Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    I love doing yard work. I usually spend around 8 hours a week mowing. It surprises me how many people pay to have that done.
    I'm the only one on my block (which is modest) who cuts his own grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Used to be that way when we lived on NW 162nd (me and my neighbor were the only ones mowing their own), but now that I'm in Venice, it's almost completely opposite - I see very few crews, it's mainly occupants mowing their own, which is odd, but we have some "extra" lawns here (shapes, elevations, landscaping, etc.), so the owners might not want standard crews doing it, they need a bit more care/hassle. I don't like doing it myself, but it's exercise and I don't like being tied to a schedule.

this is the same for my neighborhood as well. .... there are only 2 of us that mow our own yard ..

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    I love doing yard work. I usually spend around 8 hours a week mowing. It surprises me how many people pay to have that done.
    Same here. I love it too. Get exercise and sun and I love the heat. Makes my muscles and joints feel so good. The last couple of years I’ve really seen a spike in the yard companies mowing yards in the neighborhood. Which is totally fine. Keeps the neighborhood looking good.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see an MCS move through the area tomorrow evening. Latest SPC outlook indicates this and the last couple of extended-range HRRR runs have looked pretty frisky for Northern OK. Pattern recognition as well, we are on the edge of the ridge which often results in convective complexes traveling further south than what’s initially modeled. Probably only a 50/50 shot of it happening, and would likely just be an isolated severe threat if it does happen, but felt it was worth a post given the generally quiet pattern we’re in.

I hope you heat-lovers are happy.

Opened my front door this morning and was hit with a wall of heat and humidity. Ugh.

HangryHippo Guest

Yeah, this heat and humidity is disgusting.

And it has to be said, this type of weather often kills.

There are a lot of people who don't live and work in complete climate-controlled comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Wouldn’t be surprised to see an MCS move through the area tomorrow evening. Latest SPC outlook indicates this and the last couple of extended-range HRRR runs have looked pretty frisky for Northern OK. Pattern recognition as well, we are on the edge of the ridge which often results in convective complexes traveling further south than what’s initially modeled. Probably only a 50/50 shot of it happening, and would likely just be an isolated severe threat if it does happen, but felt it was worth a post given the generally quiet pattern we’re in.
    Echo to this post. Outside chance of MCS flying through.

10. Default Re: June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

I hope you heat-lovers are happy.

Opened my front door this morning and was hit with a wall of heat and humidity. Ugh.
    Heat yes! Needing scuba gear to get through a round of golf tonight without drowning in the humidity.... NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Feels like a steam bath out there today. Never been to Houston but I assume this is what Houston’s like all summer.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Feels like a steam bath out there today. Never been to Houston but I assume this is what Houston’s like all summer.
    I've been in summer, and yes, miserable, no way could I live there.

Why hasn't someone built a dayclub pool in OKC?

Surely there is enough young folks to patronize such a place, if not even for just Thur-Sun.

^

Because pools are very expensive to build and operate, plus liability insurance is very high. It's why cities have gone to splash pads

Then, you only have revenue 3 months out of the year.

And nobody swims in the off-season, even if a pool is enclosed.

There are some nice public pools like Ripper in Bethany and you always have White Water.

I was thinking more along the lines of Vegas-style pool parties in a private venue. Live DJs, selling tickets, turns into nightclub at dark etc. Heating the pool also extends the actual pool's viability season.

Scottsdale has been pulling it off, too. Even just 1 of these in OKC could be a goldmine.

Both of those places have pool seasons much longer than 3 months.

And even though it gets very hot, it's also not 70% humidity.

Vegas and Scottsdale have almost year round pool seasons. I do wish we’d see more public pools in OKC though. People in OKC need to get outside more.

I've always thought Midtown Renaissance should do something like a pool club on some of the vacant land they own. Pool, bar, simple food, etc. Could even add pickle ball/shuffleboard/etc. or something to increase the usage in non-peak times. Free for their tenants and a reasonable fee for non-tenants. Costs, liability, etc. aside, I think it would be a hit.

Also, how silly is it that pools in Oklahoma close on Labor Day? I know it can be difficult to staff student lifeguards after school starts up and attendance starts to decrease after then as well, but it's usually still pool weather into early October at least around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Also, how silly is it that pools in Oklahoma close on Labor Day? I know it can be difficult to staff student lifeguards after school starts up and attendance starts to decrease after then as well, but it's usually still pool weather into early October at least around here.
    For all 4 summers of college, I managed commercial pools (2 different ones).

By August, interest and attendance drop way down.

We would stay open for Labor Day and by that time the pools were almost deserted, even if the weather was very nice. It's the same way with beaches in California where the weather is always great. People are always anxious to move on to the next season and now there is just so much more competition for people's time.

20. Default Re: June 2021 - General Weather Discussion

For all 4 summers of college, I managed commercial pools (2 different ones).

By August, interest and attendance drop way down.

We would stay open for Labor Day and by that time the pools were almost deserted, even if the weather was very nice. It's the same way with beaches in California where the weather is always great. People are always anxious to move on to the next season and now there is just so much more competition for people's time.
    I was thinking that sports are really getting into swing by then. College to watch and youth sports ramping up. Just less pool time.

And now, school in Oklahoma starts in the middle of August.

Always wanting to move on to the next season is exactly why you see fall clothes in stores in July and Christmas stuff in September.

I need the Weather Gods on here to let me know the probability of storms and/or rain this weekend. I'm hoping to get our patio deck painted this weekend and want to ensure it will have sufficient drying time!

Short-Range models still hinting at dying MCS coming across OK N to S. This would be late tonight.

MCS just crossed the Kansas border and will make a run at OKC in the next few hours. Expecting a gradual weakening trend, though ultimately the strength will depend on whether a cold pool can be maintained as it moves into increasingly warm mid-level temperatures.

Oklahoma City now added to the severe thunderstorm watch, according to TV channel 5. Only channel 5 is covering the storms non stop as of 11:30 pm.

Thread Information