Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Online DL Renewal

Default Re: Online DL Renewal

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    What part took two weeks? In between going to a tag agency and actually receiving it? If so, that's strange, they don't give it to you immediately for an in-person appt?
    They stopped giving it to you sometime ago. I think they stopped to cut down on fake id's. The new license goes to your mailing address of record.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    They stopped giving it to you sometime ago. I think they stopped to cut down on fake id's. The new license goes to your mailing address of record.
    Ah, did not know that, thanks. Been 4 years (and 2 months ) since we last had to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    There was an article in the last week or two where the state was considering establishing temporary, large service centers to help address this issue.
    The first of these will be opening soon. From: https://twitter.com/OHPDPS/status/1415457331039592448

The DPS OKC megacenter opens on July 26! You can renew or replace your driver’s license, identification card, CDL or get your REAL ID. No appointment needed. Find out more now! http://realid.ok.gov

More info from the link:

OKLAHOMA CITY LOCATION
    OPENING JULY 26
    Location​
    1000 N.E. 10th
    (Old Health Department Building)
    Enter the ground level parking garage off of N.E. 10th and follow signs for service

Hours
    6:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
    Monday through Saturday​
    (Open through the close of business on December 10)

TULSA LOCATION
    OPENING AUGUST 16
    Location​
    TBD

Hours
    6:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
    Monday through Saturday​
    (Open through the close of business on January 7)

Mine took about a month and a half, and got to me a few days after my old one expired. I wonder if they are prioritizing them by expiration dates.

Agreed. Earlier this year, I waited until pretty much last minute and I got it on the day it expired, so it was pretty fast.

6. Default Re: Online DL Renewal

I ended up snagging an appointment at Broadway Tag about mid June. Got my real ID about 2 weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Can anyone speak to how long it took you to get your new DL after renewing it online. It has been 30 days for me and nothing. I am carrying around the receipt the state issued folded up in my wallet just to prove that I renewed it! I have the passport card as a backup for traveling later this month thank goodness.
    Mine came in today. Just under 2.5 months

8. Default Re: Online DL Renewal

Not having mine did cause a slight hiccup yesterday renting a car out of state-- right at the booth where you check out your car before leaving the lot. The associate in the booth asked for proof that I had a valid license so I showed her the receipt I printed (and folded a million times in my wallet) from the state and then she has to get pt of the booth and check with her manager that it's okay for me to leave the lot with this beautiful VW Atlas. She checked and I was on my way, but it backed up the lane and was annoying. Hope it comes in the mail soon.

Got mine yesterday, 2 months and 3 days after I renewed online.

The OKC megacenter is now open: https://twitter.com/OHPDPS/status/1420025878822768650

Come down and see us at the OKC megacenter! The line is way shorter than our first day yesterday. If you need to renew or replace a DL, CDL or ID, we can take care of you at the megacenter. If you need REAL ID and already have an OK DL - we can do that at the megacenter as well.

Went down to the MegaCenter on the 26th, and the line was easily 1,000 people deep.

It was a Covid den.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post
    Went down to the MegaCenter on the 26th, and the line was easily 1,000 people deep.

It was a Covid den.
    for that reason, i've ruled that out as an option for myself. even though i have already validated my documentation through the state's app, i'm thinking about just getting a non-real id (imaginary?) driver license to avoid the extra fuss. i already have a passport and passport card, so it's not a huge deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    for that reason, i've ruled that out as an option for myself. even though i have already validated my documentation through the state's app, i'm thinking about just getting a non-real id (imaginary?) driver license to avoid the extra fuss. i already have a passport and passport card, so it's not a huge deal for me.
    That's what we did, and now that we have our new DLs, our passports are up for renewal in Nov, so we're going to start the process for that soon. And once we get our new passports, we'll probably start the REAL ID process once it gets less crazy.

If you are getting a passport renewal in the near future I recommend paying the extra 30 bucks and getting a passport card at the same time. It serves as a real ID without having to carry the full passport around and is valid for the same ten year window as the passport.

Hopefully in ten more years Oklahoma will have their act together.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If you are getting a passport renewal in the near future I recommend paying the extra 30 bucks and getting a passport card at the same time. It serves as a real ID without having to carry the full passport around and is valid for the same ten year window as the passport.

Great info, thanks, hadn't checked enough into the card yet, we don't use the passports much, but nice to have as a backup and just never looked at the card.

. . . love having the Passport Card. . well worth the extra $!!

17. Default Re: Online DL Renewal

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    . . . love having the Passport Card. . well worth the extra $!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Great info, thanks, hadn't checked enough into the card yet, we don't use the passports much, but nice to have as a backup and just never looked at the card.
    Yep. Got mine last time I renewed my passport, and carry it with me everywhere. I mean, I'm gonna get the real ID done as soon as it's not a massive hassle, but I easily renewed my non-real ID ODL online a few months back, it's good for 4 years, and in the meantime I will be able to travel or whatever any time I want with the passport card. I'm good.

I'm not rooting for anyone to have a bad time here - and I'm embarrassed the state doesn't have its **** together - but I am mostly watching this ****show with bemusement (to be clear bemusement is not the same thing as amusement).

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    but I easily renewed my non-real ID ODL online a few months back
    curious... what's the process on updating your photo for an online renewal?

19. Default Re: Online DL Renewal

curious... what's the process on updating your photo for an online renewal?
    When I did it there was a very specific set of instructions for taking your photo using a solid background, good lighting and a certain size photo, etc. I followed all of it to the letter and was pretty proud of the product. And then - when I got the mailed license - they simply used the photo from my expiring, four-year-old license. And I have since spoken with multiple people who had the same outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    When I did it there was a very specific set of instructions for taking your photo using a solid background, good lighting and a certain size photo, etc. I followed all of it to the letter and was pretty proud of the product. And then - when I got the mailed license - they simply used the photo from my expiring, four-year-old license. And I have since spoken with multiple people who had the same outcome.
    ah... interesting. thanks for the info!

21. Default Re: Online DL Renewal

ah... interesting. thanks for the info!
    Happy to help!

I went to the mega center today around 10 am and it wasn't to bad. I was able to distance from other folks since it wasn't crazy crowded and the whole process took me 1.5 hours. I did just get my regular license renewed at the beginning of the month, but I wanted to get a Real ID version to avoid some issues down the line since Oklahoma decided to make things weird with IDs.

As a side note, the new design and feel of the drivers license feels cheap and ugly and made me think that this is what a fake ID might look like.

Since getting new passports or getting passports renewed is currently taking 12 to 18 weeks right now, even if expedited, I don't see that as much of a time saving option.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ing-times.html

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Since getting new passports or getting passports renewed is currently taking 12 to 18 weeks right now, even if expedited, I don't see that as much of a time saving option.

The reason I would get a passport card with our passport renewal has nothing to do with saving time and everything to do with the convenience of it being REAL ID-compliant. I have plenty of time to take my pic, fill out and send in the form and wait for however long it takes, not planning any international travel this year.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post

Yes, that is why I said "if you are getting a passport renewal in the near future". It certainly wasn't a general recommendation for everyone to pursue instead of the OK real ID.

Thread Information