Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: April 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: April 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Flood watch issued for C and SC OK. As other posters have mentioned, multiple waves of thunderstorms are expected to begin this evening. Other than localized flooding, greatest threat is hail and wind with these. Most of the organized supercell potential appears to be across NW TX.

This will be very welcomes rain and should really help out in getting us back to normal for this time of year.

2. Default Re: April 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post

This will be very welcomes rain and should really help out in getting us back to normal for this time of year.

It's a mixed blessing.... It's going to finish filling my pond in Carter County that was 10' low but we just brought in tons of dirt and have a dozer on site to get a new home started.... This is going to set us back

3. Default Re: April 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    It's a mixed blessing.... It's going to finish filling my pond in Carter County that was 10' low but we just brought in tons of dirt and have a dozer on site to get a new home started.... This is going to set us back
    I’m crying thinking about your lumber bill on a new build.

4. Default Re: April 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I’m crying thinking about your lumber bill on a new build.
    Metal home with metal wall studs.... Because it's about the same price for a sturdier product and cheaper insurance

The storm complex currently stretching from Gracemont to El Reno will likely be our main action this evening. Severe threat looks marginal, wouldn't expect anything more than some isolated hail reports. Given the anomalously high moisture levels for late April, expecting heavy rain to be the main issue.

I feel like the latest model runs are starting to diminish the storms/rain a bit.

The info on this board is better than you get from the TV people much more accurate.

Keep an eye on Tomorrow. Might be a sleeper day. If and it's a big if right now we recover from morning storms it could be more interesting than today. Today was capped and really too cool again at least for most of the state. Exception being down by the red river

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Keep an eye on Tomorrow. Might be a sleeper day. If and it's a big if right now we recover from morning storms it could be more interesting than today. Today was capped and really too cool again at least for most of the state. Exception being down by the red river
    Agreed. Wouldn’t be surprised if there is a conditional threat for a weak tornado or two tomorrow afternoon. Instability looks good. The shear isn’t all that great looking but it’s there. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Agreed. Wouldn’t be surprised if there is a conditional threat for a weak tornado or two tomorrow afternoon. Instability looks good. The shear isn’t all that great looking but it’s there. Will be interesting to see what happens.
    Yep. It's might also depends on fronts and boundaries also. Does the Cold front come thru the metro by 4pm? Does it say west of the Metro and OKC stays in the warm sector. Very interesting. It could also stay cloudy all day and not a thing happens.

I wonder how active May will be. I see some chatter on the web about the MJO phase will lead to more favorable conditions for more western troughs to form after the second weekend of May.

What is the best website to determine the amount of rainfall received?

I use Weather Underground but their local gauges are all over the place and never seem to reflect accurate totals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I use Weather Underground but their local gauges are all over the place and never seem to reflect accurate totals.
    May not be as granular as you’re wanting but the Mesonet app has some great maps, including rainfall accumulation over different timeframes.

14. Default Re: April 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

https://www.mesonet.org/index.php/we...egory/rainfall

I second the Mesonet suggestion, also maps.cocorahs.org is another good one.

Our local news stations I swear. They spend all afternoon and evening tracking rain showers and some strong storms in Texas with two dozen storm trackers and helicopters and then night comes and storms actually start ramping up and nothing.

Ive got family in the Asher area, watching the RadarScope app last night and seeing some circulation building near Paul’s Valley. Flip back on the TV to see if the local news has anything. Only KOCO5 is even covering it.

I call my uncle a bit before midnight I think and he’s completely unaware anything’s even coming. Thankfully everything was fine.

Then this morning we have a tornado warning near McAllister and again nothing on TV about it. But lord help us they tracked tornadoes in Texas all afternoon the other day. I don’t get it sometimes. I guess SE OK is Texarkana news market maybe? But still I mean they carried the tornadoes in Texas live last week.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    Our local news stations I swear. They spend all afternoon and evening tracking rain showers and some strong storms in Texas with two dozen storm trackers and helicopters and then night comes and storms actually start ramping up and nothing.

Ive got family in the Asher area, watching the RadarScope app last night and seeing some circulation building near Paul’s Valley. Flip back on the TV to see if the local news has anything. Only KOCO5 is even covering it.

I call my uncle a bit before midnight I think and he’s completely unaware anything’s even coming. Thankfully everything was fine.

Then this morning we have a tornado warning near McAllister and again nothing on TV about it. But lord help us they tracked tornadoes in Texas all afternoon the other day. I don’t get it sometimes. I guess SE OK is Texarkana news market maybe? But still I mean they carried the tornadoes in Texas live last week.
    May I suggest the purchase of a dedicated NWS radio that comes on when conditions warrant?

Thanks for the Mesonet suggestion.

Very helpful.

Seems like the models are starting to differentiate a bit. The HRRR is showing almost no rain tonight with the storms being cut off by the frontal boundary moving into the region. The NAM is still showing a big line of storms firing as an MCS. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out. Could be a pretty epic bust by news 9 of nothing happens tonight.

Some solid clearing taking place just W of C OK ahead of the dryline. Could see a strong cell or two pop up heading into the later afternoon. Especially across SW into SC OK.

Line of storms going up now on the W side of I-44 corridor. So far nothing severe in terms of watches or warnings, but some embedded cells are getting stronger.

There wasn't really enough convergence along the front today to get things really going. Around noon we had calm winds in spots. Light N winds in spots light sw winds in spots. Just couldn't really get things going.

Single severe cell heading toward Chickasha right now.

Storm looks to have amped up and I wouldn't be surprised to see some sig severe hail reports from the Pocasset/Amber/Bridge Creek areas. We'll see if it can keep it up as it heads into Norman.

More of a NE jog now. Going right into Newcastle. Moore might be next in line.

Thread Information