Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Edge Craft BBQ

Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

^

Thank you so very much.

Pretty darn high praise coming from you on the very first day.

I'm hoping their success will result in more such places. Jo-Bawbs seems to fit the bill but with all the crappy BBQ spots in town, we clearly have room for more high-quality offerings.

BTW, Zach had mentioned when I interviewed him that meat supply is incredibly constrained right now.

3. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Thank you so very much.

Pretty darn high praise coming from you on the very first day.

I'm hoping their success will result in more such places. Jo-Bawbs seems to fit the bill but with all the crappy BBQ places in town, we clearly have room for more high-quality offerings.

I've only had Jo-Bawbs once and I wasn't impressed but it was also late and we got the scraps because they were pretty much sold out.... So I don' hold that against them as much as I do us for being stragglers and don't really have an opinion on them yet.

I will say that just with Edge Craft and Clark Crew entering the scene here we have about 1000% better BBQ in OKC right now than we did when I was blogging and there are a few other places that have really stepped up the game here..... I though Pig & Butcher was pretty solid when I ate there about a month ago... I'm sure there are some others but I've really not eaten much BBQ other than my own since Covid started..... Hadn't even been in any type of restaurant until I had my 2nd shot back in March.

4. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

BTW, Zach had mentioned when I interviewed him that meat supply is incredibly constrained right now.
    I noticed that when I was looking for meat for my Independence Day cook.... I normally prefer to cook a 10-12 lb brisket and I couldn't find anything anywhere less than 16 and even then the pickings were slim..... Prices are still pretty inflated too.... I paid close to $100 for my brisket at Winco.

5. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I couldn't fit everyone in the picture. There were at least 10 people behind the guy in the gray shirt. At it's longest there were probably 30 people behind that point.
    I'm the guy in the red shirt at the right edge of that picture next to the guy in the gray shirt..

6. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I'm the guy in the red shirt at the right edge of that picture next to the guy in the gray shirt..
    I was the guy in the Thunder shirt drooling at all the meat you took back to your table

7. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I was the guy in the Thunder shirt drooling at all the meat you took back to your table
    HAHA.... I'm glad it was all great because we're going to be eating BBQ for a few more meals now.

Wanted to say that I was also very pleasantly surprised by the turkey.

It's not something I normally would have ordered but it was darn good, with a nice smokey taste.

That's a good thing because I have pretty much stopped eating red meat, so I'll have a good entre option. Plenty of delicious sides, thankfully.

Also really looking forward to the brewery (Cross Timbers) opening in this complex in the next 1-2 months. The whole development is very cool in a non-contrived way.

9. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Wanted to say that I was also very pleasantly surprised by the turkey.
    The only other place I've ever had smoked poultry that I would order again is at Butcher.

We pulled in right as they were opening the doors and had about a 45 minute wait...

was looking for the line 'bent, folded, spindled, and mutilated' and left disappointed. : )

i've been making a lot of sausage lately... all of the pics i've seen of edge craft's (yours included) look a little grey. does it look like that in person? if so, i guess they're not putting any cure #1 in there. i *think* they made the hot dogs in house at maple's... while i loved that place, i absolutely hated the hot dog that i tried from there. granted, i take some responsibility for ordering a hot dog at a barbecue joint. it wasn't cured at all and basically had no spices in it... basically took two bites and said, 'nope.'

11. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

I think this place screams for an OKCTalk Meat Up.

I’ll see myself out.

12. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    [/COLOR]was looking for the line 'bent, folded, spindled, and mutilated' and left disappointed. : )
    HA! .... Well fortunately the pulled pork at Edge Craft was none of those or you would have heard it..... And not to be too nitpicky but it's "Chopped, folded, spindled, and mutilated."

I think like most sausages served in Central Texas these are uncured.... Generally they are a fresh sausage that may get made the night before or morning of and smoked and eaten within a day.

13. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Here is a traditional Central Texas Hot Guts recipe from Meathead at Amazing Ribs.

• 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
    • ▢2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
    • ▢1 tablespoon mild American paprika
    • ▢2 teaspoons garlic powder
    • ▢2 teaspoons Morton coarse kosher salt
    • ▢2 teaspoons rubbed sage
    • ▢2 teaspoons cayenne, chipotle, or other hot chile powder or flakes
    • ▢1 medium green jalapeno
    • ▢½ small onion
    • ▢3 garlic cloves
    • ▢20 ounces ground pork butt
    • ▢12 ounces ground beef chuck
    • ▢⅓ cup very cold water
    • ▢4 feet pork sausage casings

[/COLOR]was looking for the line 'bent, folded, spindled, and mutilated' and left disappointed. : )

i've been making a lot of sausage lately... all of the pics i've seen of edge craft's (yours included) look a little grey. does it look like that in person? if so, i guess they're not putting any cure #1 in there. i *think* they made the hot dogs in house at maple's... while i loved that place, i absolutely hated the hot dog that i tried from there. granted, i take some responsibility for ordering a hot dog at a barbecue joint. it wasn't cured at all and basically had no spices in it... basically took two bites and said, 'nope.'
    The sausage I had at Edge was not gray; it was a pale redish/pinkish color.

I think like most sausages served in Central Texas these are uncured.... Generally they are a fresh sausage that may get made the night before or morning of and smoked and eaten within a day.
    ok, i see... they must smoke them relatively hot then. i'd think that the typical smoked sausage cook cycle would put you in the danger zone without a little something to help keep pathogens at bay.

i've tried a recipe very similar to the one you included... i really liked the spice profile. however, almost every time i've made sausage with beef in it, i've had trouble getting the meat to bind correctly. i've generally had much better luck with pork.

The sausage I had at Edge was not gray; it was a pale redish/pinkish color.
    good to know... sometimes the color balance on photos throws things off from real life.

17. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

i've had trouble getting the meat to bind correctly. i've generally had much better luck with pork.
    I've seen a few other recipes that call for powdered milk. They may be using that to bind the beef better.

I've seen a few other recipes that call for powdered milk. They may be using that to bind the beef better.
    i've been through powdered milk and have been having some good luck with soy powder... don't think i've tried that with beef yet. it sucks putting so many hours into something only to have it turn out not so great. so, i kind of gave up on beef sausage for the last year... but maybe it's time to try again. lol... sometimes feels like sausage making is half mad science.

19. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

i've been through powdered milk and have been having some good luck with soy powder... don't think i've tried that with beef yet. it sucks putting so many hours into something only to have it turn out not so great. so, i kind of gave up on beef sausage for the last year... but maybe it's time to try again. lol... sometimes feels like sausage making is half mad science.
    I've wanted to get into it for awhile but just haven't had the time or space.... Hopefully when we get the new house built at the farm and I finally have the kitchen of my dreams. I'll be able to delve into it but so far it's been limited to making breakfast sausage when pork butts are on sale.

20. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Talked to Edge. Sold out in 4 hours on Friday. Lots of old friends from Maples came in. This is a great place! Can’t wait to try!

I stopped by today.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xTaX1RayEq5adc8y9

I came in at about 12:15 and the sausage was already sold out. Grabbed what I could. Good call on the turkey everybody that called it. My favorites were the rib, turkey, brisket, and then pulled pork. The pulled pork I thought was the only one that required the sauce, which the sauce I believe is a little thinner than what was at Maples? Has more spices in it though.

All the sides were good, and the banana pudding was good too. I never got it at Maples, but there are banana slices at the bottom. The potato salad had a bit of vinegar in it which I thought was odd, but they quartered the potatoes instead of diced which I liked.

If/when I go back I'll probably get try the sausage, and get a variation of turkey, ribs, elote, mac & cheese, and the banana pudding. Turns out I could walk there, or scooter if one ever ends up in my neighborhood.

22. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I believe is a little thinner than what was at Maples? Has more spices in it though.
    I felt like the sauce was a little more like the original sauce at Maple's that they only had for a brief time and then switched to a thicker sauce. It was more vinegar based and at the time made some pretty meh pulled pork on it's own into a pretty great bite..... I do think the pulled pork has improved since the early days of Maple's but, like you, still think it's the weakest of Edge Craft's offerings. <--- And note that this doesn't mean I think the pulled pork was bad... It's just my least favorite of the meats served there.

I will say that I used the leftover pulled pork, I had mixed in with some of the Edge Craft spicy sauce, to make some pulled pork nachos and that was pretty tasty.

I will say that I used the leftover pulled pork, I had mixed in with some of the Edge Craft spicy sauce, to make some pulled pork nachos and that was pretty tasty.
    Not a bad idea...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210806_130750 (1).jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	17020
    I will definitely be back. The fatty brisket is great. They were sold out of sausage by 12:45 today.

25. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    I will definitely be back. The fatty brisket is great. They were sold out of sausage by 12:45 today.
    I have a feeling that's going to be a common occurrence. I was told they are making the sausage in house with brisket trimmings and if that is the case there is a limited supply of trimmings to make sausage with each day.... I don't know how aggressively Zach is trimming those briskets but when I trim a brisket it's about 99% fat I'm trimming...... Martin can probably verify if I'm correct on this since he makes sausages but I think the fat percent is usually about 30% in sausage.

Thread Information