Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Rain amounts reached even more remarkable levels in OKC on Sunday morning. One amount northeast of Hefner Lake got to 7.39". Rain is still in the forecast for Monday with NWA forecasting lighter amounts.

Flood threat will be increasing along I-44 corridor as we get into this afternoon and evening.

Possibly a developing flash flood threat as a line of storms slooooowly works its way westward across the Metro.

Frog strangler just started at my house near Penn Square.

As shown at 7pm by channel 4's Mike Morgan, the storm headed for Oklahoma City sure looked mighty impressive. At least these storms are mainly only severe for heavy rain. In Stillwater, the heavy part of the storm is taking its slow time getting here as well. Just light rain for now.

Approaching 8” of rain over the past 72 hours in large swaths of the Metro. Pretty impressive. Thankfully it’s occurred in three different waves that have been fairly evenly spaced.

More heavy rain forming just to the south of OKC. Maybe this is already the next wave.

Yeah this is starting to look like a prolonged heavy rain event.

I have had to lower my pool twice in three days. My personal rain gauge shows that we have received approximately 7 inches at my house since Saturday.

When we decided to steal Seattle’s basketball club, I had no idea we were also stealing the City’s weather!

Beats the heck out of 105+!

Yeah. I'm a big fan of the rain, love what this pattern is doing to stave off the drought, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't also a bit disconcerting at this point. Just a lengthy, bizarre break from our more typical early summer weather patterns, especially when set against all of the 110+ degree temperatures in the Pacific NW.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Yeah. I'm a big fan of the rain, love what this pattern is doing to stave off the drought, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't also a bit disconcerting at this point. Just a lengthy, bizarre break from our more typical early summer weather patterns, especially when set against all of the 110+ degree temperatures in the Pacific NW.
    It blows my mind that Portland hit 116 on Monday. That's a high that is hotter than cities like OKC, Dallas, and LA have ever experienced in recorded history. In fact, it's a temp that's only been seen in Vegas and Phoenix in terms of major US cities.

Everyone keeps saying this rain reminds them of the Pacific NW. Not at all. This rain (periodic torrential downpours) is more like what they experience in Florida. Seattle averages just 37 inches of rain a year. OKC is about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    It blows my mind that Portland hit 116 on Monday. That's a high that is hotter than cities like OKC, Dallas, and LA have ever experienced in recorded history. In fact, it's a temp that's only been seen in Vegas and Phoenix in terms of major US cities.

Everyone keeps saying this rain reminds them of the Pacific NW. Not at all. This rain (periodic torrential downpours) is more like what they experience in Florida. Seattle averages just 37 inches of rain a year. OKC is about the same.
    Yep Seattle rain is typically light but more consistent than in OK. It’s not unusual to get 3-4” in one night in OK then go a month with no rain at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Yep Seattle rain is typically light but more consistent than in OK. It’s not unusual to get 3-4” in one night in OK then go a month with no rain at all.
    Hoping that month comes soon, so tired of mowing a wet-ish yard every 5 days due to the insane growth...

Next round of substantial rain chances comes tomorrow evening. Looks like a much needed strong drink for locations out west.

Both OKC and LA have experienced temps hotter than 116 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Both OKC and LA have experienced temps hotter than 116 degrees.
    No, they haven't officially. OKC's highest high was 113 on August 11, 1936 and August 3, 2012. LA's official hottest temp. was also 113 in 2010.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...-ever-n1272617

Portland, Oregon, soared to a searing 116 degrees Monday, hotter than it has ever been in cities such as Dallas, New Orleans and downtown Los Angeles. In fact, when it comes to major U.S. cities, only Phoenix and Las Vegas have been hotter.

113 degrees is downtown Los Angeles’s official hottest temperature. The hottest official Los Angeles city proper temperature ever recorded is 120 degrees in the Woodland Hills neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles, which was recorded less than a year ago (Sept 2020).

All these records are gonna fall in the near term future anyways as the climate warms and these things become the norm

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    All these records are gonna fall in the near term future anyways as the climate warms and these things become the norm
    Hard to say that for sure.

And for the record breaking cold temperatures in Texas and Oklahoma in 2021?

No, they haven't officially. OKC's highest high was 113 on August 11, 1936 and August 3, 2012. LA's official hottest temp. was also 113 in 2010.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...-ever-n1272617
    I stand corrected. Although Woodland Hills might as well be LA.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergolfer View Post
    And for the record breaking cold temperatures in Texas and Oklahoma in 2021?
    A warming Arctic puts a lot of pressure on the jet stream and causes anomalies on both ends of the spectrum. That cold snap was also a result of climate change, and we can also expect more of those in the future. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate...s-arctic-cold/

Thread Information