Widgets Magazine

Thread: NW 36th and Penn

1. Default NW 36th and Penn

Does anyone know what's might be happening on the Northwest corner of NW 36th and Penn? Dirt work has started.

Default Re: NW 36th and Penn

I'm hoping it's another small apartment complex that takes a decade to build, for the memes.

I can't find anything digging through city records except a SPUD from back in 2014 to rezone and build a commercial retail center with no further details. A bunch of water and electrical permits have been recently issued for construction to begin, though.

4. Default Re: NW 36th and Penn

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I'm hoping it's another small apartment complex that takes a decade to build, for the memes.
    Like the one just south of there. It took more than one decade.

I believe it will be a small strip center.

This is the building on the NW corner of NW 36th and Penn:

There are no words

Blog Entries

There are words all right, they're just not suitable for this family friendly site.

I'm in the immediate area and am so dismayed that this is what this intersection gets. It is times like this that I sure do wish we had more stringent design standards in more parts of the core beyond Downtown. There goes any hope of getting something walkable that would make this intersection more of a destination beyond liquor stores and auto repair shops... Womp.

Word on the street is that this will be a place to get a drive through tattoo, a case of beer, and a spark plug replacement, in under an hour

wow. i was under the impression that the city required (at the very least) for metal buildings on commercial property to be clad in something like brick or eifs.

This is an atrocity.

Blog Entries

Would form-based codes have solved this? I think yes, but I'm not an expert.

14. Default Re: NW 36th and Penn

The exterior is being bricked, so maybe not quite as atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by moxyweez View Post
    The exterior is being bricked, so maybe not quite as atrocious.
    Which we would have seen if we looked closer at the pictures (brick pallets are like right there). Honestly, though, I don't think I've ever seen a building constructed like that before. I'm no expert, so it could be a regular technique, but what's the reason for the metal layer?

16. Default Re: NW 36th and Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Which we would have seen if we looked closer at the pictures (brick pallets are like right there). Honestly, though, I don't think I've ever seen a building constructed like that before. I'm no expert, so it could be a regular technique, but what's the reason for the metal layer?
    Cheap, durable, substrate and vapor barrier all in one. Typically used in PEMB construction.

All American Tools & Fasteners is taking the southern half of this building.

They have another location at Reno & Western; not sure if this is additional or a relocation.

I believe they repair power tools.

18. Default Re: NW 36th and Penn

Thanks for the info.

It won't win any design awards and I still think this corner deserved better, but this turned out better than I expected when I first saw that sheet metal going up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211218_175949065.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	17254

^

The main tenant is All American Tools & Fasteners (they repair tools; will take the southern half) and they are relocating from Reno & Western, as that site will be demolished to make way for a new 7/11 at that intersection.

So they bricked up the sheet metal and then painted the brick? Well, you win some you lose some.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    So they bricked up the sheet metal and then painted the brick? Well, you win some you lose some.
    I don't think the brick is painted, but I can't swear to it. Drive by it a couple times a week, and it just kinda flows together after a while. In fact, I drove by this morning and noticed a pair of City Inspector vehicles out front. So, I'm guessing they will be allowed to move in the next cople weeks.

The original picture up-thread with the stacks of bricks has non-black bricks, so unless they sent those back and got black (or maybe grey) bricks instead I'm not sure what else might have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The original picture up-thread with the stacks of bricks has non-black bricks, so unless they sent those back and got black (or maybe grey) bricks instead I'm not sure what else might have happened.
    Yeah, the original bricks were definitely a tan color and now they're dark grey.

Thread Information