Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oklahoma River improvements

Default Oklahoma River improvements

Am I the only one who would like to see improvements and development along a greater area of the Oklahoma River? The trails are okay, but it seems like there's a lot of potential along the river. Anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

Wrong thread.

There are mid-term plans to do an equestrian center near the Stockyards on the south shore.

Also, improvements already under way on the lower section of Scissortail Park, Wiley Post Park and Manuel Perez Park.

Also a pedestrian bridge planned for near Wheeler Park.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

I wouldn't mind seeing some areas of the river having some development. But I more agree with Panda's idea of the Stockyards area. Or the old CoOp site being developed first. Then there's the probable number of restaurants and retail sites that COVID is likely to leave empty and some in pretty nice locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing some areas of the river having some development. But I more agree with Panda's idea of the Stockyards area. Or the old CoOp site being developed first. Then there's the probable number of restaurants and retail sites that COVID is likely to leave empty and some in pretty nice locations.
    It would be cool to see the Stockyards injected with new life, would be further into the southside, and be close to a potential future rail line.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It would be cool to see the Stockyards injected with new life, would be further into the southside, and be close to a potential future rail line.
    Agreed. It would be good to see such a historical area get a shot in the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Agreed. It would be good to see such a historical area get a shot in the arm.
    I was poking around Google maps and street view and I came across the stockyards at Fort Worth, I was surprised how nice it was. I need to check it out in person next time I’m there. I was also surprised to see a Cattlemens. I wasn’t aware it was a chain.

^

Even though they have the same name, they are unrelated.

9. Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

I was poking around Google maps and street view and I came across the stockyards at Fort Worth, I was surprised how nice it was. I need to check it out in person next time I’m there. I was also surprised to see a Cattlemens. I wasn’t aware it was a chain.
    My best friend/brother in law Geocache. We've spent a couple weekends going to a couple Ranger games and caching the DFW area. The Ft Worth stockyards area is very nice. Ours could be too.

From the times I have been to the river, it is just way too dead. I'm sure a lot of people don't even feel comfortable running along it. I've been saying for years that the land near riversport really could use a mixed use hotel/apartments development. The dog business is a good start.

11. Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

It needs a boardwalk/promenade along parts. I would also say it needs anything from playground equipment to benches to public piano's to areas for artists to do their thing. There should be sections set up for groups to plant landscapes and lots of trees. Encourage simple ballfields and just well-kept open spaces - anything to simply attract people.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It needs a boardwalk/promenade along parts. I would also say it needs anything from playground equipment to benches to public piano's to areas for artists to do their thing. There should be sections set up for groups to plant landscapes and lots of trees. Encourage simple ballfields and just well-kept open spaces - anything to simply attract people.
    If we could do what Tulsa did next to the Arkansas river that would be ideal. Heck even having a trail with a pedestrian side and a two way bicycle side would help.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    If we could do what Tulsa did next to the Arkansas river that would be ideal. Heck even having a trail with a pedestrian side and a two way bicycle side would help.
    There are a million examples of things that could be done. European rivers would be one place to look. Attempts to make the river look more natural, but without destroying the rowing venue. Scuba diving? Lol.

This. Even just public graffiti walls would be cool. It is such a cheap thing to create. Walls and trashcans basically.

15. Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

would be nice for more NON-Horse related venues along the river. You know, something more big city, urban kinds of things that most other large cities have that we don't.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Eh, equestrian centers are nice. LA has a surprisingly decent equestrian center at Griffith park.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    would be nice for more NON-Horse related venues along the river. You know, something more big city, urban kinds of things that most other large cities have that we don't.
    Like waterside bars and restaurants? It could never be like Town Lake in Austin but there's something about spending the day by water.

It’s not a chain ... just two restaurants in different states that have the same name. The OKC Cattlemen’s is locally owned and operated.

As a really frequent river trail user, I support the general concept of more improvements but I do want to give the city government credit for what's been done recently. Pete correctly pointed out the recently completed improvements at Perez Park and the ongoing ones at Wiley Post Park. If you don't spend much time around Wiley Post Park, that area was extremely popular before the construction and will be again once it's completed. The area just off the Wheeler District is really popular, too. Additionally, EMBARK has added a new river boat landing on the south bank just east of Agnew. The city has also almost completely resurfaced the trails on both banks of the river over the last two years, and last year planted a large number of trees on the north bank. (Unfortunately the October 2020 ice storm did a number on those, but it's an A for effort, and hopefully some or even most of those trees will recover eventually.)

All that said, I do think that, from the perspective of city government, the existence of the Riversport area sort of obviates the need to worry about the river, which is unfortunate. We have this really cool, almost unique facility there, but a lot of the rest of the area gets little or no love. It's not directly related but I think this is a strong point in favor of the argument former Councilman Shadid and others made regarding MAPS in general - too much funding for capital projects and not enough focus on ongoing maintenance and smaller, less flashy projects. The Oklahoma River parks are a lot of land area, but really, a month between each mowing cycle? And speaking of the ice storm, there're tons of dead branches in all the trees along and directly over the trail system. 10 months later, it's clear those are only going to come down thanks to gravity. We can also throw garbage collection into this category. It's shameful how people treat our waterways and our parks, but you have to meet them halfway! You can go literally miles down the trail system and encounter very few or even zero trash receptacles. Lighting is another area begging for improvements. Benches? They're there between Robinson and Walker on the north bank and between SE 15 and Walker on the south bank but outside of that, good luck. So while I don't see the need for additional big tourist attractions along the riverbank, I do completely agree with the need for smaller day-to-day improvements to fully unlock the potential of one of our biggest natural resources.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

Does it go as far as Meridian and is there a water taxi stop there?

21. Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

The trail will take you all the way to Lake Hefner if you don't mind getting on a few streets.

They recently did a lot of work on a pier just to the east of Meridian by the new hotels.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

I was meaning the water taxi but the trail is good to know.

I doubt it will ever happen but a big pierside restaurant/bar would be a great people attractor.

There is a landing just east of Meridian off of 15th St.

https://okrivercruises.com/landings/

24. Default Re: Oklahoma River improvements

Thanks!

Thread Information