Widgets Magazine
Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 186364656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1943

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I guess Devon didn't have to go through hoops on their original 925' building.

Anyway - I'll let this play out, it's way too partisan on here.
    Of course they did, as did almost every construction project.

The difference is, they didn't make a big deal out of a silly procedural step. In fact, I've never heard this mentioned by a single developer in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    The Legends tower is still blowing up big on social media. I know the algorithm is doing its thing, but it is wild to see people all over the world posting about this tower. I like to read the comments on the posts and get a vibe of what people in other cities and countries think.

The general themes I am seeing under the posts:
    -Tornado
    -But why?
    -OKC has no other buildings (many of the posts are using the rendering that does not show any real OKC background/skyline)
    -Cool, but then you have to live in OKC.
    -America! ('sticking it to the libs' on the coasts by using oil money to build a giant middle finger)
    These are the true 'Partisan' themes and they all missed the most important theme: Traditional media taking everything the developer says at face value with no research at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    These are the true 'Partisan' themes and they all missed the most important theme: Traditional media taking everything the developer says at face value with no research at all.
    I figured the parties were: People who refuse to acknowledge reality and take every word the developer says as gospel vs. those who have read both sides of this and aren’t too gullible to be skeptical of the entire project.

4. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

^
    I would like to think the modern engineering thing holds true. But I would have to see such a building survive the 90s tornado that left a swath of bare dirt through Moore before I'd stay near such a building in a bad storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    ^
    I would like to think the modern engineering thing holds true. But I would have to see such a building survive the 90s tornado that left a swath of bare dirt through Moore before I'd stay near such a building in a bad storm.
    Very few buildings of any size will survive an EF-5 tornado.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I didn't initially use the partisan word, Hot Rod did. Thus when I used it I but it in quotes. I stand by my media comment, there was no effort made to one bit of research.
    I didn’t want to copy and paste it or do something I don’t know how to do like Cc the guy. And I mean they journalist probably dead ended. You can’t report fraud without proof. And the lackmeyer article I read touched on the lack of bona fides as much without broaching slander. It’s not good journalism to call a liar a liar without absolute proof. Even then all you can do is report the facts. Besides Matteson could easily say that this is his opinion of what is going to happen and then it’s not lying but freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I didn’t want to copy and paste it or do something I don’t know how to do like Cc the guy. And I mean they journalist probably dead ended. You can’t report fraud without proof. And the lackmeyer article I read touched on the lack of bona fides as much without broaching slander. It’s not good journalism to call a liar a liar without absolute proof. Even then all you can do is report the facts. Besides Matteson could easily say that this is his opinion of what is going to happen and then it’s not lying but freedom of speech.
    How about the Journal Record who reported on a 1100 ft tower in Miami? I guess they are still verifying that.....

I had mentioned that in 2016, Matteson proposed a large resort in Palm Desert built around a sizeable wave pool geared towards surfers; this was under Matteson Capital, the entity he is using for the Boardwalk at Bricktown. At the same time, he was proposing similar projects in a half-dozen cities.

I found minutes from city council where he told them the project was "fully funded" and would start as soon as he could gain the necessary zoning approvals.

What happened instead is that the project completely collapsed and now there is a new group (Matteson is not involved) that came in and is moving forward.

Still not able to find anything that has been done by Matteson himself or by Matteson Capital.

Does that mean this project probably won’t be happening? Not the tall building, but the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermelonsugar View Post
    Does that mean this project probably won’t be happening? Not the tall building, but the others.
    Its just another piece of information for people to decide for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I had mentioned that in 2016, Matteson proposed a large resort in Palm Desert built around a sizeable wave pool geared towards surfers; this was under Matteson Capital, the entity he is using for the Boardwalk at Bricktown. At the same time, he was proposing similar projects in a half-dozen cities.

I found minutes from city council where he told them the project was "fully funded" and would start as soon as he could gain the necessary zoning approvals.

What happened instead is that the project completely collapsed and now there is a new group (Matteson is not involved) that came in and is moving forward.

Still not able to find anything that has been done by Matteson himself or by Matteson Capital.
    Isn't this the same guy that bought Royco on Succession?

I mean...hard to see it in any way being a good sign.

There are tiers of developers., for instance 10 years ago when lackmeher said Hines was building to BOKPP. I knew that from day one it was a go. Scott matteson just isn’t on the food chain. And okc has a almost unprecedented lack of density for a city its size. The guy probably thought there is an opportunity to make some money off investors.,

There are tiers of developers., for instance 10 years ago when lackmeher said Hines was building to BOKPP. I knew that from day one it was a go. Scott matteson just isn’t on the food chain. And okc has a almost unprecedented lack of density for a city its size. The guy probably thought there is an opportunity to make some money off investors.,
    Seems to be plenty of office space downtown. That leaves hotel/residdntial. I don’t see any vertical condos being built any time soon. Not when it’s so cheap to build sprawl. Look at the footprint some of these places downtown have. If only there were a way to require going vertical.that said I was very unimpressed when Omni didn’t include residential but Fort Worth and Louisville did. (Smaller city in my opinion but better QOL). I feel like okc is stuck in a rut of sorts and don’t see a way out.

There are tiers of developers., for instance 10 years ago when lackmeher said Hines was building to BOKPP.
    mostly because hines was not behind that project ..... that was built by and still owned by DEVON >>>

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    mostly because hines was not behind that project ..... that was built by and still owned by DEVON >>>
    Yes, I double-checked with Hines and they were Development Managers for Devon Energy Center and BOK Park Plaza. Devon was always the owner of both.

Just a reminder Dream Hotels still has OKC on their coming soon list on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Just a reminder Dream Hotels still has OKC on their coming soon list on their website.
    I would be very happy if we at least get the Dream Hotel out of this project.

But they only have 6 operating hotels worldwide and list 11 more as coming soon. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, I double-checked with Hines and they were Development Managers for Devon Energy Center and BOK Park Plaza. Devon was always the owner of both.
    yep lackmeyer insisted that hines owned BOK for years and years ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    yep lackmeyer insisted that hines owned BOK for years and years ..
    It is hard to imagine Steve Lackmeyer was uninformed on an easily verifiable topic.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    It is hard to imagine Steve Lackmeyer was uninformed on an easily verifiable topic.
    Amazing.

I one day aspire to have a passion any passion as insurmountable as the disdain of Steve lackmeher on this page.

23. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

This made me laugh so hard! When I worked at the Colcord Hotel, we housed most of Hines' Executive staff while they managed the tower build. He would always drop in to say hi and ask if we had heard anything about the project. Haha!

Maybe some random guy on the street told him this and he didn't to risk being sued for slander?

Edit Yes, I'm joking. Earlier reference to a comment made upthread.

Seems to be plenty of office space downtown. That leaves hotel/residdntial. I donÂ’t see any vertical condos being built any time soon. Not when itÂ’s so cheap to build sprawl. Look at the footprint some of these places downtown have. If only there were a way to require going vertical.that said I was very unimpressed when Omni didnÂ’t include residential but Fort Worth and Louisville did. (Smaller city in my opinion but better QOL). I feel like okc is stuck in a rut of sorts and donÂ’t see a way out.
    Not really a rut. OKC has been consistently adding apartments in the core for years now, but for reasons you outlined in your own post, they are not 30+ story high rises. The amount of undeveloped and underdeveloped land available in and around downtown doesn't really dictate a need for that. Requiring vertical would do nothing to change that, but the ongoing infill does. So, we're most likely not going to see it with new construction until infill doesn't meet demand or a developer thinks they can sell it as a "lifestyle" development. I think the latter could work at this point, if done right, and it sounded like maybe this was going to be the project to test that market, but it's gotten so ridiculous that it may ultimately just delay downtown from seeing any such kind of high rise residential development.

Thread Information