Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noun Hotel (Campus Corner)

Default Noun Hotel (Campus Corner)

This has been discussed elsewhere but it deserves its own thread.

Press release:

NOUN HOTEL HOLDS GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONY
    THURSDAY, APRIL 22 AT 11 A.M.

WHAT: NOUN Hotel will hold the official groundbreaking ceremony for the upcoming 92-room boutique hotel located on Campus Corner next to the University of Oklahoma on Thursday, April 22 beginning at 11 a.m.

During the ceremony, guests will hear from NOUN Hotel Managing Partner Scott Lambert, President/CEO of the Norman Chamber of Commerce Scott Martin, Cleveland County Commissioner District 1 Rod Cleveland, Visit Norman Executive Director Dan Schemm, and O’Connell’s Irish Pub & Grille Owner Jeff Stewart. Among those in attendance will be partners and consultants on the project, community and business leaders from across the state of Oklahoma, University of Oklahoma students and professors, and members from key community organizations and associations.

The shovel ceremony officially breaking ground on the project will follow, and guests can stay afterward to celebrate with pizza from Volare Pizzeria and beverages.

Soon after the groundbreaking, construction will begin on the four-story boutique hotel at 542 South University Boulevard. When complete, the hotel will include 92 modern guest rooms, a 3,000 square-foot indoor/outdoor bar on the second floor, a 3,000 square-foot restaurant and bar, 3,800 square-foot meeting space, boardroom, and on-site parking. NOUN Hotel, located on Campus Corner, will be within walking distance of the University of Oklahoma and downtown Norman. Partners on the project and for this event include Gateway First Bank, Manhattan Construction, and GH2 Architects.

For more information on NOUN Hotel, please follow @nounhotel on Facebook and Instagram.

WHEN: Thursday, April 22 | 11 a.m. – noon CDT
    10:30–10:50 a.m.: Press arrival
    11 a.m.: Groundbreaking ceremony begins
    11-11:15 a.m.: Speakers:
    Scott Martin, Norman Chamber of Commerce President/CEO
    Rod Cleveland, Cleveland County Commissioner District 1
    Dan Schemm, Visit Norman Executive Director
    Jeff Stewart, O’Connell’s Irish Pub & Grille Owner
    Scott Lambert, NOUN Hotel Managing Partner
    11:15 a.m.: Shovels break ground and photos
    11:20 a.m.: Celebration

WHERE: 542 S. University Boulevard, Norman, OK 73069

ABOUT NOUN HOTEL
    NOUN Hotel is a premier boutique hotel North of the University of Oklahoma opening in 2022. The four-story boutique hotel will feature 92 warm, modern guest rooms, a bar with both indoor and patio seating, an exciting new restaurant, 3,800-square-feet of meeting space and boardrooms, plus on-site parking to make visiting a breeze. NOUN Hotel, located on Campus Corner, will be within walking distance of the University of Oklahoma and downtown Norman, located at 542 South University Boulevard, Norman, OK 73069. For more information on NOUN Hotel, please follow @nounhotel on Facebook and Instagram.

Default Re: Noun Hotel (Campus Corner)

This is great news for Norman and Campus Corner. Hopefully this leads to a renaissance along the University Blvd corridor. It looks like it is also positioned so that the parking lot to the south can be redeveloped in the future.

GH2 Architects has some other renderings on their website:

https://gh2.com/portfolio/NounHotel/NounHotel.html

This hotel will be amazing (and probably expensive) for game days weekends.
    I feel this is something OU has needed on campus corner for a while

That is a lovely building, I hope the in-person results match the rendering.

Great news. Yeah, the parking lots between this hotel and President's house have always made sense to develop. It's just way too good of a location for surface parking. Looking forward to this hotel livening up this side of Campus Corner.

What I find funny about the rendering is that there are no luxury pick-up trucks as vehicles.

Really happy this is moving forward. Pete are the other projects in CC dead? I believe there were two or three other high density proposals.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Really happy this is moving forward. Pete are the other projects in CC dead? I believe there were two or three other high density proposals.
    I'm not sure what you're referencing.

10. Default Re: Noun Hotel (Campus Corner)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There was at one time a multi-story project on the NW corner of Boyd and Dean's Row where the convenience store currently is.

It’s been awhile but there were at least two other proposals for mixed-use retail/residential, that were to be about 3+ stories. I saw several news articles about NIMBYs kicking up a fuss and then silence so I assumed they died but was wanting to know for sure. I’ll dig them up tomorrow on my computer as I’m on my mobile right now.

I walked all around Campus Corner yesterday and Noun was the only new construction.

I walked all around Campus Corner yesterday and Noun was the only new construction.
    I'd love to know the story behind Skinny Slim's Campus Corner location being 90% done for several years. I'd love to know the details? Have they been paying rent all this time? How can you get so close and not finish?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I'd love to know the story behind Skinny Slim's Campus Corner location being 90% done for several years. I'd love to know the details? Have they been paying rent all this time? How can you get so close and not finish?
    Same. Every time I'm down there, I wish it were open for some Saturday morning Premiere League action. I've given up looking to see if its open, and have assumed it never will.

15. Default Re: Noun Hotel (Campus Corner)

Quote Originally Posted by mattjank View Post
    Same. Every time I'm down there, I wish it were open for some Saturday morning Premiere League action. I've given up looking to see if its open, and have assumed it never will.
    I have some vague recollection that they were offered to open a place in a Colorado airport so they stopped to do that construction and never finished the Norman location. I could very well be wrong but for some reason that is has stuck in my head.

**EDit I was completely wrong (https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...t=skinny+slims)

"It seems Skinny Slim's has backed out of opening a the new location in Norman. They bought the old Fat Hedz gas station with the intention of splitting the space. One half was going to be a salon operated by a current GM and the other half was going to be Skinny Slim's. However, the management put in place for the salon fell through. Ownership decided to back off since the idea of operating a Skinny Slim's out of such a large place goes against their entire business model.

Nothing has been decided on what to do with the space quite yet. They already have a lease signed and are currently seeking other concepts. "
    Last edited by FighttheGoodFight; 09-07-2021 at 08:51 AM. Reason: I was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It’s been awhile but there were at least two other proposals for mixed-use retail/residential, that were to be about 3+ stories. I saw several news articles about NIMBYs kicking up a fuss and then silence so I assumed they died but was wanting to know for sure. I’ll dig them up tomorrow on my computer as I’m on my mobile right now.
    You’re thinking of 715 Asp which was a 5 story apartment building and 211 Boyd which I believe was a 6 story office building . Both had ground floor retail space. I was surprised the office proposal didn’t move forward, there isn’t very much office space available in CC

^^ Yes I’m pretty sure those were the two so those are completely dead?

From what I can find, this lot is owned by first Presbyterian church. Do we know if they sold it, or are they going to be landlords?

Quote Originally Posted by formerly405Tulsan View Post
    From what I can find, this lot is owned by first Presbyterian church. Do we know if they sold it, or are they going to be landlords?
    My guess is that the hotel group is doing a long-term ground lease with the church.

My guess is that the hotel group is doing a long-term ground lease with the church.
    Correct.

I went by last week and it looks like they are getting close to topping out the steel framing. This will be a great addition to Campus Corner.

From the Noun Facebook page:

They are starting to brick up (left side of photo):

HangryHippo Guest

That brick is quite a bit darker. I’ll reserve judgment until I can see it in person.

Thread Information