Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Velvet Taco

Large Chain Velvet Taco

Velvet Taco set to enter OKC market

A very popular taco restaurant will soon be entering the Oklahoma City market.

Velvet Taco began in Dallas in 2011 and currently has over 20 locations in Texas, Georgia, North Carolina and Illinois.

The high-style chain typically features a dining room but also a large covered patio area.

The menu consists of more than 20 taco varieties including the Spicy Tikka Chicken and Fish 'n Chips as well as creative sides and made from scratch red velvet cake.

Breakfast tacos are served all day. Margaritas and an assortment of beers are also offerred.

A drive-thru is available for orders placed in advance.

Velvet Taco has submitted building permits for the former McAlister's Deli location on Lindsey Street in Norman and has been scouting other sites in the OKC area.

For more information, go to www.velvettaco.com.

Default Re: Velvet Taco

They seem to be following the same plan as Torchy's: go to Norman first then expand into OKC.

3. Default Re: Velvet Taco

Think that is mostly for the built in college crowd of more than half of kids from Texas?

I think it will do pretty well in Norman and I am happy something is going in on Lindsay Street, which has looked a little rough after the street redo.

A lot of people prefer VT over Torchy's, and that's saying something.

They have a very good reputation and their locations are generally pakced.

Hopefully they don’t follow the Torchy’s trend of expanding too quickly with the quality going downhill accordingly.

When we were leaving Clovis, NM last week, we passed a building with a sign "Velvet Taco" and my first though was NOT tacos, in the food sense. Sure enough, it was a lingerie store (and who knows what else?).

I was just a little surprised to see the announcement here, but quickly realized this company really does serve food.

There is a chain in California called the Pink Taco, which is even worse.

8. Default Re: Velvet Taco

Isn't this the same restaurant group that runs Whiskey Cake? I seem to remember one of the early managers at the OKC Whiskey Cake who got moved to open a Velvet Taco down in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Isn't this the same restaurant group that runs Whiskey Cake? I seem to remember one of the early managers at the OKC Whiskey Cake who got moved to open a Velvet Taco down in Texas.
    I don't believe they are related in any way.

10. Default Re: Velvet Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't believe they are related in any way.
    It looks like Front Burner owned them and then an investment group bought a majority stack in Velvet Taco.

Front Burner

L. Catterton

There is a chain in California called the Pink Taco, which is even worse.
    I went to a Pink Taco in Vegas. It seemed as if the target demo was the younger under 40 crowd. The food was similar to Torchy's.

Here is the 3d view and floor plan for the Norman location.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	8.58 MB 
ID:	16819
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	16820

13. Default Re: Velvet Taco

Looking at the Dallas store's menu I can't say anything just screams amazing must have tacos. But then I'm a very simple guy food wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Looking at the Dallas store's menu I can't say anything just screams amazing must have tacos. But then I'm a very simple guy food wise.
    Nm.

There was a VT down the street from us in N Dallas and we ate there twice in a span of a three-day jaunt to my parent's for Easter. Place is legit. Had a spicy tikka chicken taco and shrimp and grits taco -- super incredible. My daughter, who is a queso snob, highly approved their red curry coconut queso, and we all thought it was fantastic. The Elote Corn -- awesome. They have some sort of sour cream sauce they serve with all their stuff that's addictive. Also enjoyed a couple of their Paloma margaritas. I thought it was much better than Torchy's. The tacos at VT were not so overstuffed you could actually manage them without a fork. We already decided that when they open in Norman we will make the trek from Edmond to partake often.

^

I've heard lots of people say they prefer Velvet Taco to Torchy's.

Look forward to them opening some OKC locations.

^

I've heard lots of people say they prefer Velvet Taco to Torchy's.

Look forward to them opening some OKC locations.
    We didn’t like Torchy’s at all. Would definitely give them a try if the get north of Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleChicken View Post
    We didn’t like Torchy’s at all. Would definitely give them a try if the get north of Norman.
    I agreee Torchys is terrible. Tried it twice and was underwhelmed both time. Love Fuzzys however.

I prefer VT over Torchy's. I live in Plano and they opened a new VT on the corner of Park and Preston. I love their fish tacos and they have a really good red velvet cake! Also, they have really good margaritas.

IMO none of these compare to Taco Deli. Need to see them move north of the Red River

Or a Taqueria La Ventana is what OKC needs next. https://www.taquerialaventana.com

Progress on Lindsey Street in Norman:

almost fitting that this is going in where atomic burrito was over 20 years ago... underneath all the additions, i'm pretty sure this structure began its life as a burger king.

The Velvet Taco location in Norman has a sign up that says Training in Progress so they should be getting close to opening soon.

Velvet Taco opens today (Monday).

Sun - Wed 11A-10P
    Thursday 11A-Midnight
    Fri - Sat 11A-2A

Thread Information