Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noun Hotel (Campus Corner)

Default Re: Noun Hotel (Campus Corner)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Edmond has done a great job of redeveloping their downtown and the area between it and UCO.

If you think about it, it's very similar to the forces at work in downtown Norman and OU.
    Just imagine if we could connect these two areas with commuter rail with OKC in the middle. That would be absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just imagine if we could connect these two areas with commuter rail with OKC in the middle. That would be absolutely amazing.
    Yes, and both have the existing infrastructure.

The Norman train station is awesome and they could easily add another farther south near campus or just create a separate rail spur for that purpose.

It's going to happen, just will take some time.

Edmond has done a great job of redeveloping their downtown and the area between it and UCO.

If you think about it, it's very similar to the forces at work in downtown Norman and OU.
    Better pedestrian connectivity between the UCO campus and Edmond downtown would be nice, I've been walking that recently and crossing Boulevard is a bit hairy at times.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Better pedestrian connectivity between the UCO campus and Edmond downtown would be nice, I've been walking that recently and crossing Boulevard is a bit hairy at times.
    Yes, I love walking that area as well and that is by far the biggest barrier.

Downtown Edmond had made huge progress in a short period so I bet that issue will be eventually addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    It is strange to me people don't want hotels around campus there. Pretty much every home there is a student rental.
    My hope is for some student condo development to occur close to campus. I think this would maybe spur many of these student rental houses, that are in rough shape, to be renovated into nicer family dwellings and would maybe reduce some of the sprawl towards the east side.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Edmond and Norman are both set up to be big winners regarding commuter rail. Norman is set up support a stop right now and Edmond is steadily moving in the right direction.

It would be hard to find a more primed location for a commuter rail stop than downtown Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by KHutch66 View Post
    My hope is for some student condo development to occur close to campus. I think this would maybe spur many of these student rental houses, that are in rough shape, to be renovated into nicer family dwellings and would maybe reduce some of the sprawl towards the east side.
    The biggest opportunity for redevelopment is around the NOUN Hotel along University Blvd. With McFarlin Church on the north end, Evans Hall on the south and line with oak trees it's one of the more scenic streets in Oklahoma IMO. It is the perfect location for dense development especially new housing. The other area is along Asp north of Campus Corner to continue the retail/restaurant corridor to downtown Norman. You start to bridge the gap and all of a sudden this whole area turns into a contiguous urban center for Norman.

^

And all that has been happening and seems to be accelerating.

I recently walked extensively from downtown Norman and all through that area then through Campus. It's almost all small-scale redevelopment which seems appropriate for the area. But it's hard to comprehend how much has already happened unless you really take the time to walk the area. I had driven through and generally knew what was happening, but until I hoofed it around for about 2 hours I had underestimated the momentum.

As with similar urban development, it's all about momentum and then hitting a tipping point and then the ball really starts rolling downhill. It seems to me that that tipping point may have already occurred.

I had the same observation yesterday about Auto Alley. So many extensive renovations that there are very few buildings that haven't been touched with those that remain mostly having firm plans, like the Nova project that is set to start very soon.

It was pretty amazing to think about where things were not that long ago. Still lots of infill that needs to happen there but that is now simply a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    They should add some raised pedestrian crosswalks across Boulevard. There’s almost zero pedestrian crossings except at major intersections which can half a mile out of the way. It’s horrible. The city also needs to widen Boulevard to add fully protected bike lanes between Ayer’s and Second.

This hotel looks like it has quietly opened.

They had certainly taken reservations for today's OU home opener and there are people coming and going and lots of cars in their parking lot.

They still haven't done any landscaping but I suppose the inside was ready enough. Their res site still shows 9/22 as the opening date.

They were definitely open over the weekend, including the 2nd level bar.

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't take many or any reservations during the week until 9/22 while they finish up.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Which begs the question why it took this long to get a hotel near campus and why 5 more aren't under construction right now?
    'cuz Norman.

On another note, I think Pete is referring to all of the high-density housing development in the neighborhood to the north and east of Campus Corner all of the way to the tracks. It's pretty impressive.

It's been a couple of years since my wife and I have enjoyed the gameday experience due to covid. So, while we had seen a few of these developments, we were fairly struck by how many of them there are now with more going up.

I'm sure long-time residents aren't super pumped about having these party complexes on their street, but they have to acknowledge that they live a couple of blocks from 1) a major entertainment district, and 2) a major public university. So, if you move there it kind of comes with the territory.

Overall, we were impressed with the quality of the structures.

Some interior shots from GH2 Architects.

They were open on Friday and Saturday for the OU game but are still finishing up details for their official 9/22 opening.

Looks great, do you know if the restaurant will be open starting 9/22?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Looks great, do you know if the restaurant will be open starting 9/22?
    I believe everything will by that date.

The 2nd level bar has been open the last two weekends.

There is going to be an open house for the public on the 15th according to KOCO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    There is going to be an open house for the public on the 15th according to KOCO.
    4:30-6:30pm

18. Default Re: Noun Hotel (Campus Corner)

Holy Moly! I just checked for fun. $1900 for 2 nights in November! Yeesh!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    game weekend?

I could get business class to Paris for that, lol. And, even if people are willing to pay that, is it a good idea to gouge your earliest customers' eyes out right off the bat?

I know, free market.

This speaks to the need for more lodging options in Central Norman.

For the suite... not the standard rooms?

Having lived in Norman through my college years and walking through downtown Edmond somewhat regularly these days I usually think to myself, "Commuter rail connecting Edmond, OKC, and Norman would be so nice..."

It'd be cool to get off a station in any of the three cities and be close to their downtowns. Sorry, off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    For the suite... not the standard rooms?
    nope that is just a double queen room .. suites are already sold out for all home game weekends ... (2 night min)

Maybe the developers could create a hotel group called Conjugation. The Noun would be first, followed by Verb, Preposition, Conjunctive, etc

From this morning.

Thread Information