Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Edge Craft BBQ

Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    What I thought that was weird was the author talked about how Oklahomans were enamored with smoked bologna. I will eat it in a pinch, but it is way down on my list of smoked meats.
    Yeah, but it's cheap and an easy appetizer to have sitting around on game day while the brisket/ribs/pork butt are resting. I wouldn't ever order it at a restaurant, though.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    What I thought that was weird was the author talked about how Oklahomans were enamored with smoked bologna. I will eat it in a pinch, but it is way down on my list of smoked meats.
    I'll admit I love smoked bologna, and it's definitely unique to Oklahoma.

The Texas Monthly article, while complementary, makes it sound like Oklahoma just discovered BBQ. In Tulsa, Big Daddy's, Mac's and Elmer's have been great BBQ joints for decades. And no mention of Albert G's that merges BBQ meats with Lebanese foods like tabouli.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I'll admit I love smoked bologna, and it's definitely unique to Oklahoma.

The Texas Monthly article, while complementary, makes it sound like Oklahoma just discovered BBQ. In Tulsa, Big Daddy's, Mac's and Elmer's have been great BBQ joints for decades. And no mention of Albert G's that merges BBQ meats with Lebanese foods like tabouli.
    To be fair, he's writing from the Texas perspective - Oklahoma just discovered Texas (brisket & sausage) BBQ, in his eyes. We've had a lot of pork and bologna, but not as much brisket. And a lot of OK BBQ is good, but not destination-level, until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Daniel is a Texas BBQ critic... That's not to say he doesn't know a lot about other BBQ but his lack of Oklahoma BBQ history, with the exception of the East Texoma BBQ gravy, shines through here. And most Okies don't know about Po Sam's BBQ gravy even though it's so amazing it would make a skunks butt taste good.
    Forget Edge Craft... I'm amazed to find anyone else who's heard of BBQ gravy. People look at me like I'm nuts when I mention it. When we moved to Colbert in 2001, there was this little red travel trailer/carport BBQ stand that served an amazing smoky white gravy (and, yes, it was even great on bologna). The place burned down nearly 20 years ago, but if I close my eyes, I swear I can still taste the smoke.

5. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by MartzMimic View Post
    Forget Edge Craft... I'm amazed to find anyone else who's heard of BBQ gravy. People look at me like I'm nuts when I mention it. When we moved to Colbert in 2001, there was this little red travel trailer/carport BBQ stand that served an amazing smoky white gravy (and, yes, it was even great on bologna). The place burned down nearly 20 years ago, but if I close my eyes, I swear I can still taste the smoke.
    William's Old Style in Colbert is where I first experienced it... Unfortunately they are no longer there.

There were a couple of places in Denison serving it but I haven't been there in years. So don't know if they survived Covid.

I never thought I would go to a BBQ joint for the sauce but I drove to Colbert just to get that gravy sauce..... And I would lick the bowl it came in so none went to waste!

Quote Originally Posted by MartzMimic View Post
    White gravy and bologna doesn’t sound like barbecue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BBQisgoodfood View Post
    White gravy and bologna doesn’t sound like barbecue to me.
    This BBQ gravy would make a leather boot taste good.

I would generally get their sliced brisket and/or pulled pork, but, yeah, I like a thick slice of smoked bologna every now and then.

Colbert...my home town

9. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    Colbert...my home town
    Are you old enough to remember P O Sam's? He passed away in 85 and I've heard he worked 15 hours every day up to his death.

This is supposed to be the building located on S. Franklin that P O Sam's was in. I don't know the exact location.

I think of bologna like a 6 inch diameter hot dog, does smoking it change texture much?

11. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    I think of bologna like a 6 inch diameter hot dog, does smoking it change texture much?
    Depends on who is smoking it.... I was served bologna jerky at a Rib Crib once.

Depends on who is smoking it.... I was served bologna jerky at a Rib Crib once.
    Not really, but I usually split it in half (pole to pole), slather it with mustard, and give it a healthy coating of rub(s). The chub picks up a pretty decent bark after a few hours of smoke which is a nice contrast to the inner texture of the bologna. Cheap and easy appetizer on game days.

Smoking is much more about taste than texture. That said, a hot dog is entirely encased while the casing is only on the edge of a slice of bologna.

Went during a weekday last week...got there just as they were opening the door and already had a dozen people ahead of me. Easily 50 people came through in the 45 minutes we were eating.

Everything was excellent...the Oaxacan cheese sausage and charro beans were the table's favorite.

Not sure when it changed, but saw its just Thurs Friday Saturday now

i think they tried sunday for a min .. but i am not sure they have ever been open on Monday-Wednesday

17. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

It didn't change.... The only thing that changed is they haved moved away from the "until sold out" business model and are trying to keep all meats available during open hours.

Went last Friday, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

It didn't change.... The only thing that changed is they haved moved away from the "until sold out" business model and are trying to keep all meats available during open hours.
    Last Saturday I stopped by cross timbers, around 2pm. edge craft already had a "sold out" sign taped to the door. Hmm �� ��

Cross timbers had cans of the edge craft bock beer available ��

20. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Last Saturday I stopped by cross timbers, around 2pm. edge craft already had a "sold out" sign taped to the door. Hmm �� ��
    Guess that didn't go as planned then.... Personally when it comes to BBQ I prefer the "until sold out" model.... I'd rather be told they sold out than be served something that was rushed off the smoker.

21. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Guess that didn't go as planned then.... Personally when it comes to BBQ I prefer the "until sold out" model.... I'd rather be told they sold out than be served something that was rushed off the smoker.
    I believe last time Zach said he was still trying to get the balance right to be open 11am to 6pm with enough meat to cover that time. Still learning I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I believe last time Zach said he was still trying to get the balance right to be open 11am to 6pm with enough meat to cover that time. Still learning I would guess.
    I talked to Zach yesterday and he said they are doing better business by staying open later those 3 days versus 4 days and shorter hours.

The neighboring cat cafe is going to bring them even more business.

23. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I talked to Zach yesterday and he said they are doing better business by staying open later those 3 days versus 4 days and shorter hours.

Great! I'm glad he is doing better with the longer hours. I hope this place can keep going. I take out of towners here every time and people are always impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I still need to try them. It has been on my try list for awhile but just haven't made it yet. I just bought property within 100-200 yards of them so no excuse to not walk over there. So excited they are doing well and the cat cafe is coming in. I think this area is going to continue to grow and prosper.

I’ve had cue from Edge Craft twice in the last three weeks. The brisket is still the main draw for me. It is excellent as are most of their sides.

Finally tried the turkey and it was very good.

Grits are great. Okra is very good as are the beans. The collared greens were somewhat meh.

The only meat I’m not very gaga about is the sausage. It just doesn’t win me over and I typically like Central Texas barbecued sausage.

Thread Information