Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harvey Bakery & Kitchen

Default Re: Harvey Bakery & Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Whipped Bakery Cafe 3820 N. MacArthur Blvd. It's really worth stopping by!
    https://www.whippedbakerycafe.com/home
    Attachment 17222
    Wow, this is close to me. Thanks for the heads up. I think I will hit it up tomorrow.

Stopped by today

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aGWisRs9jhGfXAdU6

Latte was good. Roasted potatoes were flavorful, could be more crispy given they're diced. Gingerbread croissant was best thing in the picture super flaky outside but chewy inside. Sandwich (birch house) was good. It would have been great if the english muffin texture were better. I think I've been eating them wrong cause I enjoy McDonalds mcmuffin sandwiches. The one in the picture was too soft on the outside, and too dense in the middle. Also both mine and my dining partner's sandwiches were dripping liquids. I look forward to trying other things on the menu.

They are starting a lunch menu today (Monday).

4. Default Re: Harvey Bakery & Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    It would have been great if the english muffin texture were better. I think I've been eating them wrong cause I enjoy McDonalds mcmuffin sandwiches. The one in the picture was too soft on the outside, and too dense in the middle.
    Had one this morning and agree it was more dense than what we would get at McDonald's, or a grocery store, but I liked the density personally. The bottoms of mine were crisp and toasty but I was wishing I had put mine in the toaster oven and toasted it up in the middle. I also really liked the sourdough flavor of them.

I happened in this place to acquire a fresh sourdough loaf. Vibe felt too trendy and hip for my style.

The loaf was good though.

It's pretty lovely. IIRC, the showroom used to have this really nice penny tile arranged in mosaic patterns. Sorry to see that couldn't be salvaged. I had been wondering what this was as it was full all of the time even before there was signage indicating it was a restaurant.

Blog Entries

Thought we’d try the French sandwich, prosciutto, Gruyère, onion jam, and arugula on a ciabatta. The concept is very good, the fillings are good, but the ciabatta was so chewy as to be inedible. They are supposed to be a bakery.

Can attest that I drive by several times a day every day. They are always packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    Thought we’d try the French sandwich, prosciutto, Gruyère, onion jam, and arugula on a ciabatta. The concept is very good, the fillings are good, but the ciabatta was so chewy as to be inedible. They are supposed to be a bakery.
    I'd highly recommend their Italian sandwich and the tenderloin Caesar sandwich

That was my issue every time I was there around open. The ingredients are good but the bread was always off.

Blog Entries

Good ciabatta is naturally chewy with a hard crust. It is made with high hydration and no fat, making it chewy. I personally don't use it for sandwiches, but rather for dipping in vinegar and oil. So, the problem isn't in how they make the bread... it is authentic and good, but rather in using it for sandwiches when people don't understand its properties.

12. Default Re: Harvey Bakery & Kitchen

Could have just been karma getting at you for ordering a French sandwich made with Italian bread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Good ciabatta is naturally chewy with a hard crust. It is made with high hydration and no fat, making it chewy. I personally don't use it for sandwiches, but rather for dipping in vinegar and oil. So, the problem isn't in how they make the bread... it is authentic and good, but rather in using it for sandwiches when people don't understand its properties.
    I’ve been making sourdough for 15 years, and visit bakeries when traveling. I know what Ciabatta is, or should be, and it shouldn’t be so dense, and tough that it can hardly be chewed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCD314C3-6AE9-4EA6-B020-93C3D7726153.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	901.9 KB 
ID:	18008

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Could have just been karma getting at you for ordering a French sandwich made with Italian bread.
    Haha, karma is a bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post

hahaha, my thought exactly !

Blog Entries

I’ve been making sourdough for 15 years, and visit bakeries when traveling. I know what Ciabatta is, or should be, and it shouldn’t be so dense, and tough that it can hardly be chewed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCD314C3-6AE9-4EA6-B020-93C3D7726153.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	901.9 KB 
ID:	18008
    Me too. Had an office in Milano for a few years. I have eaten a fair amount of ciabatta and it rarely makes a good sandwich bread.

Thread Information