Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Icon Cinemas

Default Icon Cinemas

I hadn't seen this talked about anywhere. I saw on Facebook today that Kickingbird Cinema will be reopening as Icon Cinemas. I believe they're a family owned chain out of New Mexico.

http://www.iconcinemas.com

Their website doesn't have a whole lot of information, but it looks like they'll be upgrading the seating at the minimum. This is only 3 miles or so from Showbiz Cinemas so it will be interesting to see how it competes.

Kickingbird was one of my first jobs, so it will be interesting to see what they do with the place.

2. Default Re: Icon Cinemas

Place probably needed an upgrade. Used to go there as a kid all the time. Had interurban for dinner after!

Default Re: Icon Cinemas

Here is the sign that is out front. Kickingbird Cinema has been closed since March 2020.

At first I thought this might just be an upgraded second run cheap theater, but looking at their other locations, it appears at least some of them sell beer and wine, plus have large arcade/entertainment areas. That combined with the seating makes me think they'll be going head to head against Showbiz.

It also appears they offer free refills on popcorn and soda during the visit.

5. Default Re: Icon Cinemas

Wow looks really nice. We have the small AMC in Norman now so it definitely slowed my trips to the Warren. I basically only went to the Warren for IMAX movies.

6. Default Re: Icon Cinemas

It will still do well even with ShowBiz just about two miles away. This premium-ish approach to movies has been a smart niche to fill...as well as showing some older movies on the big screen for the first time in decades, which seems like a brilliant idea to me. There really is something great about seeing a movie you already know and love on the big screen for the first in a long time or for the first time ever! With so many new movies coming out today, you really don't know what you are going to get and you risk a pretty good pocket of cash for a night out to go and not like the film much. Mixing it up with tried and true titles I think is a smart way to diversify your offerings and attract more people. And the comfy seats and untraditional food and beverage options don't hurt either! This is good news for this corner of Edmond.

This will be very nice for the neighborhood. I’ve yet to go to showbiz but I plan to change that soon as there a lot of good movies coming up. They have shut down the Arc Light cinemas for good in LA. I’m very excited for the unlimited popcorn and drink refill. Pacific Theatres at The Grove has the same thing and I was wowed for some reason as theatres love to charge the price of a kidney for such things.

It’d be cool while they renovate to add a rooftop bar and grille above the cinemas.

I really wish they'd take over the cinemas at Northpark.

And/or the Warren in MIdwest City.

Northpark seems like a no brainer.

This cinema still has not been reopened.

It was almost a full year ago that Icon Cinemas posted the "coming soon" sign.

It looks they've listed an Oklahoma City location as "Coming Soon" in addition to the Edmond location, but they don't give anymore information on where that'd be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    It looks they've listed an Oklahoma City location as "Coming Soon" in addition to the Edmond location, but they don't give anymore information on where that'd be.
    ICON Windsor Hills

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ah, assumed it would have been in this thread so didn't even both to search. My bad. Thanks!

Here is the sign that is out front. Kickingbird Cinema has been closed since March 2020.

construction has started at this location

^

Thanks.

They had started some time ago and then stopped.

I suspect they are doing this in conjunction with the other Icon remodel at Windsor Hills.

Can we discuss just how ugly the paint color they chose for this is?

Why is grey and black ugly?

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Can we discuss just how ugly the paint color they chose for this is?
    Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    Why is grey and black ugly?
    that is primer not the final look

I'll get out to the Edmond location when they are close to opening and take a ton of photos.

Though I can't exactly remember what it looks like now, when we drove by one day last week the sign was completed and the painting was done and I don't remember it being ugly.

The last several times I have driven by it has been a bright blue color with grey and the rest of the development is the red brick. Just stands out quite bad.

I will post pics when I drive by today.

24. Default Re: Icon Cinemas

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    The last several times I have driven by it has been a bright blue color with grey and the rest of the development is the red brick. Just stands out quite bad.
    Yeah I live close by and the look is bad. The signage and paint scheme just looks cheesy...dated even. Not retro. Dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Yeah I live close by and the look is bad. The signage and paint scheme just looks cheesy...dated even. Not retro. Dated.
    Exactly! Very hard to believe this was approved.

Thread Information