Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Edge Craft BBQ

1. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

We need a Roger review of the place!

I loved Maples. I went a ton and got a lot of people to try it. I was sad when they closed down. I'll be trying this out soon.

Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    We need a Roger review of the place!

I loved Maples. I went a ton and got a lot of people to try it. I was sad when they closed down. I'll be trying this out soon.
    Agreed! Very much looking forward to Roger S's impressions.

My initial impression is that this place is better than Maples; and I liked Maples.

Can’t wait. In that area some for lunch. Hope to catch them on their 3 day work week.

+1 waiting for Roger.

5. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

I learned really fast during the time I ran the blog not to get my hopes too high about new places. There was only one occasion when I learned of a new place that I could let my guard down and that was when David Bouska told me they were opening Butcher BBQ at a contest I was judging.... I had no doubt those guys were going to knock it out of the park.

Having had Zack's product at Maple's and having spent a few hours over there talking with him about BBQ and knowing his passion about it. I have absolutely no doubt I'm going to love what he's doing at Edge Craft...... Especially since I know I mentioned a few times here that I wanted to try small batch BBQ here myself when I was looking at getting into the business.

Now I will go ahead and say I will have one complaint possibly...... I didn't see any Big Red in the pic that had the sodas in it and when I'm in Texas eating BBQ you can bet I'm drinking Big Red with it..... Unless I have a designated driver.... Then it's Shiner..... Which may be a sin in Texas but I prefer Shiner to Lone Star.

On the plus side since I mostly drink Big Red Zero.... I loaded up on it while I was in Texas a few weeks ago. So I can bring my own!

^

You should recommend Big Red to Zach.

They may be planning to add it already, as they aren't even open yet.

7. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

No Big Red?!?! What will they take from us next? Our slice of white bread?!

agreed. to truly be Central Texas BBQ... they need Big Red

9. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Well I'm not expecting to see any saltines or ordering your meat in one line and your sides in another either.... Not that ordering in separate lines will disappoint me..... The saltines maybe a little.

Just traded texts with Zach and he said they will definitely be carrying Big Red.

He said he's been waiting to get it in bottles but there has been a national bottle shortage. So, at least in cans and hopefully in bottles down the road.

11. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Can we cool it with all the talk about Edge Craft? It's making my wait time on Friday go through the roof

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Can we cool it with all the talk about Edge Craft? It's making my wait time on Friday go through the roof
    You better get there early. They are going to sellout fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just traded texts with Zach and he said they will definitely be carrying Big Red.

He said he's been waiting to get it in bottles but there has been a national bottle shortage. So, at least in cans and hopefully in bottles down the road.
    okay good... then i will be checking it out...

14. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

It can be tough to find around here when there are no shortages and Big Red Zero is practically non-existent around here..... I think Big Red is bottled by Dr Pepper now and Dr Pepper has been dealing with shortages for awhile.... The Casey's by my house was down to a handful of bottles in their case yesterday but had plenty of every other brand of soda they offer.

15. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

You better get there early. They are going to sellout fast.
    I'm planning on getting there early and taking a lawn chair.

I'm planning on getting there early taking a lawn chair.
    Haha...

Take photos!

17. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

I'm planning on getting there early taking a lawn chair.
    LOL..... Hope you start a trend for him... Make Edge Craft the Franklin's of Oklahoma!

Reminder they open today.

Hours are 11 a.m. to sell out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

19. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

The wait is at least an hour, but they have complimentary beer while you wait.

The wait is at least an hour, but they have complimentary beer while you wait.
    Photos please.

And free beer!

21. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

Photos please.

And free beer!
    Check your email. I sent a picture.

The ribs were the best I've ever had. The sausage was sold out. The brisket was good, but not outstanding. The turkey was very good and the pulled pork was fine (not my favorite meat). The okra was outstanding, the cole slaw was a bit to vinegary for my taste, the smoked elote was very good and not something you often see on BBQ menus. The beans were typical BBQ restaurant beans, good but nothing special.
    All in all, very high quality place. I'd rate it slightly ahead of Clark Crew, but not quite at the level of Butcher Block in Wellston. That may change if I just happened to catch them on an off day for their brisket.

I'll definitely go back when the new wears off. The wait was over an hour even though I got there slightly after 11:00. The line was still very long when I left and many people left after seeing how long the line was. This place is going to be a huge hit.

^

I absolutely loved that smoked elote.

And the collard greens were surprisingly good.

The whole vibe of the place is very cool.

Very happy to hear there was such a good turnout. I'm sure after they get rolling they'll increase their quantities and add more days.

Courtesy of catcherinthewry:

24. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

I couldn't fit everyone in the picture. There were at least 10 people behind the guy in the gray shirt. At it's longest there were probably 30 people behind that point.

25. Default Re: Edge Craft BBQ

We pulled in right as they were opening the doors and had about a 45 minute wait. I'm sure it will smooth out as they get settled in and the initial anticipation dies down. I was also told that the BBQSnob from Texas Monthly was the first in line but I haven't been able to verify that his last Instagram post was on the 22nd from somewhere in Minnesota.... Knowing he's been travelling and has inlaws in OKC... It's quite possible he was there.

I didn't get a beer but a couple of co-workers did. They both had beers from the brewery opening at the other end of Dead People's Stuff and both enjoyed them. The beers had cilantro, coriander, and lime and I wish I had tried one because I love cilantro.... Think they also had some Stonecloud beers available too.

Now for the food..... which is showing up rotated in the preview but appears to rotate correctly if you click it... at least on my browser

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0177.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	16992

I really had no doubts about Zach's skill as a pitmaster but he still told me not to judge him on his first day and also commented he was still working on dialing in his new smoker..... Well as a former two-bit, hack, wannabe, Q blogger.... I'm here to judge!

We'll start with something I would usually not order but since I was threatened if I didn't bring BBQ home with me I would have some privileges taken away... So I just ordered some of everything! ..... So my thoughts on the turkey..... It was moist, tender, and simply seasoned with mostly salt and pepper.... Normally I would never go to a BBQ joint and order turkey but I would order this turkey again.

I never cared much for the pulled pork I tried at Maple's so I'm taking a wild guess here and saying he changed his recipe a little because while not the best pulled pork I've ever had. It was moist, tender, and had good flavor... I also tried a bite of it with the spicy sauce and the sauce complemented it well.

The spare ribs were cooked perfect, tender but not falling off the bone, but I hope he looks at getting a different supplier for his ribs because they were kind of thin on the top. Once again he stuck with the simple salt and pepper dominant rub and I really enjoy that flavor profile.

The sausages are made in house and some people might find them a touch salty but I thought they were great as did everyone in my group. Right now he just has one flavor but I'm betting that as he gets settled in we get some more options.... I'm hoping for a jalapeno version or hotter.

And now for the brisket...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0178.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	16993

I didn't see him slip the burnt ends in my order, no one else at my table got them and they definitely aren't on the menu or something you typically find in Central Texas, So I may have gotten the star treatment that I always tried to avoid when I was a super-secret anonymous blogger but if he ever offers them to you... Don't pass them up because they were great!

I went with moist(fatty) brisket and it was as good as most I have had in Texas. Had a great bark and that salt and pepper profile that Central Texas is known for.

I'm not going to say everything was absolutely perfect on their opening day but it was close enough that I'm not going to quibble with the few minute details that most people are never going to notice.... Plus he admitted he's still learning how that new pit cooks. I have no doubt he'll get it all dialed in.

For my sides I had okra, mac and cheese, and collard greens..... The okra was crispy and well seasoned. I had heard some people say the mac and cheese was bland. I thought it was solid, had good cheese flavor, and the pasta was cooked great..... I absolutely hate overcooked pasta and this was holding together nice..... I was already pretty full by the time I got to the greens but they bite I took I liked.

Thread Information