Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87

Thread: Buying a used car?

  1. #1

    Default Buying a used car?

    My 2007 Honda Civic got its rear quarter panel smashed by a stupid driver that didn't look before turning into the wrong lane, and it's possibly going to be totalled. Haven't bought a car since 2007, no idea what the best way is right now, don't even know what to look for (other than another 2-door smaller car) as far as year, make, model, etc. I do have a Consumer Reports membership, so will be checking things out there, but wondering what app(s) I should look at, if Carvana would be the way to go, should I just look online, go to Carmax, go to lots, etc. - anybody have any hints/tips? Thx much for any help...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Prices super high right now because there is a shortage of cars for sale overall.

    If it is still fully functional, then you might consider "retaining salvage" if it does total. Meaning they pay you pre-loss value for your car and then deduct for what they can sell your car for at the salvage pool. Since your car is over 10 years old it will not be marked as a total loss and your title will not change.

    Drive it until the market corrects and then buy a newer car at a better price. Your Honda will always have a decent market, regardless of damage.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Prices super high right now because there is a shortage of cars for sale overall.

    If it is still fully functional, then you might consider "retaining salvage" if it does total. Meaning they pay you pre-loss value for your car and then deduct for what they can sell your car for at the salvage pool. Since your car is over 10 years old it will not be marked as a total loss and your title will not change.

    Drive it until the market corrects and then buy a newer car at a better price. Your Honda will always have a decent market, regardless of damage.
    Great info to know, thanks, we aren't sure of the procedure if it gets totalled, so we contacted the other driver's insurance co to get some guidance, but this helps. Unfortunately, it appears the wheel well liner appears to be rubbing against the tire going over bumps, so something will have to be repaired for that, at the very least, otherwise it is drivable. I don't think my specific Honda has a decent market, though - its clearcoat is sh*t (one of the recalls) and the paint is ridiculously bad all over except the rear quarter panels, roof rails, and trunk lid that got repainted because that's all my VIN qualified for (yes, I was baffled too), and it has to be taken down to bare metal and completely repainted, and the estimator today said that'd be about $3500 or so to do that, and that's about all the car's actually worth right now (the 2007 is part of the generation that Honda just completely screwed up in almost every way possible).

  4. #4

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    I agree. The used market is bonkers. I sold my extra care for almost 2k more than it would have gone for a few years ago just because I needed the garage space. Had people wanting to buy it in cash 2 hours after listing. It used to take me a month or so to sell my cars.

    If you have to give it up just be prepared to shop around for a long while. I find the best deals of Facebook Market usually or find one at a dealer and haggle it down for a few weeks. Just know the value of the car. Also a heads up, consumer reports is free online if you have an Library Card. I use it all the time.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I agree. The used market is bonkers. I sold my extra care for almost 2k more than it would have gone for a few years ago just because I needed the garage space. Had people wanting to buy it in cash 2 hours after listing. It used to take me a month or so to sell my cars.

    If you have to give it up just be prepared to shop around for a long while. I find the best deals of Facebook Market usually or find one at a dealer and haggle it down for a few weeks. Just know the value of the car. Also a heads up, consumer reports is free online if you have an Library Card. I use it all the time.
    I've actually got a subscription to CR, it's auto-renewed for a couple of years, should just give it up and use it through the library, thx for the reminder!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    I bought my 3 year old lease return Accord in 2020 through Car Gurus. I was however looking for a hard to locate trim line so I had to go to Austin to get it. You can narrow or expand your search geographically as well as filter the results of what you want.

  7. Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Might see what they offer you and see what it would cost to fix.

    Several years ago a driver turned into my 97 Dodge and the estimate to repair was $2200 and inurance totalled the truck for $2100.... Yes I asked them to come up with the additional $100 and they refused.

    Long story short.... Took it to Maaco and got it repaired for $600 and pocketed the rest.... Still driving the truck today.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Might see what they offer you and see what it would cost to fix.

    Several years ago a driver turned into my 97 Dodge and the estimate to repair was $2200 and inurance totalled the truck for $2100.... Yes I asked them to come up with the additional $100 and they refused.

    Long story short.... Took it to Maaco and got it repaired for $600 and pocketed the rest.... Still driving the truck today.
    Offer is about $6000 to total, about $1200 or so less if I retain salvage, estimate we got was $4500 to fix. Might take it somewhere else to get another estimate, but it's a POS, so I'll probably just bend the wheel well metal back up so it doesn't rub on the tire, get a new tire, and drive it for a few more months, then get something else when the market calms down. Thx for the info on here, helped quite a bit.

    Speaking of the used car market being crazy right now, how would I know when it gets better - if the prices people want are close to what KBB (or some other place) says it's worth, or are there some other markers?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Offer is about $6000 to total, about $1200 or so less if I retain salvage, estimate we got was $4500 to fix. Might take it somewhere else to get another estimate, but it's a POS, so I'll probably just bend the wheel well metal back up so it doesn't rub on the tire, get a new tire, and drive it for a few more months, then get something else when the market calms down. Thx for the info on here, helped quite a bit.

    Speaking of the used car market being crazy right now, how would I know when it gets better - if the prices people want are close to what KBB (or some other place) says it's worth, or are there some other markers?
    It will kind of be like Cars for Clunker days, going to be a few years I imagine.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    It will kind of be like Cars for Clunker days, going to be a few years I imagine.
    Why a few years? Seems like new cars/trucks/SUVs will be back in the pipeline by the end of the year, maybe, if the chip supply gets back in shape, and then the used car market will go back to normal-ish, but maybe I don't know how it's all working now. Personally, I don't care about buying new, doesn't seem like there are any reasonable/normal 2-door coupes being made new, so I'm going to have to do used. so I just care about the impact that the slowdown in new manufacturing has on the used-car market,

  11. #11

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Why a few years? Seems like new cars/trucks/SUVs will be back in the pipeline by the end of the year, maybe, if the chip supply gets back in shape, and then the used car market will go back to normal-ish, but maybe I don't know how it's all working now. Personally, I don't care about buying new, doesn't seem like there are any reasonable/normal 2-door coupes being made new, so I'm going to have to do used. so I just care about the impact that the slowdown in new manufacturing has on the used-car market,
    I dont expect chip manufacturing to catch up until next year. If all the used cars are picked up then it will take a few years for people to sell those to get new cars. Also the job market has to stabilize again for people to take out loans on new vehicles.

    You also have the car dealership affect that occurred. Dealers knew that factories were shutting down before everyone else did, and bought up as much of the used car market in their respective areas as possible because they saw the writing on the wall.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    I think new car production will normalize by the end of the year. The endless media stories about used car prices will pretty well keep us informed about that market.

    I think you are on the right track in keeping the car and bonking out the wheelwell. Just about any used Honda that runs and has cold-ish AC will bring $2000-2500 any time of the year.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Thanks, y'all, didn't even think about dealers buying up used inventory, makes sense, though, ugh...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Prices super high right now because there is a shortage of cars for sale overall.

    If it is still fully functional, then you might consider "retaining salvage" if it does total. Meaning they pay you pre-loss value for your car and then deduct for what they can sell your car for at the salvage pool. Since your car is over 10 years old it will not be marked as a total loss and your title will not change.

    Drive it until the market corrects and then buy a newer car at a better price. Your Honda will always have a decent market, regardless of damage.
    So it appears that my car *will* be marked as a total loss *and* I have to surrender my title and get a salvage title back. USAA (the other person's insurance co.) said this is according to Oklahoma Statute 47, section 1111.

    Edit - did some reading in the statute and apparently within 30 days, the title has to be turned over, I get a salvage title, but if it's fixed and inspected, I can get the original title back after paying some fees. Need to call the OTC and find out if I can just pound the wheel well back out, get a new tire and not screw with the titling mess if it's all done within 30 days, but I'd bet they say no, that I have to go through the administrative screwed-up retitling BS anyway.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Norman just had a major hail storm. You might head down to the mile of cars and see if they can sell you something cheap...

  16. #16

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Norman just had a major hail storm. You might head down to the mile of cars and see if they can sell you something cheap...
    Thanks, but not worth the extra hassle, going to be ridiculous enough just to get the title done right at this point, don't need to mess with hail damage, etc.. Got enough going on in my life right now, just want to drive my car for a little longer until I have enough time to do some research on how few 2-door cars with a trunk there are out there.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    So it appears that my car *will* be marked as a total loss *and* I have to surrender my title and get a salvage title back. USAA (the other person's insurance co.) said this is according to Oklahoma Statute 47, section 1111.

    Edit - did some reading in the statute and apparently within 30 days, the title has to be turned over, I get a salvage title, but if it's fixed and inspected, I can get the original title back after paying some fees. Need to call the OTC and find out if I can just pound the wheel well back out, get a new tire and not screw with the titling mess if it's all done within 30 days, but I'd bet they say no, that I have to go through the administrative screwed-up retitling BS anyway.
    Cars over 10 years old are exempt from the title surrender and marking salvage requirement. I recall yours was a 2007 model? Check with your tag agent. It is not uncommon for a large insurance company adjuster to be unfamiliar with individual state laws and give you directive that is not necessary.

    I can say for certain that State Farm totaled one of my workers 2006 Accord last month and did not mark the title. I know, because I helped him with the negotiation with them.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Cars over 10 years old are exempt from the title surrender and marking salvage requirement. I recall yours was a 2007 model? Check with your tag agent. It is not uncommon for a large insurance company adjuster to be unfamiliar with individual state laws and give you directive that is not necessary.

    I can say for certain that State Farm totaled one of my workers 2006 Accord last month and did not mark the title. I know, because I helped him with the negotiation with them.
    Thanks, I have an email in to the OTC, but will just call Classen Tag today or tomorrow, thanks again for the info (statute didn't mention anything about 10+ year old cars being exempt, but I haven't read it all yet, so may be in another section).

  19. #19

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    In Title 47, Chapter 74, section 1111 "Payment of Total Loss Claim - Certificate of Title":

    5. "Vehicle" means a vehicle, as defined in paragraph 40 of Section 1102 of this title, manufactured within the last ten (10) model years.
    Maybe that means you don't have to follow the same title rules for a car that was a total loss if it is older than 10 years, because it isn't considered a vehicle?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    In Title 47, Chapter 74, section 1111 "Payment of Total Loss Claim - Certificate of Title":



    Maybe that means you don't have to follow the same title rules for a car that was a total loss if it is older than 10 years, because it isn't considered a vehicle?
    I think they got the law changed because they had so many older hail damaged cars that were perfectly drivable, but the owners were burdened with the title gymnastics. And most collision totaled cars over 10 years old are really damaged.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Thanks, had just kinda skipped over the definitions, didn't think I needed to know what "vehicle" meant, guess I was wrong.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Thanks, had just kinda skipped over the definitions, didn't think I needed to know what "vehicle" meant, guess I was wrong.
    A vehicle over 10 years old is still a vehicle. It just isn't a "vehicle". Clear as mud?

  23. #23

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    A vehicle over 10 years old is still a vehicle. It just isn't a "vehicle". Clear as mud?
    Ha, I should be used to that kind of stuff, wife is a proofing specialist for the OK House...

  24. Default Re: Buying a used car?

    If you decide to get another car I can vouch for Carvana. Two years ago I got my car totaled in Rocky Man Nat'l Park and went on Caravan the next morning and found the same model with a slight upgrade and had it bought and financed in less than an hour. It was delivered a day or two after I got home. Best car purchasing experience of my life.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Buying a used car?

    Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    If you decide to get another car I can vouch for Carvana. Two years ago I got my car totaled in Rocky Man Nat'l Park and went on Caravan the next morning and found the same model with a slight upgrade and had it bought and financed in less than an hour. It was delivered a day or two after I got home. Best car purchasing experience of my life.
    Thx, I was going to give them and Carmax a shot first, good to know. Buying online is great, we actually did it for the first time when we bought my wife's 2003 Honda new in IL, it was so fantastic to not have to deal with the dealer crap...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Buying a new car question
    By warreng88 in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-31-2014, 01:35 PM
  2. Buying Mexico.
    By Stan Silliman in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 07:31 PM
  3. Buying a Bicycle
    By Midtowner in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
  4. Buying Downtown
    By sdsooners in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 09:44 AM
  5. Car buying experience
    By mranderson in forum Businesses & Employers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 12:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO