Widgets Magazine

Thread: Vehicle window tint laws

Default Vehicle window tint laws

Do we have window tint laws anymore? I'm seeing cars with pitch black tint on their windows and it's more the rule than the exception.

Default Re: Vehicle window tint laws

3. Default Re: Vehicle window tint laws

When I had my Elantra windows tinted when I bought it I went to a shop that most people would recognize the name of. Been in the car business for years. They had 5 or 6 levels of darkness. The said the first 4 were legal and the darkest 2 were not. Take my pick!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    When I had my Elantra windows tinted when I bought it I went to a shop that most people would recognize the name of. Been in the car business for years. They had 5 or 6 levels of darkness. The said the first 4 were legal and the darkest 2 were not. Take my pick!
    So, it’s just not enforced. It’s against the law, just not enforced?

Maybe it's one of those that's not enforced unless they have another reason to pull you over.

Yeah I have a couple vehicles that are tinted way darker then what is legally allowed and I have not ever been questioned about it by law-enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Maybe it's one of those that's not enforced unless they have another reason to pull you over.
    I can understand why some might like a heavy tint but for me, if I can’t see a driver’s face I can’t tell what they’re going to do. If they’re distracted, going to turn left, going to turn right, etc. I have no idea. 🤷*♂️

Ontop of that, you can't see traffic, bicycles or pedestrians through the windows of cars next to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Ontop of that, you can't see traffic, bicycles or pedestrians through the windows of cars next to you.
    Excellent point.

10. Default Re: Vehicle window tint laws

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleChicken View Post
    I can understand why some might like a heavy tint but for me, if I can’t see a driver’s face I can’t tell what they’re going to do. If they’re distracted, going to turn left, going to turn right, etc. I have no idea. ��*♂️
    After many, many years experience I can say that you can't tell what a driver is thinking even if you can see their face. Believing you can on a motorcycle can end very badly.

11. Default Re: Vehicle window tint laws

The tint law is enforced just about as often as the “tires need to be inside the fender” law, which is to say almost never.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    After many, many years experience I can say that you can't tell what a driver is thinking even if you can see their face. Believing you can on a motorcycle can end very badly.
    Yeah, I learned that pretty quickly when I worked in Chicago and had to walk in the Loop all the time, I watch the front wheels of the cars to see what they're going to do...

13. Default Re: Vehicle window tint laws

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yeah, I learned that pretty quickly when I worked in Chicago and had to walk in the Loop all the time, I watch the front wheels of the cars to see what they're going to do...
    That's one of the main things they harp on in motorcycle safety school.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfTheVillage View Post
    The tint law is enforced just about as often as the “tires need to be inside the fender” law, which is to say almost never.
    I think these are categorized as "secondary violations", which are not used to initiate a traffic stop. When Oklahoma eliminated the State Safety Inspection law it made equipment violations practically non-existent.

It's tint on the front windshield that I don't understand, especially at night. I've noticed more of it over the last couple years.

So while I agree with the visibility criticisms of tinting (especially on the windshield) part of me wonders how many of these tinting laws have their basis in targeting specific communities/demographics. I had dark tinting well over the limit on my car when I was a teenager in Edmond, and through multiple traffic stops and such it was never mentioned. But I've certainly seen it enforced in other areas of the metro. It seems to me if they cared that much about it, they would be targeting these businesses which on daily basis install illegal tint on people's windows.

Thread Information