Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying a used car?

Default Re: Buying a used car?

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    You have Freeman's Collision at about 34th & May on the west side; and Collision Works, just north of OnCue.

If neither of those can help you, then please DM me
    Duh, completely forgot about Freeman's, was right by there yesterday, and didn't really know about Collision Works, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Got the check from USAA yesterday, yay. Unfortunately I can't pull the dent out by myself, wondering if anybody knows of some place around NW 36th/May that would do it (can't drive very far because it rubs on the tire whenever it goes over a large enough bump)? Doesn't need painting or anything, just pulled out so it won't rub against the tire...

Attachment 16859
    Freeman's, at 34th and May, is one of the best in the whole city.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Freeman's, at 34th and May, is one of the best in the whole city.
    Yep, agree, thanks to you and Dob for reminding me of it. Took it in yesterday morning for an estimate, it came in where I thought it would, they said they could fix it yesterday, so I walked a few blocks home, walked back 3 hours later and it was done. Great place, agreed!

4. Default Re: Buying a used car?

I thought I might be in the market for a new used, but prices for used is getting ridiculous.

Let me tell a story about how crazy the market is now.

In November of 2017 I purchased a 2013 Lexus GS350 AWD. It had 60,000 miles on it and I paid a very fair and reasonable $21,000 for it. I loved that car so much and never planned to sell it. But, we got a new camper and the wife's SUV, while rated for it, doesn't really pull the extra weight very well. So, I found myself car shopping at the worst possible time. Fortunately I found a decent deal on a large SUV, but I had to trade in my beloved AWD beauty to make it happen.

Last year when I was getting laid off I had all our cars valued to prepare for possibly liquidating if it became necessary. No matter which way or method I checked, I wasn't finding any valuation above $13000 for it.

Well, Audi OKC gave me $16000 for the trade on it. I was floored. I was hoping for $13000. (Side note: 2 days earlier Jim Norton Toyota offered me $11500 for the same trade. If they had been even close to fair on my trade I would be driving a new Tundra right now.)

I looked up the listing on my Lexus and they have it listed for $20,500. 3 and a half years older, 123,000 miles, and it's listed $500 less than what I paid for it in November of 2017. I can't believe how crazy this market is right now.

Yep, my barber said some dealer wanted to pay his brother $15K over what he paid for his F150 ($60K, I think) new when he bought it from the same dealer, and it's a year old. $400 later ($360 for the dent pulled out and $40 for new wheel cover) and I'm good until the craziness subsides.

Bought a 2016 VW Beetle convertible with 10k miles for my daughter in March 2017. I paid $19,500 at VW dealer. Was totaled from the hail storm in Norman last month. Finally settled the claim yesterday and received $22,500 for it. The car has 45k miles on it now four years later. They offered $17,500 but was able to use the current used car market to show I couldn't replace for less than $23K.

8. Default Re: Buying a used car?

Speaking of buying a car, we have narrowed down our choices to a new 2021 Kia Sorento or a 2021 VW Tiguan. Do any of you have any experience good or bad with either of these vehicles?

9. Default Re: Buying a used car?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerj2015 View Post
    Speaking of buying a car, we have narrowed down our choices to a new 2021 Kia Sorento or a 2021 VW Tiguan. Do any of you have any experience good or bad with either of these vehicles?
    I am not very familiar with Kias so I will let others talks about those. I generally am not a huge fan of SK cars but I think they have started to make some big leaps in recent years.

I have owned a few VWs and Audi in the past. They are great cars. The number one thing you have to do is make sure the maintenance is done on time, always. Negotiate the extended warranty and get rid of it when that is up. I love driving German cars but never liked the maintenance. Keep those maintenance records and you will be able to resell it for a good amount.

I have owned through my company 5 kias over the last several years with three in current fleet. I have owned 4 vws over last ten years and currently have a beetle convertible and an Atlas. We have only had one issue with a fuel pump on the kias and it was under warranty. the current three have 80k, 60k and 20k miles. No issues with the beetle but the turbo went out in my jetta about 80k. The atlas has had an issue with a sensor. 2 of the three times were under warranty. The warranty is much much better on the Kias but would rather drive the VWs any day of the week, They feel more substantial and more comfortable. Better zip and handling. The VWs hold resale better. My wife went from an Escalade ESV to the Atlas and loves it.

Watch Scotty Kilmer on Youtube. Or many of the videos on those vehicles that are available. If you don't intend to keep them for a long time, then they might be a choice. But look at issues others have and post on Youtube. I learned a long time ago to stick to Toyota, Honda, and to a lesser degree Mazda for long-term ownership without potential massive repair expense.

Quote Originally Posted by securityinfo View Post
    Watch Scotty Kilmer on Youtube. Or many of the videos on those vehicles that are available. If you don't intend to keep them for a long time, then they might be a choice. But look at issues others have and post on Youtube. I learned a long time ago to stick to Toyota, Honda, and to a lesser degree Mazda for long-term ownership without potential massive repair expense.
    That guy is someone I wouldn't want to take advice from, but to each their own.

You won't make a bad choice on the Kia or VW. In the past 3-5 years, Kia has really stepped up their game and you can get some real value. I've owned a VW and that is probably one of my favorite vehicles I've purchased new (only 3, tbh). Their ergonomics are quite excellent.

I wouldn't go near anything VW. Given a choice between those two, I'd suggest the Kia. I'd suggest a Toyota over either.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    That guy is someone I wouldn't want to take advice from, but to each their own.

You won't make a bad choice on the Kia or VW. In the past 3-5 years, Kia has really stepped up their game and you can get some real value. I've owned a VW and that is probably one of my favorite vehicles I've purchased new (only 3, tbh). Their ergonomics are quite excellent.
    Yeah ya gotta be careful with Kilmer. Sometimes he just tossed out hyperbole with his vids, and he used to put out better info years ago. Many "legit" car techs with YT channels loathe the guy for either oversimplifying things or flat getting them wrong. Caution strongly advised. ��

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I wouldn't go near anything VW. Given a choice between those two, I'd suggest the Kia. I'd suggest a Toyota over either.
    Why no VW? Personally, I don't like that they had the whole emission scandal, so probably wouldn't buy one based on that. But having driven multiple old bugs, a Rabbit, and a Jetta (all 60s-80s), I would hope their current models would be mechanically way better than all those POSes...

Why no VW? Personally, I don't like that they had the whole emission scandal, so probably wouldn't buy one based on that. But having driven multiple old bugs, a Rabbit, and a Jetta (all 60s-80s), I would hope their current models would be mechanically way better than all those POSes...
    They still tend to lean heavily toward expensive and difficult repairs like many of their European brethren. Just don't see the upside vs the expense. The problem with the Rabbit many years ago was the original was made in Germany as a diesel and was at least decent, but when they moved production to a US plant in Pennsylvania they basically went into the garbage. I know someone who had one and it was a disaster. The rebirth of the Beetle a few years ago was an unqualified disaster; I suspect some people are STILL waiting on replacement transmissions for those little piles. Talked to an owner of one of those and she started having transmission problems literally weeks after she bought it.

Kia's are decent, but from what I've read you don't hold onto them long-term. You get to the 90k mile range or so and that's pretty fair, but if you are looking for something longer range it might not be the ideal choice - and that's one of the reasons they push their 100k mile warranties. They're not bad cars, just have to understand what you're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    They still tend to lean heavily toward expensive and difficult repairs like many of their European brethren. Just don't see the upside vs the expense. The problem with the Rabbit many years ago was the original was made in Germany as a diesel and was at least decent, but when they moved production to a US plant in Pennsylvania they basically went into the garbage. I know someone who had one and it was a disaster. The rebirth of the Beetle a few years ago was an unqualified disaster; I suspect some people are STILL waiting on replacement transmissions for those little piles. Talked to an owner of one of those and she started having transmission problems literally weeks after she bought it.

Kia's are decent, but from what I've read you don't hold onto them long-term. You get to the 90k mile range or so and that's pretty fair, but if you are looking for something longer range it might not be the ideal choice - and that's one of the reasons they push their 100k mile warranties. They're not bad cars, just have to understand what you're getting.
    Thanks for the explanation, they weren't real high on my list anyway, but they're lower on it now.

18. Default Re: Buying a used car?

Might I ask what your price range and needed features are? I like to look for cars and do recommendations. My wife says it is a good thing so I stop buying more…

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Might I ask what your price range and needed features are? I like to look for cars and do recommendations. My wife says it is a good thing so I stop buying more…
    Perfect, thanks, much appreciated! I hadn't really ever considered looking until it got hit, then realized I know nothing about what car I would buy if I had to, lol...

2-door (not a hatchback, or 3-door is what they're called now, I guess), not Honda from 2006-2012 (that's the generation mine is in and it sucks in so many ways), and maybe $10-15K (which probably isn't anywhere close to reasonable, but as I said, I have no idea about the car market, but am reading up on it at Consumer Reports, they have some good articles about cars under $15K, ones not to buy, etc.)

20. Default Re: Buying a used car?

Perfect, thanks, much appreciated! I hadn't really ever considered looking until it got hit, then realized I know nothing about what car I would buy if I had to, lol...

2-door (not a hatchback, or 3-door is what they're called now, I guess), not Honda from 2006-2012 (that's the generation mine is in and it sucks in so many ways), and maybe $10-15K (which probably isn't anywhere close to reasonable, but as I said, I have no idea about the car market, but am reading up on it at Consumer Reports, they have some good articles about cars under $15K, ones not to buy, etc.)
    Just a few more questions so I can maybe narrow it down a bit.

Type of vehicle? Truck, Car, Sports Car, Sedan, Crossover, SUV, Racecar, Luxury?

Must haves? 4x4, AWD, Fuel efficient, Navigation, Turbo, V8, V6, Trunk space, Smooth ride, Leather?

Do you want manual or auto?

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Just a few more questions so I can maybe narrow it down a bit.

Type of vehicle? Truck, Car, Sports Car, Sedan, Crossover, SUV, Racecar, Luxury?

Must haves? 4x4, AWD, Fuel efficient, Navigation, Turbo, V8, V6, Trunk space, Smooth ride, Leather?

Do you want manual or auto?
    2-door car, I guess the technical term would be coupe. No stick, drove one for decades (Bugs, Jeep CJ-7, Saturn) and don't really need to deal with one any longer. Any of the rest isn't really necessary, would be nice to have some of it, though. My work commute is about 10 min each way and we don't take long road trips, and I'm just a pretty basic car guy. CD player would be nice to have, mine crapped out years ago.

I think 2 door is a more endangered vehicle than ICE models are. Almost exclusively a choice of people over 50, . Those younger have been trained to use 4 door SUV, or 3 door next.

I am a European car guy. I have no love for any Asian car. Just don't like how they look or work. Some are great cars, some have major issues. I just have no attraction to them.

I think 2 door is a more endangered vehicle than ICE models are. Almost exclusively a choice of people over 50, . Those younger have been trained to use 4 door SUV, or 3 door next.

I am a European car guy. I have no love for any Asian car. Just don't like how they look or work. Some are great cars, some have major issues. I just have no attraction to them.
    Yeah, I know about the 2-door disappearance, sadly, found that out pretty much right after I found out it was totaled, lol. Had a hatchback Chevy Monza as my first car, don't really like hatchbacks/3-doors. And we never had kids, never needed any kind of SUV, don't like them either, I'm more of a sport-type person (wife's always had a station wagon or sedan, I've always had a 2-door). I've never had a European car, could be a possibility - an older 2-door model would work, I guess, 'cos the new ones are way more than I need and want to pay for. And $15K probably isn't really the top end, I can go higher, but some of the prices of new cars now are insane.

Yes, you are spot on with your take. There are still a few coupes out there. Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, and Challenger come to mind. Big names for those of us born in the '50's. The Japanese imports I think are a thing of the past with the Civic being the last available in 2021.

When I retired last year I went on a hunt for my unicorn. I wanted a 2017 Accord coupe, V6, MT6. 2017 was the last year for an Accord coupe and V6. There were 12 configurations of the coupe but only one could be optioned that way. I did a nationwide search for 4 months and found a lease return in Austin with 27k on the odometer. I drove down the next day and bought it. The salesman told me that an Accord optioned that way was a special order and not part of dealer inventory in 2017. More than likely this will be my last car purchase.

I soured on European cars in the 70's having owned a Fiat 850 Spyder and a couple of TR3's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Yes, you are spot on with your take. There are still a few coupes out there. Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, and Challenger come to mind. Big names for those of us born in the '50's. The Japanese imports I think are a thing of the past with the Civic being the last available in 2021....
    Yep, when I started looking for new 2-doors, all I saw were muscle cars and expensive sports cars (Porsches, etc.). And muscle cars just aren't for me, way too big, wish I could afford a Porsche, though...

Thread Information