Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 123456752 ... LastLast

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Default Re: Uhaul Lot

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    It’s ODOT right of way land. I doubt ODOT would relinquish and portion of that land. They very very rarely do.
    odot trades land with the city of okc all the time .. and then the OKCURA puts it up for RFP ...

Like the section of land one block to the west where the Thunder were planning on building their fan experience/Team shop before Covid hit. Don't see anything stopping them from doing the same here.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Like the section of land one block to the west where the Thunder were planning on building their fan experience/Team shop before Covid hit. Don't see anything stopping them from doing the same here.
    yep

This was the site plan included with the rezoning request.

In that application, they also stipulate a maximum height of 300 feet, which would be 50% taller than anything else in Bricktown; about 15-20 stories.

That's a lagoon in the middle fronting all three proposed properties with no connection to the canal.

Hogan gonna Hogan.

Does an actual connection to the canal matter that much? I have to wonder if people would see the lagoon as part of the general water theme regardless. Plus, pushing the canal south past Reno would require going through that playground and the new flagpole location and then under the streetcar stop which seems like a big lift.

I like the proposed height.

The height is fine, and while I’m appreciative of the investment, what bothers me is that the site plan isn’t urban at all. With those driveways, green space, and the distance between the buildings, this looks like something that could be built on Memorial Road.

Blog Entries

There is no longer a playground, they took it out when they revamped that plaza a couple years ago.

Massive planning failure for such a huge lot. So much wasted space that prevents any sort of densification of the lots in the future.

By rearranging the same exact features, you can leave room for a surface lot (purple) which could be developed into a building in the future, while also preserving the Compress Ave alignment and could even put a pedestrian bridge over the lagoon if so desired. Apologies for the phallic-looking driveway, that wasn't the intention.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Does an actual connection to the canal matter that much? I have to wonder if people would see the lagoon as part of the general water theme regardless. Plus, pushing the canal south past Reno would require going through that playground and the new flagpole location and then under the streetcar stop which seems like a big lift.

Doesn't matter, but academically interesting to look at.

So I took a screenshot of the area on maps, then I very crudely cloned the end of the canal directly south, and then west. I then superimposed the site plan, and reduced the opacity, and the road they propose exactly matches up with where the canal would need to be, which I thought was interesting. IMO they could do this, and even have it go under the condos (imagine having basement level access to the canal level from your building?) if they wanted to. Again, I'm not necessarily a proponent of this, but it represents a bit of a potentially missed opportunity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-06-09--Canal Extension through Hogan Site.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	16892

This is a prime urban lot that someone would have to go out of their way to mess up and yet they still managed to do it.

This development is completely turned inward and ignores everything around it. The fact that the none of the buildings interact with or even acknowledge Reno is as bad as it gets. what a mess.

12. Default Re: Uhaul Lot

Quote Originally Posted by coop2773 View Post
    So again I'm missing the point on your original comment of not so Randy Hogan?
    What are you not getting? Nothing he has done downtown is urban at all.

13. Default Re: Uhaul Lot

That site plan was not graced by the hand of a great architect.

14. Default Re: Uhaul Lot

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

I kind of feel like an actual canal connection would make the overall project more successful. Go walk downtown or to San Antonio during a heatwave and see how much nicer it is than out in the blazing sun.

Isn’t this in the design district? Gird your loins and prepare for war. This project can and will be improved by citizen input.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Isn’t this in the design district? Gird your loins and prepare for war. This project can and will be improved by citizen input.
    I thought the Bricktown Urban Design District was only for north of Reno? I hope I am wrong and we can get this design improved.

The Facebook response to this news is pretty comical. Majority of comments are upset that a free parking lot is about to disappear. Goes to show you what the average person cares about outside of the OKCtalk walls. Baffling if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by SagerMichael View Post
    The Facebook response to this news is pretty comical. Majority of comments are upset that a free parking lot is about to disappear. Goes to show you what the average person cares about outside of the OKCtalk walls. Baffling if you ask me
    The two things you can be sure of with any post we make on social media: people will moan about traffic and parking.

It's particularly sad considering this is OKC where we have parking in front of virtually every business and almost zero traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by SagerMichael View Post
    I came here to make the same comment. LOL.

To quote Marty from Back to the Future: “I guess you guys where’re ready for that, but your kids are gonna love it”

There are plenty of reasons to not like this development and none of them involve losing a barren parking lot.

Awesome clap back:

Still more. This is awesome.

Those are great! I’d love to see people respond with the numerous park and ride options the streetcar offers as well.

Besides knowing a few people who do have mobility issues, I’ve never seen a city other than OKC where so many people get so frustrated when they can’t park in front of what they’re going. I was casually dating this girl when I was in town a couple months ago who almost had a mental breakdown when she couldn’t find a parking spot right in front of the restaurant— there was one about 1000 feet away. I can’t begin to tell you how many people I know in Edmond who live in the same subdivision often a 5-10 minute walk who drive instead of walk during nice weather. It’s nuts.

Yeah, pretty ridiculous.

I wear a fitness tracker and make sure to walk at least 5 miles a day. So, I'm exactly the opposite... I park far away and then enjoy the stroll.

Even at a store where you have to carry stuff, they have shopping carts.

When you look at the profiles of the people bellyaching about parking, inevitably they are, not surprisingly, very overweight.

At places like Wal-Mart/Target the amount of people who will wait MINUTES to park in a space that looks like it's being vacated is truly astounding.

Thread Information