Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: May 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: May 2021 - General Weather Discussion

This was an interesting storm system today. Nothing unexpected per the models. There was a ton of energy in the atmosphere today. Lots of shear and lift. Multiple storms had that classic tornado look to them too. Even driving home, I saw structures that would have dropped a tornado if this were early may or April. Yet, it just turned into a flooding event. I wonder why that is? Was it because there was no cap at all so things just blew up too quickly? Not saying I wanted a tornado or massive hail. Just trying to understand how this system evolved and what kept us from having higher end severe weather.

Is OKC going to get more rain or are we pretty much done for the evening?

Should be just about done.

4. Default Re: May 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    This was an interesting storm system today. Nothing unexpected per the models. There was a ton of energy in the atmosphere today. Lots of shear and lift. Multiple storms had that classic tornado look to them too. Even driving home, I saw structures that would have dropped a tornado if this were early may or April. Yet, it just turned into a flooding event. I wonder why that is? Was it because there was no cap at all so things just blew up too quickly? Not saying I wanted a tornado or massive hail. Just trying to understand how this system evolved and what kept us from having higher end severe weather.
    Would be interested in this as well.

Look like to me and I'm no expert but storms formed behind the boundary went up fast and lined out quickly. Even now at 8pm everything is behind the boundary. The boundary shows up well on radar. Ada-Elgin and all the storms are behind it. Eufaula had a brief tornado cause its on the leading edge of the boundary.

Yeah cold front has moved through, we're done. Enjoy the cool night and hope all your yards aren't still swamps by Memorial Day

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    You nailed it, also missing low-level sheer. The storms were turning in the mid and upper levels, but at the low levels the winds never got strong enough or were blowing the wrong way, resulting in veer-back-veer, which can also hinder tornadogenesis.

So what did Morgan say today. Something about wrapping things up by 3 and heading home? I seen some chatter online about it.

8. Default Re: May 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    So what did Morgan say today. Something about wrapping things up by 3 and heading home? I seen some chatter online about it.
    He said it! He urged people to go pick their kids up from daycare, etc. I did not heed the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    He said it! He urged people to go pick their kids up from daycare, etc. I did not heed the advice.
    But when driving home at 5:00 pm, I noticed the roads were much emptier than usual. It wasn't a bad idea to get home early if you lived north, driving in rain falling at 5"/hr is not a great thing. But I doubt Morgan was considering flooding the reason to get home early...

It is pretty chilly this morning. Feels like early April out there.

Went to the lake last weekend and jumped in the pool this weekend, and I’m pretty sure my beans disappeared both times. I’m ready for some warmer weather!! The evenings have sure been nice here lately though!

Yeah, not complaining because I know the heat will inevitably settle in at some point in June but this weather is just downright bizarre for Memorial weekend. Today will stay cool and cloudy but shouldn’t have any precipitation. Tomorrow is looking to be a washout, though.

I love it!

Who needs/wants 98 and sweltering? Everyone is saving a fortune on a/c bills and yards and gardens are beautiful.

Honestly, if we could have these temps and get the clouds to clear out a bit more, it would be about perfect.

I was still surprised with the cool morning today. Pretty unusual for this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I love it!

Who needs/wants 98 and sweltering? Everyone is saving a fortune on a/c bills and yards and gardens are beautiful.
    Yes. Yesterday was a San Diego weather day for us!!

Got in the water yesterday out here at Robert S. Kerr Reservoir, and let me tell you, it was downright chilly but bearable, as I was in it for 20 minutes at the longest. The slight breeze while getting out made it worse as the air temp was about 72°. I have only one memory of another cold Memorial Day weekend and that was around 2001 or so!

I love it!

Yeah I get it it. It’s been nice temperature wise and has been great on the electric bill. But after the year we’ve had and the cold winter bring on the 90s and ton of sun. Sign me up for 98 and sweltering.

HangryHippo Guest

I love it!

This right here!

Wonderful rain this morning. It’s been a while since we have had a system move in that’s given a slow but soaking rain that lasts all morning or more. It’s way better than these storms that dump 6 inches of rain in an hour.

19. Default Re: May 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Are any of the models showing an end to this rain pattern? I have a construction project I'm working on that is getting seriously delayed because there's been some chance of rain every single day for the past two weeks at this point, so we have no idea when we can plan to work on it and when we can't.

There honestly is not much of an end in sight to this current pattern as far as I can see. At some point in the back half of June though, I'm sure the typical summer ridge pattern will establish itself. Until then, it does appear that we will have lower (but still non-zero) shower/storm chances from tomorrow into Saturday, before chances increase once again towards the end of next weekend.

21. Default Re: May 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Don't l recall the long term forcasts for summer was that it would be drier than normal?

Thread Information