Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oklahoma County Sheriff's Department Reality Show

Default Re: Oklahoma County Sheriff's Department Reality Show

I’ve been watching Jeremy Dewitte on Police Activity. That has been extremely interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    Apparently you never watched Live PD. 90% or more of it was literally live television. The only way they could show people's faces was because it was un-edited and fell into the category of live news. They had a few edited and pre-recorded spots that were used to fill slow moments, but otherwise it was straight up live policing.

There are some rumors that's it's coming back and I hope they are true.
    right... except that apparently the agencies got final cut....

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cancel...s-records-show

apparently in the review... of the 47 law enforcement agencies that participated in the show, 20 of those were allowed to review the footage before it aired, and 13 of those agencies asked the show to not broadcast certain encounters. That is where the edits took place.. if a full segment was deemed to make officers look bad, it was cut. that's still editing to tell the story they want to show.

and while Live PD seemed willing to toss out footage that made police departments look bad, it was an uphill battle for the people they encountered in those videos. LIVE PD was a horrible show that exploited people.

Whenever I see or hear "Sheriff's Department" in regards to Oklahoma county my OCD flares up. It is the Sheriff's Office. Not to be confused with Police Department. Technically the sheriff is an elected official whereas a police chief is appointed.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma County Sheriff's Department Reality Show

If you're that concerned about how fast an officer shows up, then you should be equally concerned about how fast a paramedic or a fireman can show up as well.

When we say overpoliced, it's the overlapping coverage from different sources, the main one being the sheriff. They are NOT going to respond to an OKC domestic call...hell, can they even hear it on the radio? But they will be patrolling looking for traffic bullcrap. So is it a better use of their time to write speeding tickets or to man their jail? Do they need all those specialized military surplus vehicles they have stored in MWC? Is it really a good investment to buy the armored vehicle to use in tornado areas? They haven't used it for squat. You're not going to drive it out to a tornado area and just run over things, you might run over people too. And then you have to spend the other 99.9% of the time maintaining it in the name of "preparedness". It's just playing on people's emotions to give them a false feeling of whatever. That kind of misuse of funds is that this department has had in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    right... except that apparently the agencies got final cut....

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cancel...s-records-show

apparently in the review... of the 47 law enforcement agencies that participated in the show, 20 of those were allowed to review the footage before it aired, and 13 of those agencies asked the show to not broadcast certain encounters. That is where the edits took place.. if a full segment was deemed to make officers look bad, it was cut. that's still editing to tell the story they want to show.

and while Live PD seemed willing to toss out footage that made police departments look bad, it was an uphill battle for the people they encountered in those videos. LIVE PD was a horrible show that exploited people.
    All of the footage discussed in that article only cover the footage that was recorded for gap usage during the live show. While the show was on live the majority of it was live feed and they only used this gap footage when all the live crews were in between stops and when there was nothing happening to show live. When you watch the show you would see that most of the stops and or incidents were just mundane run of mill things that would never air or make an editing cut on a produced cut.

And, many of the episodes showed these police officers helping people in need, de-escalation of difficult scenes, and cops going out of their way to handle domestic incidents with care and grace. If this show taught us anything, it's that cops do lot of things most people wouldn't want to do and they actually showed far more patience than I think most people would give some of the people they encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    All of the footage discussed in that article only cover the footage that was recorded for gap usage during the live show. While the show was on live the majority of it was live feed and they only used this gap footage when all the live crews were in between stops and when there was nothing happening to show live. When you watch the show you would see that most of the stops and or incidents were just mundane run of mill things that would never air or make an editing cut on a produced cut.

And, many of the episodes showed these police officers helping people in need, de-escalation of difficult scenes, and cops going out of their way to handle domestic incidents with care and grace. If this show taught us anything, it's that cops do lot of things most people wouldn't want to do and they actually showed far more patience than I think most people would give some of the people they encountered.
    oh i give most cops a lot of respect for what we ask them to do that they shouldn't have to do in the first place... it's why i want to take some of the load off of them, and that to people better suited for those calls.

but you are right. i never saw an episode of LIVE PD... it's probably the same reason i don't watch any reality TV... it's one of two things... it's either scripted to the point that there is no reality left, or it's exploitation for the sake of hoping for good ratings. and both of those to me scream despicable tv.

Thread Information