Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Us-412

Default Re: Us-412

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Gotta challenge you on this one PluPan. The only part of the IDL anywhere near the river is the SW interchange. If you tried to bury it, you wouldn't be able to get high enough to bridge the river or the railroad. EB 64 (hidden I-444) from there drops down to below grade immediately after crossing Houston St. There are few to no barriers to reaching River Parks from downtown.
    I see what you mean there. Yeah that would require a long and massive tunnel. Coincidentally enough I did my monthly browse on Tulsa now and found a proposal(not serious) to remove 244 by downtown and though I’d love to see a leg tunneled for better connectivity removing it completely and turning it into a boulevard is an absolutely stupid ass idea. These nut job urbanists just want every freeway to be turned to a boulevard slowly. It’s infuriating but thankfully I’d imagine in Oklahoma it has little chance of happened.

The slim chance of 345 in Dallas being removed has me slightly wondering but I bet TxDOT doesn’t let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I see what you mean there. Yeah that would require a long and massive tunnel. Coincidentally enough I did my monthly browse on Tulsa now and found a proposal(not serious) to remove 244 by downtown and though I’d love to see a leg tunneled for better connectivity removing it completely and turning it into a boulevard is an absolutely stupid ass idea. These nut job urbanists just want every freeway to be turned to a boulevard slowly. It’s infuriating but thankfully I’d imagine in Oklahoma it has little chance of happened.

The slim chance of 345 in Dallas being removed has me slightly wondering but I bet TxDOT doesn’t let it happen.
    It is listed in a report about freeways without futures and was specifically mentioned by President Biden during his visit to Tulsa last week. It may not happen for awhile but 244 won’t be around forever.

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/pos...eport#stream/0

Nothing will be around “forever.”

Taking that stretch of 244 down wouldn't be a big deal, but it would be a bit of a fool's errand. It's a very short segment, and you have to get over the railroad on the east end, so you would end up with a short boulevard with big ramps on either end to get back on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    Taking that stretch of 244 down wouldn't be a big deal, but it would be a bit of a fool's errand. It's a very short segment, and you have to get over the railroad on the east end, so you would end up with a short boulevard with big ramps on either end to get back on the highway.
    The argument I've heard is you don't need 244 at all once the Gilcrease Expressway Loop is completed. It could be removed entirely from downtown all the way to Memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The argument I've heard is you don't need 244 at all once the Gilcrease Expressway Loop is completed. It could be removed entirely from downtown all the way to Memorial.
    Politically, I would expect it much easier to remove the Gilcrest Loop than any of the routes in or out of Tulsa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Politically, I would expect it much easier to remove the Gilcrest Loop than any of the routes in or out of Tulsa
    Remove it? The Gilcrease loop isn't finished and the southwest leg is under construction right now as a new turnpike. The northwest leg isn't even planned yet.

One of the biggest issues is you get freeway removal extremist like those who propose to 244 all the way to memorial which is completely unreasonable and absurd. If those are the precedents that are set then I’d rather just keep all freeways and not remove any at this point.

Thread Information