Widgets Magazine

Thread: 3 Alarm Fire

Default 3 Alarm Fire

Apartments at Kerr and Shartel have a major fire going on.

Default Re: 3 Alarm Fire

Looks like it's at Sycamore Square, or at least the portion that are apartments called The Haven (north half of that complex are still individually owned condos).

This is only a block from the big fire last week.

My unit was affected. I had just come home from work and started to smell smoke when people banged on my door to evacuate. I was able to go in this evening very quickly to grab some medication and important things. Lots of water damage for sure in my living room. Hoping I'll be able to salvage the most important things.

Oklahoman reported that 6 units had fire damage and another 12 with smoke/water damage.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    My unit was affected. I had just come home from work and started to smell smoke when people banged on my door to evacuate. I was able to go in this evening very quickly to grab some medication and important things. Lots of water damage for sure in my living room. Hoping I'll be able to salvage the most important things.
    Sorry to hear that.

6. Default Re: 3 Alarm Fire

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Midtowner. I'm in the complex nextdoor and saw it all. Hopefully you salvaged some items of sentiment. Very scary

Thank you, everyone! Good news is that most of my personal belongings and virtually all my sentimental items are just fine. I'll be gathering all those items up the rest of this week. Most of my neighbors and myself are moving to a nearby complex. Insurance is going to take care of all my big items like furniture and beds. There was quite a bit of smoke and water damage to all the units in my building. I was told the entire building is a loss and they will have to completely rebuild.

8. Default Re: 3 Alarm Fire

That's good to hear. Interesting to see how they will rebuild into the current footprint.

Remember, the newish owners originally planned to add more units on the same property.

I wonder if they'll bring that plan forward again.

10. Default Re: 3 Alarm Fire

^^ Yes! I had forgotten about that plan.

I rented there back when the Fretwells owned it. I'm surprised that fire was as bad as it was. Those are some really well-built units. I rarely heard anything from neighbors despite being on the 2nd floor. We had a lot of neat stuff going back there, including a community garden. I do recall that for a downtown development, the land use was extremely inefficient.

Thread Information