Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Icon Cinemas

Default Re: Icon Cinemas

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Exactly! Very hard to believe this was approved.
    Because colors and personal tastes arent something usually regulated by city code? Im not saying it looks great or not (havent seen it) but just because something is of a look you dont personally like doesnt mean its not allowed.

The colors are sent before the planning commission and other committees along with the rest of the plans before approval.

Imagine having to pick a color that appealed to 700,000 people...

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Imagine having to pick a color that appealed to 700,000 people...
    The good news is, it would only have to appeal to 100,000 people as opposed to 700,000. The bad news is, it would have to appeal to 100,000 people in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    The colors are sent before the planning commission and other committees along with the rest of the plans before approval.
    No, they aren't. Color is not a consideration.

I do agree, it's gross, but nothing we can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    No, they aren't. Color is not a consideration.

I do agree, it's gross, but nothing we can do about it.
    Interesting. The colors just do not fit this at all!

This cinema complex is a part of the larger Kickingbird Shopping Center in Edmond.

When it was Kickingbird Cinema it followed the same red brick, green and tan trim that matched the rest of the shopping center.

Did Icon Cinema purchase the cinema complex, much like a department store typically owns their store when in a mall, or is it being leased out like the other businesses in this strip center?

I would be surprised that it would be the latter, as the owner/operator of the strip center would want a standardized look.

^

Icon is leasing the Edmond location but owns Windsor Hills.

The same landlord owns the rest of Kickingbird Square.

The owner/operator is not going to force a standardized look at the cost of having a large portion of the strip center sit vacant for an extended period of time.

Edmond Re: Icon Cinemas

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Because colors and personal tastes arent something usually regulated by city code? Im not saying it looks great or not (havent seen it) but just because something is of a look you dont personally like doesnt mean its not allowed.
    _______ I took a couple of photos of it the other day. The building is an icy gray with light cobalt blue trim. The bright Red neon logo sign stands out, as it should. I don't think it's terrible... but perhaps they plan to update the rest of the complex with the same icy gray paint instead of vanilla._______

I would post a photo, but I am not sure if I am allowed, as I am new here.

Mel

^

Thanks for the offer.

I'll get out there and take photos soon, as they are nearing their opening date.

Yikes, surprised this renovation made it past the Edmond Planning Commission. It definitely stands out, especially compared to the rest of the shopping center. Can't say I have seen a movie theatre post Dippin Dots and Ice Cream as a "feature" on the exterior. That's usually reserved for IMAX or DolbyVision, etc.

Either way, Edmond proper has 100,000 people, and this will serve a segment of the population that doesn't care for the drive or the size of Showbiz or AMC Quail.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Yikes, surprised this renovation made it past the Edmond Planning Commission. It definitely stands out, especially compared to the rest of the shopping center. Can't say I have seen a movie theatre post Dippin Dots and Ice Cream as a "feature" on the exterior. That's usually reserved for IMAX or DolbyVision, etc.

Either way, Edmond proper has 100,000 people, and this will serve a segment of the population that doesn't care for the drive or the size of Showbiz or AMC Quail.
    what would the planning commission have to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    what would the planning commission have to do with it?
    Doesn't the Planning Commission approve exterior design, signage, etc? Certain parts of Edmond have various code enforcements regarding height of signage, materials used etc.

This Icon Cinema has a stark contrast to everything around it, which is primarily a dark red brick, including the shopping center it is in, the Homeland across the street, the Midfirst Bank and CVS on the east side. Just surprised they were able to get the design approved.

When the renovation of Bryant Square occurred a few years ago, the City was very active in the design plans, traffic flow through the parking lots, and allowed the developer the sign variance on the existing structure at 2nd and Bryant since it was already standing.

Doesn't the Planning Commission approve exterior design, signage, etc?
    generally no

Speaking of signage (and this is a bit of a non-sequitur) but I really miss the big marquees at movie theaters that lists the currently showing films. I know with the internet it's really not needed, but to me that's always part of the look and feel of a theater, but I notice the new ones don't do that anymore. It's really striking with something like Flix Brewhouse, who is so visible from Broadway extension - why not list the movies on a giant marquee on the side of the building? It makes it really clear it's a theater.

Doesn't the Planning Commission approve exterior design, signage, etc? Certain parts of Edmond have various code enforcements regarding height of signage, materials used etc.

This Icon Cinema has a stark contrast to everything around it, which is primarily a dark red brick, including the shopping center it is in, the Homeland across the street, the Midfirst Bank and CVS on the east side. Just surprised they were able to get the design approved.

When the renovation of Bryant Square occurred a few years ago, the City was very active in the design plans, traffic flow through the parking lots, and allowed the developer the sign variance on the existing structure at 2nd and Bryant since it was already standing.
    I think this was discussed up thread. Planning Commission doesnt have a say on colors, nor do they generally have a say in design. Signage is dictated by code and they either didnt violate it or got a variance. Its mostly based on how big of a wall its going on, and seeing how big the theater exterior is, they probably are within code for the signage. Heaven forbid they have a decent sized sign letting drivers know they're there. Ill agree on the white paint not being a great look but again, styles and designs are up to the owner, not the planning commission or citizens.

It's a movie theater, not a clothing boutique.

Think about every theater around town... Do any of them blend in with their surroundings? Even the AMC at Quail springs has a completely different exterior than the rest of the mall.

The new owners are making a huge investment and bringing a dead cinema back to life. If I was them, I'd want to make it stand out as much as possible.

And it's just gray, not neon pink and orange. I had expected much worse after seeing all these complaints.

They are now open:

Seating looks pretty nice. Now if someone could just invent a handheld laser capable of frying someone's cell phone when they turn it on during the movie.

Went to see Dead Reckoning there. I couldn't get good seats at Showbiz so I thought I'd try this out.

Not a fan. For it to be newly refurbished, it looked old and worn out. The seats were too low to the ground. The sight lines are terrible. There's a wall in front of the seats. I would say that a 10 year old child would have trouble seeing the screen becauseof that. And the screen felt small.

Loved the movie but didn't like the theater. Will not be going back.

24. Default Re: Icon Cinemas

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Went to see Dead Reckoning there. I couldn't get good seats at Showbiz so I thought I'd try this out.

Not a fan. For it to be newly refurbished, it looked old and worn out. The seats were too low to the ground. The sight lines are terrible. There's a wall in front of the seats. I would say that a 10 year old child would have trouble seeing the screen becauseof that. And the screen felt small.

Loved the movie but didn't like the theater. Will not be going back.
    My 9 year old child had exactly that issue there. Had to move seats so she could see. The lobby kind of matches the look of the exterior: cheezy. The chairs were nice though other than being too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    My 9 year old child had exactly that issue there. Had to move seats so she could see. The lobby kind of matches the look of the exterior: cheezy. The chairs were nice though other than being too low.
    I saw some movies there back when it was Kickingbird. I think it was a much better theater then than it is now. Kicking bird wasn't a bad theater at all. It was never my first choice but it was pretty decent.

Thread Information