Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 77 12345651 ... LastLast

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Bricktown3 Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

I hinted at this in another thread and it's why I took and posted the drone shots of the area last weekend.

Randy Hogan owns the lot that wraps around the Uhaul building and as you recall, there was a lot of turmoil about routing the Compress/Oklahoma intersection with the OKC Boulevard. This was to provide proper access to this property where future development was always the plan. Hogan obtained the lot as part of his overarching deal to develop Lower Bricktown.

Hogan filed rezoning plans for this property a couple of weeks ago. I know part of that request is an exception to the height limits in the district.

The Oklahoman is reporting he has partnered with a developer from California and everything is in the initial planning stage. Hogan states there would be two hotels close to Reno and a condo building on the south part of the property near the boulevard.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ty/7545461002/

From what I understand, there may be a lagoon between the hotels, which could number as many as three. Hogan also developed the Centennial condos just to the east along the canal.

It is also my understanding the hotel chain they are pursuing is the Dream Hotel.

Default Re: Uhaul Lot

Wow! My excitement is overshadowed by doubt. But still that would be awesome! Hope they don't make the design to include a brick façade! I'm over that!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hogan filed rezoning plans for this property a couple of weeks ago. I know part of that request is an exception to the height limits in the district.
    Exceptions as in he wants to go taller than the limits (what is the limit?) or shorter than the requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Exceptions as in he wants to go taller than the limits (what is the limit?) or shorter than the requirement?
    Taller.

I believe the restriction is 140 feet, which for a hotel is about 6-7 stories.

The Marriott Renaissance is about 200 feet; they successfully obtained a height exception as have other hotels in Bricktown.

Blog Entries

Taller than 10 stories I can get behind, especially replacing a surface lot.

Taller than 10 stories I can get behind, especially replacing a surface lot.
    Especially at that location since it is outside of the heart of the warehouse district, where scale matters more.

BTW, that California developer has been involved in a bunch of high-end hotels.

Including the W which I would absolutely love to see in OKC. Other than the Omni, we don't have anything at that level.

Blog Entries

The Omni deal just says we can't give incentives to other hotels, right? That's kind of a good thing in this scenario.

The Omni deal just says we can't give incentives to other hotels, right? That's kind of a good thing in this scenario.
    Yes. Pretty much barred from giving hotel incentives anywhere near downtown.

Hogan already received a super-sweetheart deal on the land and could always ask for incentives for the condos/parking.

Fantastic! I suppose that explains why these lots were so up front and center in that last set of aerials.

The Oklahoman article, for completeness: Lower Bricktown developers hope to add hotels, housing to OKC entertainment district.

11. Default Re: Uhaul Lot

Gawd,I hope this is urban and not so Randy Hogan.

Blog Entries

There's no mention as to if the lagoon is ever intended to connect to the canal, but surely it's been thought about... though their site plans from the article don't exactly leave room for it...

I mean, this is one of the closest points where extending the canal is probably the least effort (minus tearing up a brand new plaza). And then once you're on this property, getting over to scissortail would be very practical if we incorporate it with the new Thunder Alley stuff, instead of having that extra parking... can you imagine?

I'm not the biggest of canal extension proponents, but this is about the easiest way to do it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extend canal to scissortail.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	16883

I know there are grade issues. I'm not an engineer and will leave it to them to figure out.

I don't think there are any plans being discussed to extend the canal to this property.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Gawd,I hope this is urban and not so Randy Hogan.
    I get lost on these comments? Not so Randy Hogan. Are the restaurants and offices at Lake Hefner, the Centennial Condos, Harkins Theatre, The Half rural or am I missing something?

15. Default Re: Uhaul Lot

Quote Originally Posted by coop2773 View Post
    I get lost on these comments? Not so Randy Hogan. Are the restaurants and offices at Lake Hefner, the Centennial Condos, Harkins Theatre, The Half rural or am I missing something?
    Yes, lower Bricktown is suburban feeling, like it could be part of Chisholm Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Yes, lower Bricktown is suburban feeling, like it could be part of Chisholm Creek.
    +1. I’m in the same boat Re: Chisholm Creek. The new to market concepts would be so much more impressive if they actually incorporated decent design and some semblance of walkability.

That's a big property. Just look at the very large new Bricktown Renaissance hotel on Sheridan in that pic. You could fit like 6 of those buildings on that area (with no room to spare of course, just comparing the scale).

Hopefully, his plans include some density and street interaction. I would love to stay in a hotel with a room overlooking the BNSF viaduct. Very busy line and I love trains.

Blog Entries

They really ought to play to that as there are a lot of train lovers out there. Make the west facing rooms decked out with train photos and call them "train-side", as in, I'd like a train-side room please.

Yeah, the site plan in Steve's article looks like more of the same from Mr. Hogan.

Who owns the lot between this and the boulevard? The city? OCURA?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    who owns the lot between this and the boulevard? The city? Ocura?
    odot.

Quote Originally Posted by coop2773 View Post
    So again I'm missing the point on your original comment of not so Randy Hogan?

Would this reinitiate talks to realign Oklahoma or did those condos permanently torpedo that idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    odot.
    Any chance they try to negotiate the sale of that as well to have it front the boulevard as well?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Any chance they try to negotiate the sale of that as well to have it front the boulevard as well?
    It’s ODOT right of way land. I doubt ODOT would relinquish and portion of that land. They very very rarely do.

Thread Information