Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

Default OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

I have been noticing that both ATTFiber and OECFiber have been fairly rapidly expanding their service in SW OKC - with OECFiber laying a cable plant near SW 104th and Santa Fe to SW 89th and Walker, and ATT Fiber going in along SW 89th just east of May.

I'm trying to find some more detailed information on these rollouts. I know OECFiber has a "new service" map, but it tends to be somewhat behind their actual rollouts. I've not found anything on ATTFiber. I'm looking forward to either as an immediate replacement for Cox internet, with its asinine data caps and expense. OECFiber is apparently offering 1Gb symmetric Internet service for something like $80/month, which I would/will jump at instantly if it becomes available. I'm less enamored of ATT as an alternative, but if its comparable, I'll take it. I just want rid of Cox.

Does anyone have or know where I might find more detailed information regarding either of these new rollouts?

2. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

No but I'll be watching. In our area COX has become very unreliable. We have a neighborhood FB page and there are almost daily posts on COX outages.
    Then just a month after buying a new cable modem I get an email from COX that they are upgrading something about our area's service and my modem won't be on the new "acceptable" list. Thinking scam I chatted with COX and nope. Some change they're making will require me to change modems again.
    And there's a guy across the street that drives a big black truck with LED sign panels advertising for ATT fiber. He usually turns it off before coming in the neighborhood but once when he didn't I gave him a hard time for advertising something we can't even get.

Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

i have no official details... but my folks live near 104th & walker and oec was laying cable in their backyard (according to them) around 4-5 months ago. however, there has been no further action to actually get their house wired up. the crazy thing is that they're not even an oec customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i have no official details... but my folks live near 104th & walker and oec was laying cable in their backyard (according to them) around 4-5 months ago. however, there has been no further action to actually get their house wired up. the crazy thing is that they're not even an oec customer.
    My mom lives **very near** that area and there have been OECFiber trucks throughout her area - even signs saying "OECFiber Coming Soon." I told her the moment she got any kind of flyer she should sign up. I saw a service truck over there just last weekend. I can only assume retail availability could be announced literally anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    My mom lives **very near** that area and there have been OECFiber trucks throughout her area - even signs saying "OECFiber Coming Soon." I told her the moment she got any kind of flyer she should sign up. I saw a service truck over there just last weekend. I can only assume retail availability could be announced literally anytime.
    i hope all that is an indication that service is coming within a year... my parents are fed up with cox (mainly the $$$) and are trying to get me to set them up with some sort of internet tv service. they're not computer-savvy and so i'm a little concerned that such a service isn't for them. i'm thinking oec tv will be a good fit... or at least be a good fallback if they are absolutely lost on internet tv.

6. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

I’ve been on the “OEC Fiber Coming Soon” train for a year. I kind of gave up. I think the pandemic slowed their plans wayyy down.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I’ve been on the “OEC Fiber Coming Soon” train for a year. I kind of gave up. I think the pandemic slowed their plans wayyy down.
    I'm on the train until they kick me off. I've *got* to get away from Cox because I'm sick to death of watching my daily data to ensure I don't go over their fake cap. What's the point of the faster service if all it does is race you toward *more* charges for using up your "allotment" of data even sooner? Its insidious. It's also the first time I've admitted to myself I'd jump to ATT if they offer service without caps, and I think they do. I know OECFiber promises "no caps, ever."

I have to think common business sensibilities are going to kick in for Cox eventually, and they'll abandon caps as have many other ISP's nationwide. But I'm sick of waiting. I'm sick of Cox. I'm sick of their nickel-and-dime-you-to-death crapola. I'm sick of their idiot commercials for what amounts to home mesh wifi as if they'd discovered a cure for cancer. I'm just sick, sick, sick to death of Cox. I'm sick of their forced hardware upgrades only to let you keep a "grandfathered" plan.

I'm just sick to death of Cox, period. But, right now, with two of us working from home indefinitely, I literally have no practical, realistic alternative - I've got to have good upstream bandwidth. About the only good thing I can say about Cox Internet is "it works."

8. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

I'm on the train until they kick me off. I've *got* to get away from Cox because I'm sick to death of watching my daily data to ensure I don't go over their fake cap. What's the point of the faster service if all it does is race you toward *more* charges for using up your "allotment" of data even sooner? Its insidious. It's also the first time I've admitted to myself I'd jump to ATT if they offer service without caps, and I think they do. I know OECFiber promises "no caps, ever."

I have to think common business sensibilities are going to kick in for Cox eventually, and they'll abandon caps as have many other ISP's nationwide. But I'm sick of waiting. I'm sick of Cox. I'm sick of their nickel-and-dime-you-to-death crapola. I'm sick of their idiot commercials for what amounts to home mesh wifi as if they'd discovered a cure for cancer. I'm just sick, sick, sick to death of Cox. I'm sick of their forced hardware upgrades only to let you keep a "grandfathered" plan.

I'm just sick to death of Cox, period. But, right now, with two of us working from home indefinitely, I literally have no practical, realistic alternative - I've got to have good upstream bandwidth. About the only good thing I can say about Cox Internet is "it works."
    They are a cable company that happens to have internet. You are already seeing the move away from traditional cable so they are trying to get that extra money squeezed out of internet customers, anti virus, mesh wifi networks, etc... I think it will only get worse. Unless we see a good spread of 5G or more competition like OEC.

Interesting, I have almost a 180-degree take on Cox. Only time it's gone out for me in any major (more than an hour) way was during the massive ice storm in Oct (we've lived in this house for almost 5 years). Have never hit a data cap (we don't use Netflix, etc., though, or stream anything, have enough on the DVR and DVDs/Blu-rays to last a lifetime, and thought Cox eliminated data caps during the pandemic, but maybe not), have never had to change my modem here, get great speeds both up and down, basically no problems whatsoever for almost 5 years. Pay $230-ish monthly, have HSI Preferred, Contour with DVR, but no add-on paks/channels, and phone (only have phone because I get a bundle discount and it's cheaper to have it than not, weirdly). And we're in Venice, which is an old neighborhood.

Having said that, like you, I'm sick, sick, sick of their ubiquitous commercials, but we watch 95% of TV from DVR, we'll even wait until 20 mins in to an hour show and start watching then so we can skip commercials.

But if Google or OEC fiber comes along and it's cheaper and just as reliable, I'm done w/Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Interesting, I have almost a 180-degree take on Cox. Only time it's gone out for me in any major (more than an hour) way was during the massive ice storm in Oct (we've lived in this house for almost 5 years). Have never hit a data cap (we don't use Netflix, etc., though, or stream anything, have enough on the DVR and DVDs/Blu-rays to last a lifetime, and thought Cox eliminated data caps during the pandemic, but maybe not), have never had to change my modem here, get great speeds both up and down, basically no problems whatsoever for almost 5 years. Pay $230-ish monthly, have HSI Preferred, Contour with DVR, but no add-on paks/channels, and phone (only have phone because I get a bundle discount and it's cheaper to have it than not, weirdly). And we're in Venice, which is an old neighborhood.

Having said that, like you, I'm sick, sick, sick of their ubiquitous commercials, but we watch 95% of TV from DVR, we'll even wait until 20 mins in to an hour show and start watching then so we can skip commercials.

But if Google or OEC fiber comes along and it's cheaper and just as reliable, I'm done w/Cox.
    I had less quibble with their services than their pricing. I dropped phone and TV, went to Google Voice to keep my landline (free), YouTube TV, and 300mpbs Internet. My bill was going to up to $230+ per month; I'm saving ~$70/mo now with Cox as 'Net only. That's $840/year. Can't sneeze at that.

Like I said, Cox works. I can say that much. And that's not a zero-value element. But if OEC comes along and offers symmetric gigabit for less with no data cap, it's a no-brainer. I just had to plunk down more $$ to move to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem to keep my 300/30 plan, or they'd have moved me to a 500/10 plan. Can't do that.

I pay $60 per month for AT&T Fiber 1GB symmetric in north OKC, so I doubt I would pick OEC if I had the option since they are $80 a month for the same thing. Now, my rate is a promotion and it normally should be $80. But, I just spend about 10 minutes on the phone once per year when the rate is about to go up and I've been able to keep it at $60 for three years running. I usually say something like "well I can get Cox 300MB for $50 per month right now" and that's all it takes.

BTW - most people can't really use anything over 400-500MB speeds anyway. AT&T's own wifi router doesn't go above 600MB most days. You would need to hardwire to get anything better than that. 300MB up/down will do the trick for 99% of residences.

12. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

ATTFiber has been going in on the SE side too, but the contractor they're using suuuuuucks. They tear everything up and dont put a stitch of grass back where they work. Saw a couple of people switch already. You can tell because the installers just lay the new fiber line on the ground between the street box and the home. I'm sure they'll come back and burry it later, it's just funny and goes hand-in-hand with crapy ATT workmanship.

13. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

^
    COX does the same as far as just running the cable across the yard and having another crew bury it later.

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    I pay $60 per month for AT&T Fiber 1GB symmetric in north OKC, so I doubt I would pick OEC if I had the option since they are $80 a month for the same thing. Now, my rate is a promotion and it normally should be $80. But, I just spend about 10 minutes on the phone once per year when the rate is about to go up and I've been able to keep it at $60 for three years running. I usually say something like "well I can get Cox 300MB for $50 per month right now" and that's all it takes.

BTW - most people can't really use anything over 400-500MB speeds anyway. AT&T's own wifi router doesn't go above 600MB most days. You would need to hardwire to get anything better than that. 300MB up/down will do the trick for 99% of residences.
    I don't need gig speeds, but I sure want symmetric service with no caps. I've been with Cox twenty-plus years and they wouldn't give me 300mbps for $50/no of my life depended on it. I argued with a retention rep more than once and it was no dice. I used to be able to play that game with them, but no more.

For those that got OEC Fiber, approximately how long was it from the time they started marking your area until you were able to buy service?

They've been on the pole about 6 houses down my street for over a year now. Last week, they marked the utility easement in our backyards for the entire street. I can't imagine they mark too far in advance of digging since paint fades and flags get ripped up by lawn crews, etc.

Just looking for a ballpark idea on if we are a few weeks or many months away. The day that I can give Cox the big middle finger will be the highlight of this decade for me.

your mileage may vary, but i want to say that it was a month or two after they marked my yard... not fast by any stretch.

it's been almost a year for me and i've been super happy with oec internet.

17. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
    For those that got OEC Fiber, approximately how long was it from the time they started marking your area until you were able to buy service?

They've been on the pole about 6 houses down my street for over a year now. Last week, they marked the utility easement in our backyards for the entire street. I can't imagine they mark too far in advance of digging since paint fades and flags get ripped up by lawn crews, etc.

Just looking for a ballpark idea on if we are a few weeks or many months away. The day that I can give Cox the big middle finger will be the highlight of this decade for me.
    9 months from them running the fibre in my neighborhood to having it activated in my house.

There might be another alternative, if you like Elon Musk type stuff. Starlink might be available, you'd have to go to their website and enter your address. Kind of pricey but it gets good reviews. I've got a lake place and it's about the only way to get high speed out in the boon docks. I'm still on the waiting list.

https://www.starlink.com/

your mileage may vary, but i want to say that it was a month or two after they marked my yard... not fast by any stretch.

it's been almost a year for me and i've been super happy with oec internet.
    If they'd make it available, I'd have signed up yesterday. My neighbor told me he got an email notice that our neighborhood was next in line to be built out, but that was back in January and nothing has happened.

If they'd make it available, I'd have signed up yesterday. My neighbor told me he got an email notice that our neighborhood was next in line to be built out, but that was back in January and nothing has happened.
    if i remember right, you're around a mile north of me... i just checked the fiber map and am surprised at the lack of progress in the area. a large portion of my neighborhood hasn't even been finished.

based on the time that i got the 'next in line' letter and when oec started working in my neighborhood, i'd say you might be looking at june/july. that's just for oec to start. with any luck, you'll be hooked up by the end of the year.

21. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

if i remember right, you're around a mile north of me... i just checked the fiber map and am surprised at the lack of progress in the area. a large portion of my neighborhood hasn't even been finished.

based on the time that i got the 'next in line' letter and when oec started working in my neighborhood, i'd say you might be looking at june/july. that's just for oec to start. with any luck, you'll be hooked up by the end of the year.
    As I understand OEC fiber's expansion is now tapering off. They are now focusing on more signups to get that money back they just spent in build outs. I follow them on socials and it used to be new areas every week. I see maybe one small area a month now.

That would be great!! Here's hoping. The crazy part is that an OECFiber map shows literally the entire area around me is fibered up, but literally not *my neighborhood*. My fear is that our addition is relatively small and thus not much of a priority to get hooked up

https://oecfiber.com/construction/ shows 4 major steps in the buildout.

First is pulling the pipe. As of this week, they are doing both sides of my street.

Progress is good, thanks for the feedback.

Since my last post, they have completed boring in the conduit in the entire neighborhood, and pulled the fiber to the newly installed pedestals last week. So far, the fiber from the neighborhood is still hanging in a coil on the pole where their fiber is, waiting to be spliced into the network.

Hopefully it won't be much longer now.

Update:
    The weeks of 5-15 and 5-23 had them out doing the splicing at each pod in the back yards. Final pole construction was also done too.
    The week of 5-23 had them on my specific street and the contractor (Trans-Tel) told me to expect to go live within 30 days.

Happy to report that as of 6/6 it is now available for order, and my order is placed. Utility locators showed up on 6/7 and currently waiting for the drop from the pedestal to my house to be done.

Hopefully this helps someone else wondering how long the process will take.

Thread Information