Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560 ... LastLast

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Default Re: Uhaul Lot

That's true. I have already forgotten about Canopy. But that was also during the Bricktown hotel arms-race. At that time (2015ish), we had The Renaissance, Indigo, AC, Hyatt, Fairfield, Ye' Olde Offramp Inn and Canopy hotels all on the drawing board or in the works at the same time. I may be missing more, too. I don't feel as though we're in the same situation today. Bricktown is a little more tempered today than it was then.

I think the new Convention Center pulls weight for the hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    That's true. I have already forgotten about Canopy. But that was also during the Bricktown hotel arms-race. At that time (2015ish), we had The Renaissance, Indigo, AC, Hyatt, Fairfield, Ye' Olde Offramp Inn and Canopy hotels all on the drawing board or in the works at the same time. I may be missing more, too. I don't feel as though we're in the same situation today. Bricktown is a little more tempered today than it was then.
    The Canopy was proposed by Mazaheri who has always been much more of a speculator than a developer. In fact, he's been trying to sell the Canopy property for some time.

The people involved in this project have a very long track record.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I'm optimistic but we all thought the Canopy was pretty certain but here we are.
    Forgot all about the Canopy. Dang, I thought you were talking about the 235 cover for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Please refresh my memory. What is the Canopy?
    A proposed hotel a few blocks East of the Bricktown Ballpark. I believe an auto body shop was at the site at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I think the new Convention Center pulls weight for the hotels.
    And the new OKANA resort as well, we are going to see hotels popping up everywhere now, lol. I don't think the hotels being built is what we have to worry about being scraped, its the high-rise condo I'm worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    And the new OKANA resort as well, we are going to see hotels popping up everywhere now, lol. I don't think the hotels being built is what we have to worry about being scraped, its the high-rise condo I'm worried about.
    If First National is any indication (I know they are apartments), there should be adequate demand for high-rise condos. People want to live in the core though most can't afford it. However, if enough can and someone has the stones to take the shot, it could be successful.

I've always been of the mind that if one developer could be successful, more would follow. In real estate, we rely on comparables to project the success of a planned development. If there are no comparables locally, there is little concrete evidence it will work and banks are reluctant to finance the deal. With enough capital and personal guarantees, banks would be less reluctant and we can see what the real demand is. It just takes developers with stones as big as their bank account. Is this development group them? I don't know.

Any idea when we'll see some renderings for this project?

Blog Entries

Glad to see that Pete has updated these in the Downtown Hotel Count Summary [Proposed] count:

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=34292

Don't see “OKANA Resort 11-story, 404-room hotel."--Is it apart of the Downtown Hotel Summary...

10. Default Re: Uhaul Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Canopy was proposed by Mazaheri who has always been much more of a speculator than a developer. In fact, he's been trying to sell the Canopy property for some time.

The people involved in this project have a very long track record.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I wish for the exact opposite. I'd rather see these buildings broke out into a number of shorter buildings that line the entire exterior of this property with street level retail adding some life to the rather dead streets on each side (Reno, Blvd) and also create intimate spaces in the gaps in the middle. I'm much more into vibrant urban spaces which people walk in than skylines people gaze at for a few seconds as they pass by on a highway.
    Agreed. I really like this project and am hopeful it will be done and be an amazing addition to OKC, but the best parts of cities like San Francisco and New York, in my opinion, are those area that are dense with buildings 3-5 stories high. They have a great amount of vibrancy that the areas with taller buildings lack.

News 9 used the Dream Las Vegas hotel rendering in their story, this is very misleading, as this is not the actual rendering for this project;

https://www.news9.com/story/618cf085...-oklahoma-city

^

They always just lift our stuff and have never even spoken to me about it. Very strange.

Us insiders know that's not the real rendering. But the average Joe will think it is, lol.

I'm all good with having palm trees in OKC. Lots of heaters will be needed.

I saw on the news someone from the Convention and Tourism agency speaking about this project.

I am getting the impression that there is more traction for the hotel towers than the condo tower. With that being said the hotels will be probably be built first.

Default Re: Dream Hotels (Uhaul lot)

Funny to see OKCTalk images on the Cube 3 Architecture website:

https://www.cube3.com/portfolio_page...urbon-hotel-2/

Did they even ask you for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Did they even ask you for that?
    No, never knew about until I checked their site today.

Blog Entries

wow

you should probably start water marking them anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No, never knew about until I checked their site today.
    I’d be upset. Seems like it’s simple common courtesy to ask permission.

Any updates?

Not that I know of. This was announced back in July. Should of seen some hard renderings by now.

Its been a minute since hearing about this Pete any knew news?

Thread Information