Widgets Magazine

Thread: Working Near The Airport

1. Default Working Near The Airport

I love working near the airport, FAA and the Air National Guard. Three Osprey just flew over. You can't mistake the sound of an Osprey, Huey or Blackhawk. I love hearing them!

Default Re: Working Near The Airport

Aw man, I'm jealous! I love those things. Gonna have to check ADSB and see if I can glimpse them heading out.

Also we had a 747 land at Tinker not that long ago either. Some rare birds today.

I think those were chinkooks. I saw them too, flying in formation, nice and slow. It was great sight.

4. Default Re: Working Near The Airport

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I think those were chinkooks. I saw them too, flying in formation, nice and slow. It was great sight.
    You're right. I couldn't remember the name so I asked one of our pilots. He said Osprey but they are Chinooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    You're right. I couldn't remember the name so I asked one of our pilots. He said Osprey but they are Chinooks.
    osprey is the tilt rotor ..

I live south of Amarillo and occasionally get to see test flights of the Osprey. Definitely something to see.

7. Default Re: Working Near The Airport

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I saw them a little after 1:00 flying south. I was at 36th & Lincoln, and they were to the west of that.

8. Default Re: Working Near The Airport

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Aw man, I'm jealous! I love those things. Gonna have to check ADSB and see if I can glimpse them heading out.

Also we had a 747 land at Tinker not that long ago either. Some rare birds today.
    Looked from here like they landed on the far NE corner of the FAA/National Guard complex. Just S of 54th and W of Meridian

9. Default Re: Working Near The Airport

They flew low and slow roughly right down Broadway and turned right (west) right as they got over the top of the CBD. Probably about 1000-1200 feet. Low. Cool to watch.

I grew up an army brat with Dad's last duty station being Fort Lewis (pre joint base). The Chinooks, Hueys and Cobras were a part of the daily fabric of life. When I see them now, it brings back a lot of memories.

Thread Information