Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Online DL Renewal

1. Default Re: Online DL Renewal

Ya we just did the normal drivers license and use our passport/passport card for travel. I might get a real ID next year or something. After this all calms down.

Default Re: Online DL Renewal

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Yes, that is why I said "if you are getting a passport renewal in the near future". It certainly wasn't a general recommendation for everyone to pursue instead of the OK real ID.
    But a passport can be used for ID when flying domestically just as easily as a passport card so why would you spend extra money to get a card also? I can understand someone just wanting to get the card but getting both doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    But a passport can be used for ID when flying domestically just as easily as a passport card so why would you spend extra money to get a card also? I can understand someone just wanting to get the card but getting both doesn't make much sense to me.
    for me, there are a few reasons... as an alternative id, the card is way less bulky than the passport and fits in my wallet. i don't want to take my passport with me unless absolutely necessary, so if i am flying domestic (or to canada/mexico) i can leave it at home where it's not at risk of being lost/stolen. while the card isn't a replacement for my passport, it's a good backup to have if it does get lost/stolen... i keep the two in different places, so it is unlikely that i will lose both.

so... if i am already going through the process of getting the passport, all of that is worth $30 for me. the cost/benefit for you might be different and that's perfectly ok.

Aside from the card fitting in your wallet as some have mentioned, there are also ID laws in foreign countries to consider. If you are traveling internationally there are some countries where you are required to carry some form of national identification, Germany being one of them for example. A state issued driver's license isn't considered an acceptable ID in those cases, since it is not issued by a federal government. For places like that it is easy to fly into the country using a passport, and then keeping the passport secure and traveling with a passport card inside the country.

Blog Entries

My mother is a recently (2020) naturalized citizen. We're in the process of getting her a passport and passport card. She will carry the passport card around as proof of citizenship (she has been challenged before) and keep the passport safely stored at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    for me, there are a few reasons... as an alternative id, the card is way less bulky than the passport and fits in my wallet. i don't want to take my passport with me unless absolutely necessary, so if i am flying domestic (or to canada/mexico) i can leave it at home where it's not at risk of being lost/stolen. while the card isn't a replacement for my passport, it's a good backup to have if it does get lost/stolen... i keep the two in different places, so it is unlikely that i will lose both.

so... if i am already going through the process of getting the passport, all of that is worth $30 for me. the cost/benefit for you might be different and that's perfectly ok.
    ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

You can't fly to Canada or Mexico with a passport card. You can drive there with a card but have to have a regular passport to fly. Everyone has their reasons, but I have absolutely no problem carrying my passport when flying domestically.

Sorry to get off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    You can't fly to Canada or Mexico with a passport card. You can drive there with a card but have to have a regular passport to fly. Everyone has their reasons, but I have absolutely no problem carrying my passport when flying domestically.
    ahh... did not know that. thanks for the catch!

Martin,
    Rick is correct, I believe it happened around 2008. It also included the Caribbean.
    C. T.

11. Default Re: Online DL Renewal

I ordered a DL online when I started this thread on May 5. I never got it. All good because I got an appointment in mid-June and had my Real ID at the end of June.
    My wife did the online thing in early July. Then we got her an appointment today so she'll have her Real ID soon. But, I get an email daily showing what we'll get that day and today there's an envelope to her from the Drivers License Division.
    Go figure!

12. Default Re: Online DL Renewal

Never did get the DL that I renewed online. But a refund of the fee was deposited in my account this morning.

Can someone help me here? My driver's license expires this month, numerous tag agencys don't have appointments till May or June. They told me just to drive on an expired licenses in the mean time, which sounds crazy. 3 tag agencies said this, but then I saw this thread that said you could renew a regular driver's license online. I'm fine with doing that but can't for the life of me find it on their site. Can someone please direct me to the correct site?

Also I applied for the Real ID on the Oklahoma Mobile ID and it told me I could just show up to any of those tag agencies. When I mentioned this they told me that was a scam and didn't do anything. I honestly feel like this can't be real, but am baffled being told near identical stories.

Can anyone shed some light?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Can someone help me here? My driver's license expires this month, numerous tag agencys don't have appointments till May or June. They told me just to drive on an expired licenses in the mean time, which sounds crazy. 3 tag agencies said this, but then I saw this thread that said you could renew a regular driver's license online. I'm fine with doing that but can't for the life of me find it on their site. Can someone please direct me to the correct site?

Also I applied for the Real ID on the Oklahoma Mobile ID and it told me I could just show up to any of those tag agencies. When I mentioned this they told me that was a scam and didn't do anything. I honestly feel like this can't be real, but am baffled being told near identical stories.

Can anyone shed some light?
    This should get you there, you probably have to create a userid on there, I think we had to.

https://my.ok.gov/

Thread Information