Widgets Magazine
Page 31 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

1. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    Thanks Dad for the lecture.
    I support the idea. If it succeeds great, if it doesn’t then the prices come down. I was stating an opinion on the price. The FNC from what I can find has 193 residences and only 2/3 full and then we are going to add 900 more around the same cost. I hope it fills up, I really do. All I was showing was the math and how if this could be problematic at that price. My wife and I could afford it but at our age would not choose to live in an apt even with kids leaving the nest. I would prefer to be in a tent on the beach. So to reiterate- I want this to work. I’m a skeptic by nature and having been born and raised in Okc I love the development going on. I love it.
    You gotta watch that being a skeptic around here. You'll catch flak for it.

Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    You gotta watch that being a skeptic around here. You'll catch flak for it.
    People don't catch flak for being skeptical. They get slammed for being skeptical and excessively negative about everything or obsessive and unreasonably negative about one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Heres one that popped up after a search.

https://www.kxii.com/2022/01/20/wind...ublic-schools/
    that has nothing to do with devon tower

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    People don't catch flak for being skeptical. They get slammed for being skeptical and excessively negative about everything or obsessive and unreasonably negative about one thing.
    There's a few on here that can't get over incentives to make a high end game changing project work. Might as well cancel everything and just keep the parking lots.... smdh

5. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Well I do suffer from OCD but I don’t believe I have been excessively negative- oh well if I have. I’m not worried about my popularity, so it doesn’t bother me. I’ll treat it like a game of old man on the porch yelling at kids to get off my lawn.
    Now that I have said that - I personally don’t care about the incentives to builders/developers - let them have them if they can get them. I do live in Okc/OK county and my money does pay taxes here, but this doesn’t really affect me in general. I’m not going to live there, but sure I will stroll around it once built.

6. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Thanks Dad for the lecture.
    I support the idea. If it succeeds great, if it doesn’t then the prices come down. I was stating an opinion on the price. The FNC from what I can find has 193 residences and only 2/3 full and then we are going to add 900 more around the same cost. I hope it fills up, I really do. All I was showing was the math and how if this could be problematic at that price. My wife and I could afford it but at our age would not choose to live in an apt even with kids leaving the nest. I would prefer to be in a tent on the beach. So to reiterate- I want this to work. I’m a skeptic by nature and having been born and raised in Okc I love the development going on. I love it.
    You're welcome son. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    that has nothing to do with devon tower
    I did look it up on the county assessor and it is indeed assessed about $90M short of what it was previously.

Accurate.

feel like that was a really harsh reaction from hotrod. if the taxpayer is footing 1/3 of the cost, then the taxpayer has every right to voice opinion, concerns, or what they feel are shortcomings for the project.

of course okc is going to use TIF to help finance projects that will make a meaningful change to the city. of course OKC is going to provide incentives to bring businesses, housing, and amenities in. and they should! but if my taxes are helping pay for it, i'm allowed to ask questions and provide opinions.

10. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    You're welcome son. ..
    Move back to Okc then come at me for voicing my opinion as city dwelling tax payer.

If only the airport director had the leadership and courage we could get direct flights to London

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    If only the airport director had the leadership and courage we could get direct flights to London
    And if he had some real balls, he’d get all these lazy developers to get off their butts and build something immediately.

Sadly, no London flights and empty undeveloped land everywhere with not a big league city worthy project to be seen.

Move back to Okc then come at me for voicing my opinion as city dwelling tax payer.
    Our first “come at me bro!” of the month!!!!

14. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Our first “come at me bro!” of the month!!!!
    Bro!
    Bro?
    Bro….

Carras told council members that the Boardwalk project will be built tower by tower based on leasing benchmarks and that it will take between two and six years for completion.
    I hope the TIF award can be structured on a per-tower basis as well.

Blog Entries

Built tower by tower based on leasing you don't say? And I was told this post of mine was wrong:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    The residential towers are in three phases, they are slated to start one year after the previous phase, but I can tell you that is what the very best case that developer hopes for and phases two and three will start as demand allows. What is the current absorption rate in Oklahoma City for premium high rise apartments? Is there a precedent that shows the market can take on 300+ units per year?

The $200,000,000 TIF for this project passed City Council today 7-2, with Cooper and Hamon voting against.

As I always like to point out, by the time these incentives hit a public agenda, closed-door meetings have already taken place and they only move forward when they have enough support at all levels to get approval.

As far as I know - and I've been closely following all this for close to two decades - every single TIF award has passed at every single level due to this process.

I'm generally excited that this is moving forward, but I hope the big dangle of affordable housing is something concrete. After watching Tsoodle on the news last night, it's obvious he doesn't consider housing affordability to be a priority. Randy Hogan and the people involved with this should feel compelled to follow through on the promise, but there is absolutely nothing holding them to it. They can basically do what they want now.

Knowing that, I would have been inclined to vote "No" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I'm generally excited that this is moving forward, but I hope the big dangle of affordable housing is something concrete. After watching Tsoodle on the news last night, it's obvious he doesn't consider housing affordability to be a priority. Randy Hogan and the people involved with this should feel compelled to follow through on the promise, but there is absolutely nothing holding them to it. They can basically do what they want now.

Knowing that, I would have been inclined to vote "No" as well.
    Why would they devote units to affordable housing when they can make a lot more money with market-rate apartments?

I would be shocked if that component stayed; they have zero contractual obligation and it would cost them a lot of money.

21. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

affordable housing does not always mean LOW income housing. there was a presentation where they indicated the affordable housing metric for Oklahoma City is 1,800 for a 2 br residence (or is it 1,600?). This metric was provided by HUD and was indicated it's on par with Houston and Los Angeles; a bit surprising for OKC but still it is from the federal government (HUD).

1800 if that's what it ends up being is not like giving apartments for free, and you can be sure the affordable units will be on low floors. I too hope they include because they will still be able to make money AND provide a service to those who could not otherwise live in a luxury highrise.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

22. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Oklahoma City is 1,800 for a 2 br residence
    Surely that can't be right?

23. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Surely that can't be right?
    The Douglass at Page Woodson when it first opened had almost all affordable housing rates. A one-bedroom was $675. Not sure if you still have to meet the affordable standards there, but they have gone up to $840 for a one-bedroom. A two bedroom is $999 a month.

Page Woodson Pricing

Hopefully since the TIF passed, we'll get to see some renderings sooner rather than later.

I am hoping that this will have to go through the design commission, then city council again.

Thread Information