Widgets Magazine

Thread: Custom storm door and painting quote?

Default Custom storm door and painting quote?

New to this part of homeownership, so hopefully the vast experience of OKCTalk can help out here. Need to replace our front storm door and get the porch and front door repainted.

Storm door measurements are 37 3/4" W (top, bottom is 38 1/8"), and 81 3/4" H. From what I've seen, we're going to need a custom storm door, and we just want an all glass one, I believe. Guessing it's gonna cost around $500 - is that in the ballpark? And where would be the best place to get one (don't know if we should do local (Forest?) or some place like Andersen)?

Front door has 3 raised and stepped medallions (I think that's the right term). First estimate we got for the outside of it to be completely stripped and repainted is for $850 (paint and labor). Seems high to me, but there will be extra labor for stripping/sanding around all the medallions - is that reasonable?

Porch and steps is about 120 sq. ft., needs to be scraped/stripped and repainted, estimate is $900 (paint and labor) - again, seems high, is that reasonable?

Oh, and we're having the front door tested for lead since house has been around since 1950 - we know the last repaint happened about 2000, not sure how much earlier the previous one happened (appears to be only be two repaints, it was originally just stained). That's gonna add a lot to the cost if it comes up positive, but we're hopeful, needs to be tested because door is in such bad shape, it needs to be completely stripped.

Thanks much...

Name:  Screenshot 2021-06-10 180256.png
Views: 205
Size:  32.2 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-10 180740.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	16897

Default Re: Custom storm door and painting quote?

It might be high, but let me gently suggest that you have zero leverage in the market. Material prices have neve been higher and labor is in short supply. Houses are selling in record time for record premiums. Renovation and repair providers are just as high in demand. You have a request that is neither quick or easy. People that are good at what you need are working for flippers and making steady money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    It might be high, but let me gently suggest that you have zero leverage in the market. Material prices have neve been higher and labor is in short supply. Houses are selling in record time for record premiums. Renovation and repair providers are just as high in demand. You have a request that is neither quick or easy. People that are good at what you need are working for flippers and making steady money.
    Thanks for the reply, and yeah, I know, worst time to buy a car or screw with house stuff, but this has gotta be done, our old storm door is literally falling apart and you can see the shape of the door/porch. We want to do it right, we don't want just anybody's Cousin Eddie to come over and slap a coat of paint over everything and then roar off in his RV, so I figure we'll end up paying a premium, didn't know it would be that much, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Storm door measurements are 37 3/4" W (top, bottom is 38 1/8"), and 81 3/4" H. From what I've seen, we're going to need a custom storm door, and we just want an all glass one, I believe. Guessing it's gonna cost around $500 - is that in the ballpark? And where would be the best place to get one (don't know if we should do local (Forest?) or some place like Andersen)?
    i'm actually shopping around for a storm door myself, but won't be needing a custom size. an in-stock, full glass door without hardware starts around $200-$300 at a big box retailer. the door hardware (handle, closer, etc.) will be around another $100. i'm not sure what installation would run these days but $200 would probably be the basement price for a big box contractor. that said, it wouldn't surprise me if it cost closer to $1000 to get a custom door installed.

Was quoted $138 to install storm door by Home Depot this week. They come out and measure. One of the two doorways was off by 3/4 of an inch from standard and the installer said it would run about $500 for a customer Anderson storm door or he could rip down the trim piece for additional $40.

^not bad... were you satisfied with the install quality? personally, that's my biggest concern going through a big box like home depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i'm actually shopping around for a storm door myself, but won't be needing a custom size. an in-stock, full glass door without hardware starts around $200-$300 at a big box retailer. the door hardware (handle, closer, etc.) will be around another $100. i'm not sure what installation would run these days but $200 would probably be the basement price for a big box contractor. that said, it wouldn't surprise me if it cost closer to $1000 to get a custom door installed.
    I was hoping I could do installation myself, doesn't seem that hard. I am apparently just out of touch with what standard all-glass doors cost, was surprised they were around $300 at a big box store. I wish we could just remove some trim (a la SouthSide's post) to make a standard door fit, but ours is the other way - doorway is too wide and too tall for a standard one, argh...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    ^not bad... were you satisfied with the install quality? personally, that's my biggest concern going through a big box like home depot.
    Not installed yet. The color i want isn't in stock so it will be about 5 weeks before install. I have used Home Depot installation services before and they are very responsive to any concerns. Fortunately, I haven't had any major issues with the their services.

Thread Information