electric Vehicles selects Oklahoma for plant

From the OKC press release it seems like the bulk of their Oklahoma investment is still in Mid America.

In addition to Canoo’s Oklahoma City Vehicle Manufacturing Facility, the company recently announced a Battery Module Manufacturing Facility and its MegaMicro Factory, a 400-acre campus at MidAmerica Industrial Park, a 9,000-acre industrial complex strategically located near some of the nation’s most highly traveled thoroughfares. The MegaMicro Factory will include a full commercialization facility with a paint, body shop and general assembly plant. It will be a significant investment in the state and will employ more than 2,000 when fully operational.

9. Default Re: Canoo Electric Vehicles selects Oklahoma for plant

Looks like it was prop 2, and only got 36% of the vote. YEESH

Canoo had always planned for a presence in both Tulsa and OKC in addition to their plant in Pryor and HQ in Bentonville. The addition of a smaller plant in OKC is new though, and likely because the Terex property was available.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I really wish they would’ve put their HQ in downtown Tulsa instead of Bentonville. Have they officially establish their headquarters yet? I doubt they do that though because of Walmart.
    Walmart does (did?) require that companies they do business with have a location in NWA. There are entire building complexes setup to provide a NWA address for companies. Basically providing just a room, mailbox, and phone. Similar to a coworking space. One of the offices I rented there reminded me of a motel with 100+ small rooms, each with some company name on the door.

Plus, because of Walmart, JB Hunt, Tyson, etc. in NWA, they actually do have quite a bit of comp sci / engineering talent in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    Walmart does (did?) require that companies they do business with have a location in NWA. There are entire building complexes setup to provide a NWA address for companies. Basically providing just a room, mailbox, and phone. Similar to a coworking space. One of the offices I rented there reminded me of a motel with 100+ small rooms, each with some company name on the door.

Plus, because of Walmart, JB Hunt, Tyson, etc. in NWA, they actually do have quite a bit of comp sci / engineering talent in the region.
    So all the Chinese suppliers to Wal-mart have one of those rooms?

Usually those are just suppliers to a US counterpart company that then contracts with Walmart. So they may have an LLC whose function is basically just to be on paper in NWA. For what Walmart directly procures, I am not sure.

Thread Information