Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiley Post Park

OK River Wiley Post Park

They have started renovation; that is Capitol Hill at the top center:

Default Re: Wiley Post Park

Are there any renderings show what the final product is supposed to look like?

It is a great news.
    This park had an unfinished feel to it. Except the East part with the playground and other amenities, you were dealing with an empty and underused space.

These are some conceptual renderings and plans; I know the north side of the river isn't currently budgeted and neither is the pedestrian bridge.

I'm not sure how much of the Wiley Post part is being done at this point.

Blog Entries

Capitol Hill Re: Wiley Post Park

Good news on Wiley Post Park, again thanks Pete.

Wiley Post & Wheeler Parks.

Wiley Post has a very nice layout, when they closed off the south exit/entrance crossing the tracks it allowed police to enter the park and get a grip on the illegal drug activity that went on for years b/c you had to enter and exit the park from Robinson Avenue.

Wheeler Park looks nice, especially with the Ferris Wheel in the backdrop.

Occasionally, when I visit Coney Island in Capitol Hill, often visit Wiley Post & Wheeler Parks on my way home. Nice to see the family gatherings and activities taking place like basketball, dog walking and bike riding throughout. The city's jogging track on both sides of the Oklahoma River is accessible from Wiley Post Park.

Much improved area around Wheeler Park, Little Flower Catholic Church, Latino Development Agency and what's left of historic Hud Cap Alley. Now is the best time to complete construction on Lower Scissortail Park.

Pete, are you sure the north side of the river isn't funded? I remember there being some talk about money that had been set aside to finish the core to shore idea.

I believe councilman Cooper asked if the funds could be moved from the north shore budget to the lower sissortail budget in order to get more of the amenities orginally planned for the lower park.

The answer he revived was, that the money could not be used because it was a separate funding source than the MAPS funds. I could be wrong.

Also I agree the bridge isn't currently funded.

^

Yes, I'm sure because that information was included in the presentation that included the renderings and plans I posted. It's all just conceptual at this point.

What a suprise. I must have missed this. What a change from days of playing softball there.

Would be neat to see that bridge finished someday, along with the abandoned railroad bridge between Exchange and Western.

The bridge between Exchange and Western is scheduled for winter of 2022. It was funded by Better Streets Safer City funds.

Quote Originally Posted by twade View Post
    The bridge between Exchange and Western is scheduled for winter of 2022. It was funded by Better Streets Safer City funds.
    Nice! Love to hear that, thanks for letting me know.

I really am not sure what they've been working on here but it seems to be taking a long time. You can see from Pete's aerial from early March that they've come in and dug up all the asphalt. That's a good thing, especially the giant parking lot in the middle - that thing was bad news. But it's been slow going otherwise.

To be honest, if the north shore improvements aren't funded that would kind of be okay? Especially if you have a more "programmed" area on the south bank via Wiley Post (plus the Scissortail Parks). Wiley Post Park has (or had, prior to its closure) a playground, basketball court, workout equipment, etc. And it got a ton of use. It will be even better if all they do is just plant grass where the asphalt used to be. The north bank of the river is a nice open lawn and I don't think there are too many parks in the area with that sort of space, especially along the OK River. And the segment between Walker and Robinson is the only spot far enough away from I-40 that you don't have to deal with nearly as much highway noise. So it's kind of a nice space, as is.

I'll take some new photos this weekend.

I know part of what they are doing is creating ingress/egress from Walker to the west; previously all the traffic was funneled from Robinson.

That's a good improvement. Turning out from the park onto Robinson could be pretty dangerous especially when the tractor-trailers were lined up waiting to get into the Cargill plant there by the railroad tracks. Bad visibility in those situations.

15. Default Re: Wiley Post Park

I didn't read up-thread but l see the need for a cool iconic pedestrian/fishing bridge over the river to tie it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I didn't read up-thread but l see the need for a cool iconic pedestrian/fishing bridge over the river to tie it all together.
    A pedestrian bridge is planned (and as I understand it, funded) for this area.

I haven't heard of a planned construction date yet.

Also, in reviewing the City's capital plan, it looks like an addition $5,000,000 is allocated for FY '23 (2022-2023).

This is in addition to the $3,600,000 allocated (and being spent) for the current improvements underway.

I can't find much on how the $5m will be spent, but I imagine that level of funding will allow the City to make headway on the Wiley Post master plan.

I hope they end up with a really good looking bridge to go over the river. Maybe it is a bit irrational, but it drives me crazy that our city's most iconic bridge is used to cross over a highway

Quote Originally Posted by 3nglnd View Post
    I hope they end up with a really good looking bridge to go over the river. Maybe it is a bit irrational, but it drives me crazy that our city's most iconic bridge is used to cross over a highway
    The city is currently soliciting proposals for the pedestrian bridge which will convert an old rail bridge near the Wheeler District.

I know at least two prominent architecture firms will be submitting ideas, so we should get something creative. I'm sure the same process will be used for any future pedestrian bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The city is currently soliciting proposals for the pedestrian bridge which will convert an old rail bridge near the Wheeler District.

I know at least two prominent architecture firms will be submitting ideas, so we should get something creative. I'm sure the same process will be used for any future pedestrian bridges.
    I can't wait for that to potentially happen and It sure would be something if there ended up being several uniquely artistic bridges crossing over throughout

^

Just remember, the city sets a budget and it's usually pretty constraining.

Only so much you can do; it's why the Skydance Bridge was radically changed from the original concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Just remember, the city sets a budget and it's usually pretty constraining.

Only so much you can do; it's why the Skydance Bridge was radically changed from the original concept.
    yes. but I could imagine a scenario where some could be set up relatively bland, but as blank canvases for local artist to put their own touches to - like we've seen in so many other areas in the core more recently. Individually they might not end up being terribly iconic, but together it'd be quite nice

Was always under the impression that ODOT was the reason that the Skydance design was changed?

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Was always under the impression that ODOT was the reason that the Skydance design was changed?
    that was for sure part of the issue ..... ODOT required the bridge to have heavier load capacity .. (but that was not the only reason )

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/t...nt?oid=2956474

Thread Information