Widgets Magazine

Thread: The Grayson 3915 N. Penn

Northwest OKC The Grayson 3915 N. Penn

There was a building collapse on NW39th & Penn. Probably unrelated to this development but not sure were else to put this.

https://www.news9.com/story/606c851b...fqDpU79ifdxG7I

Default Re: NW 36th and Penn

Ugh. I believe that's the building the folks behind "Dead Peoples' Stuff" were renovating. Glad it sounds like minimal people were around and hopefully the one injured person is ok. Will be interesting to hear what happened, though the obvious mix of high winds and unstable building would seem to be the likely culprit.

It's the small 3-building apartment complex on the west side of Penn and just south of 39th.

It had been shuttered for a while but a complete renovation was underway.

The western-most building of the 3 is the one that collapsed.

4. Default Re: NW 36th and Penn

On the building next to the one that collapsed they've stripped the siding off the first floor. Siding creates a great deal of rigidity and without it strong wind would have an easier time pushing the building over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    On the building next to the one that collapsed they've stripped the siding off the first floor. Siding creates a great deal of rigidity and without it strong wind would have an easier time pushing the building over.
    Wow, that’s interesting. Wonder if the group redoing the buildings knows what they’re doing.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    There was a building collapse on NW39th & Penn. Probably unrelated to this development but not sure were else to put this.

https://www.news9.com/story/606c851b...fqDpU79ifdxG7I
    BTW, I didn't realize that this property had been purchased by Chip Fudge who was in the process of a complete renovation.

Looks like 6 apartments (3 up and 3 down) in each of 3 buildings for a total of 18 units.

Fudge is behind a lot of the great renovations along Film Row.

This also represents a substantial investment in the 39th Street District.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Ugh. I believe that's the building the folks behind "Dead Peoples' Stuff" were renovating. Glad it sounds like minimal people were around and hopefully the one injured person is ok. Will be interesting to hear what happened, though the obvious mix of high winds and unstable building would seem to be the likely culprit.
    (I should have mentioned that Dead Peoples' Stuff is owned by Chip's son.) Look forward to seeing the final result.

Default Re: The Grayson 3915 N. Penn

The apartments have been open for awhile and look like they are well-occupied.

https://thegraysonlifeokc.com/

The apartments are fine, I guess. But why in the world would they put that tacky wooden fence up in front of them?

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    The apartments are fine, I guess. But why in the world would they put that tacky wooden fence up in front of them?
    That area can be pretty bad as far as petty crime goes.

Nice reno

Quote Originally Posted by runOKC View Post
    That area can be pretty bad as far as petty crime goes.
    If that's correct, and I have no reason to doubt you, there are all kinds of more attractive fencing that could be added that wouldn't make such a scarring visual statement.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Yea, also strange they reoriented the first building so it now faces away from the street. The buildings don't really address anything which (along with the stockade fence in the front) makes the property look visually awkward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Yea, also strange they reoriented the first building so it now faces away from the street. The buildings don't really address anything which (along with the stockade fence in the front) makes the property look visually awkward.
    Doesn't look like a stockade fence... wood, yes. Stockade, no. Looks better.

And, what is wrong with making the buildings face inward to each other for a more pleasant common area?

This was an extensive renovation, wasn't it? Good investment in the area.

I'd like to know who owns that plot of land behind the apartments. It's been empty for decades. I just wonder if the owner just doesn't want to sell it to businesses like the ones on 39th Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    I'd like to know who owns that plot of land behind the apartments. It's been empty for decades. I just wonder if the owner just doesn't want to sell it to businesses like the ones on 39th Street.
    That vacant lot is owned by the same people that operate the BMW repair place on the corner (immediately east).

They bought the corner (old Joe Esco Tire) in 2008 and the vacant lot in 2011.

As a side note, the BMW place (Penn Automotive) has seen a drastic reduction in the number of cars on its lot. Just a couple of months ago the lot was completely packed and now there is maybe 1/4th the amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That vacant lot is owned by the same people that operate the BMW repair place on the corner (immediately east).
    They bought the corner (old Joe Esco Tire) in 2008 and the vacant lot in 2011
    As a side note, the BMW place (Penn Automotive) has seen a drastic reduction in the number of cars on its lot. Just a couple of months ago the lot was completely packed and now there is maybe 1/4th the amount.
    Phen Ma, the owner, is the nicest guy you'll ever meet. My BMW husband has a serious bromance with him haha. I understand he's been approached multiple times and just isn't interested in selling yet. I think they have slowed down a bit over the last month because of the cold weather. If you drive a BMW he's your guy for sure.

Thread Information