Widgets Magazine
Page 49 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1943

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I would be beyond thrilled if we get the 3 towers.
    The 3 towers seem pretty realistic and obtainable, right?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    New Yorkers are not too happy, lol.

man they are salty!

Quote Originally Posted by EtanEiko View Post
    The 3 towers seem pretty realistic and obtainable, right?
    I mean that to me is the question. It’s more realistic but at the same time I’m not counting chickens until I see the tower cranes go up for the 3rd tower. Would a 4th tower be great? Sure! A tall one would be awesome but sometimes people do things to try to round up investors too which makes me think the 3rd tower may be pie in the sky too

Added to the OKC model I have. Also, how can I upload images "as is" instead of uploading small attachments?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BWOKC.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	18585

5. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

nice model, seems to fit in nicely from this angle actually. I'd like to see other prospectives if possible.

very interesting to see all of the firms involved in this project. OKCFreePress has the details. This also has me very hopeful that this WILL get built, phase 1 and 2. why would these firms risk their credibility if this was a scam.

OKC is on the rise, big time, I think this just illustrates that. The fact that this will be OKC's first luxury multi-use high rise residential, makes sense that they're going big. We'll never see this (Legends Tower) again, so why not set the standard and WAKE UP New York and Chicago in the process?

Puts OKC on the WORLD map as well, sixth tallest tower. WOW.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

If I've learned anything about urban development from following this forum for well over a decade, it's that you should always presume a development may not happen or will be scaled back. It happens all the time. I think the chances of this super tall happening are very, very small. I'm just hopeful the other towers happen, which is not at all a sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Everybody sees things from their own perspectives and neither of us is "right" or "wrong."

Personally I find it hard to believe a developer will spend what will easily be hundreds of millions of dollars to build a 134 story building just to make a statement. Who in the world would finance that? And why would a California developer care about "creating a landmark" in Oklahoma City? He will build it if the market need will dictate it and if he could get financing. I just doubt either of those will materialize.

I see people talk about OKC wanting/needing a landmark structure a la the space needle. But very few cities really have that. What is the landmark structure in Phoenix? Or Charlotte? Or Pittsburgh? Or for that matter since they are booming cities - Austin or Nashville? I will tell you from experience that St. Louis has a landmark - the Gateway Arch - and the urban core of this city has faded pretty dramatically in the 60 years since it was built. Not one iota of difference has the Arch made to St. Louis beyond a pretty picture as you cross the river. Not saying these things have to be mutually exclusive. You could have a landmark and a thriving city. But this just seems like a vanity project. And not realistic. I think this developer is capitalizing on the attention this is getting (It was in the Daily Mail in London, for God's sakes!) and bully for him.

It's fun to speculate and dream and that's what this thread is about. But the 35 story towers in Phase 1 will be their own game changer, and in a good way, and have a much better chance of happening.
    While I can see your argument here, I'll also be willing to play a little devils advocate to what's been highlighted; The question of landmarks.
    Phoenix: The city itself and mountains behind it, not even manmade, the best kind of landmark is the one you build around. The same can be said for Salt Lake, but there's so much around that you don't need anything tall to stick out.
    Charlotte: Bank of America Corporate Center, the tallest structure and the most prominent in the night skyline. It's an icon that's easily identifiable among the other larger cities in the nation. Bright as hell at night too.
    Pittsburgh: Easily the three sisters, all three being suspension bridges spanning the Allegany River. They're also all yellow, along with a few of the other bridges spanning the river. It's configuration gives it the distinction of "Bridge City."
    Austin: It's namesake the Austonian. It might be in the running for third place with Sixth and Guadalupe being constructed, but it's position from the river's vantage point stands out far better than anything else in town.
    Nashville: Easily the AT&T Building, it's unique crown configuration stands out from everything else in the surrounding area, even if it's not the tallest building in the city. You identify Nashville because of that building.

Now granted, the Arch in St. Louis does bring tourism, interesting elevator ride up to the top. But it's a limited space icon, you can only have so many attend, so few taken in an elevator (like 3-5 at a time due to space), and the city hasn't done much with itself over the past decade. It had the hip-hop scene that made it mainstream in the early 2000's, but that's all it had up to that point other than a few other things like the NFL, MLB, and MLS. But with the NFL taking it's leave back to LA, those billions in revenue have been lost. Large cities like New York, LA, and SF are losing citizens due to affordability, cost of living is far too much for basic amenities, much less the luxuries offered in those areas. Each of those cities have landmarks, or multiples of them.

For OKC, the landmark we currently have is the Devon, easily the most identifiable beacon we have in the middle of the prairie. But even that place has trouble keeping the lights on at night (that's a corporate issue), and has been having those issues for going on over half a decade now. And with more spots downtown filling up, I think that having this would be a huge commercial and residential benefit. See how those New Yorkers take pride in their tower? We understand what it means to them, and that where it stands looks over the shadow of what's been lost. This project comes nowhere near close to that purpose, but it has brought international attention to our growing hamlet, a place I've manage to watch grow from the sleepy days of the 90's, the relative quiet of the turning century, to the more bombastic term of the latter half of that initial decade. Now we enter into our "ascended boomtown" age, where we get the big things, the flashy things, the stuff that makes your jaw drop. Even if it's merely a proposition, it's grabbed the attention of the world and now there's eyes on us. If it falls through, it would be a global disappointment, but at least we'll have some international interests looking our way outside of the slight portion of the Olympics we're set to host. If it's built to even half of what we have proposed, that's over 900 feet we're looking at to match the size of the Devon. If built up to vision, we'd see an enormous boom of economic interest.

We love this development for the game changer it is in reality, even for the first phase. But the buzz this second phase has created looks to make it more probable. There will be more sponsors than the ones currently projected if they show they're serious about this tower being built. To simply sum it up: If you build it, they will come... running.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post

This was hilarious. They even found a Texan and got an "OU sucks" out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    If I've learned anything about urban development from following this forum for well over a decade, it's that you should always presume a development may not happen or will be scaled back. It happens all the time. I think the chances of this super tall happening are very, very small. I'm just hopeful the other towers happen, which is not at all a sure thing.
    Let's just be honest. The tallest tower in the country is NOT happening.

A two or three tower arrangement in range of 300-500ft seems very doable though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kanaly View Post
    Added to the OKC model I have. Also, how can I upload images "as is" instead of uploading small attachments?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BWOKC.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	18585
    Cool! I also modeled the 4 buildings into my model of OKC I have. I used postimages.org to get image URLs.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    Cool! I also modeled the 4 buildings into my model of OKC I have. I used postimages.org to get image URLs.

From the NW angle it actually looks quite nice haha.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
    Let's just be honest. The tallest tower in the country is NOT happening.

A two or three tower arrangement in range of 300-500ft seems very doable though.
    That IMO is an fair assessment; however, lately a lot of focus has been on OKC. There has got to be some 'unknowns'
    that developers know for them to dangle this project out there.

Why OKC, IDK. Maybe Pete has spotted some leads he's not ready to release.

If it were built, I can't help but wonder how far away you would be able to see it. Too bad you can't go on Google maps, and place an item of any height, to see how far away it would be visible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    If it were built, I can't help but wonder how far away you would be able to see it. Too bad you can't go on Google maps, and place an item of any height, to see how far away it would be visible.
    Since it is so flat around OKC you could calculate it. Use the height and the arc of the earth.

I've already seen downtown from a couple of locations: I-40/US 81 in El Reno, and from the north, State Hwy 74F, just west of Hwy 74 (Portland Ave.). Both locations 23ish miles from downtown.

The Devon tower can be seen at several locations near Purcell which is around 30ish miles. New tower would be visible from Texas

When Devon tower was under construction a member here looked at the topography of the state to figure out how far away you would be able to see it and it was pretty fascinating. Would be cool if somebody would do that again.

Driving westbound on I-40, you can see Devon from the US-177 interchange just west of Shawnee, and from El Reno, driving eastbound on I-40, so this would be waaaay more visible...

The amount of national press they have gotten is insane. But I guess that was the point.............

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    Uh oh! Looks like the tower is already leaning... the Leaning Tower of OKC. Twister must have knocked it off center.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Uh oh! Looks like the tower is already leaning... the Leaning Tower of OKC. Twister must have knocked it off center.
    Nah, man. It's the Chuck Norris Tower. It knocks the Twister out.

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    man they are salty!
    LOL at the "OU sucks" comment. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by dtnatt View Post
    The amount of national press they have gotten is insane. But I guess that was the point.............
    International! I was reading stories about it in European outlets. It's genius marketing.

24. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

From 1907 feet the distance to horizon is 53.5 miles on otherwise flat ground. This would mean, depending upon corresponding elevations and elimination of visual obstructions, that you'd almost certainly be able to see the top of the (currently fictitious) tower from places like Hennessey, Stillwater, Stroud, Seminole, Paul's Valley, Rush Springs, Anadarko, Fort Cobb Reservoir, Watonga.

When it comes to existing buildings I recall 30+ years ago when I lived in north Edmond - north of Covell and Santa Fe - that I could see BancFirst (then Liberty) tower when I pulled onto Santa Fe north of Covell. That's 20+ miles, and that building is only 500'. I do believe there was a bit of an elevation trick when viewed from that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    From 1907 feet the distance to horizon is 53.5 miles on otherwise flat ground. This would mean, depending upon corresponding elevations and elimination of visual obstructions, that you'd almost certainly be able to see the top of the (currently fictitious) tower from places like Hennessey, Stillwater, Stroud, Seminole, Paul's Valley, Rush Springs, Anadarko, Fort Cobb Reservoir, Watonga.

When it comes to existing buildings I recall 30+ years ago when I lived in north Edmond - north of Covell and Santa Fe - that I could see BancFirst (then Liberty) tower when I pulled onto Santa Fe north of Covell. That's 20+ miles, and that building is only 500'. I do believe there was a bit of an elevation trick when viewed from that location.
    Stillwater is in a valley, so you likely won't see it from there, unless you go outside of town to a higher elevation. An example would be near the junction of I-35 and Highway 51, especially if the Oklahoma City antenna farm can be seen from there. Towers are around 1,550 ft. Maybe some of the radio and tv station transmitters would want to move to the top of Legacy. And improve reception outside of the metro area, especially to the south.

Student housing on the north side of OSU is at a higher-than-average elevation. Perhaps the tower would be seen from the top floors.

Thread Information