Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: March 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Weather March 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Spring is here. Highs around 60 pretty much every day for the next couple weeks. Rain chances move in Thursday evening and into early Friday. This will lead to a beautiful weekend with sunshine and LIGHT WINDS!

Severe weather looks possible around Tuesday/Wednesday this coming week.

2. Default Re: March 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Yeah. And as we were clearing snow & ice two weeks ago I ordered three pallets of granular and 550 gallons of liquid ice melter because I can't risk being without it and needing it. Now I'm thinking we'll be storing it all for a while.

Default Re: March 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Gorgeous today.

So incredibly glad to be past the snow and freezing temps. Bring on Spring!

4. Default Re: March 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Gorgeous today.

So incredibly glad to be past the snow and freezing temps. Bring on Spring!
    AMEN Pete!!

5. Default Re: March 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Yes! Psychological Winter began with the ice storm, which was before Halloween (!), so this winter has felt extra long--not to mention the extremes we all went through.

Showers and embedded thunderstorms are moving into the Metro currently. Current Mesonet observations don't exactly leave me thrilled about how much precipitation is actually hitting the ground right now, but we should see less virga and more actual rain as the low pressure system moves across the state later tonight. Areas to the north of I-40 will be favored to see up to half an inch of rain. This system has a large dry slot so there could be a rather sharp cutoff to the south end of the rain shield.

Wraparound showers will come to an end sometime tomorrow afternoon, but overall it will be cloudy and rather cool, especially with a strong NE wind. Once the system moves out, the weekend will be gorgeous with sunny skies, highs in the lower 60's, and light southerly winds. The southerly flow will pick up early next week, drawing in Gulf moisture before the next system moves through in the Wednesday/Thursday time period. Severe weather is possible with this system but still a lot of uncertainty.

The "pivot point" has set up roughly along a Piedmont-Edmond-Choctaw line; areas to the north of this line are getting thunderstorms, while areas to the south will likely stay dry slotted and should receive little to no precipitation from this system. The storm complex is non-severe but is spitting out some very nice lightning.

Mike Morgan already hyping up Spring Break and the second half of March with:

1. Waves of Cold Air
    2. Storms Lined up
    3. Several Snowstorms Psbl
    4. Wet and Plenty Chilly

https://twitter.com/MikeMorganKFOR/status/1367956416305238022?s=20

Really?

9. Default Re: March 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post

1. Waves of Cold Air
    2. Storms Lined up
    4. Wet and Plenty Chilly

Really?
    As much of a non fan of his that I am GFS model runs are showing colder systems around the 14th to 18th and the possibility of snow. Not much snow but snow.

Mother nature: "No spring break for you!"

Looks like we have some early spring thunder storms Friday, but than it turns colder. Not artic blast cold like it did a couple of weeks ago.

Did anyone notice what SPC did this morning with 15% risk of Severe Thunderstorms both Friday and Saturday for Oklahoma. Even our NWS has a slight risk map posted for Friday. As far as Morgan goes. Really? I saw that then he still had highs in the 40s. Snowstorm highs in the 40s come on man.

Yes, Friday and Saturday look interesting. Even toss Thursday evening in there with lower probability with iffy development.

High fire danger basically all week ahead of the storm.

Looks like this could be a massive winter storm for Colorado. A healthy drink for OK.

Looks like there may be many damaged evergreens throughout the state following the long deep freeze last month.

^

I lost several shrubs that had been in place for 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I lost several shrubs that had been in place for 5-10 years.
    I am big into plants and I’ve been asking nurseries about this. I’ve been told to wait until mid April(ish) and some might shed the leaves and produce new foliage.

16. Default Re: March 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I am big into plants and I’ve been asking nurseries about this. I’ve been told to wait until mid April(ish) and some might shed the leaves and produce new foliage.
    I hope so. At work we have about 200 feet of boxwood bushes that are 4 feet tall and 4 feet wide. I've never seen the leaves anything but green. But now they're dark brown and falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I hope so. At work we have about 200 feet of boxwood bushes that are 4 feet tall and 4 feet wide. I've never seen the leaves anything but green. But now they're dark brown and falling off.
    Yeah and the Nandinas. I also recently planted a Brazilian Monkey Puzzle Tree, or also known as a Chilean Pine, which is supposed to be a very hardy tree. But I had it in a pot for 10+ years and it got so big I thought I might as well plant it. It did good all winter through several cold snaps but it is completely brown now and I fear the worst. They are pretty rare in Oklahoma and I’ve been talking to TLC to see if they can keep their eyes open when placing orders for one.

I lost several expensive and old plants in a greenhouse with two heaters which wasn’t enough and I was pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah and the Nandinas. I also recently planted a Brazilian Monkey Puzzle Tree, or also known as a Chilean Pine, which is supposed to be a very hardy tree. But I had it in a pot for 10+ years and it got so big I thought I might as well plant it. It did good all winter through several cold snaps but it is completely brown now and I fear the worst. They are pretty rare in Oklahoma and I’ve been talking to TLC to see if they can keep their eyes open when placing orders for one.

I lost several expensive and old plants in a greenhouse with two heaters which wasn’t enough and I was pissed.
    I think both of our taller Nandina died this time, one has a very small amount of green, but the other is pretty much completely brown, we'll see. The 4 little ground-hugging Nandina did fine, though, I think. Holly hedges that have been here forever (way longer than the 4 years we've been in the house, doubt they're as old as the house, but might well be (70 years old) have brown on the outside, but aren't completely brown, so they will hopefully come back. Our only other trees are a Blue Cedar Atlas that has its tips a bit brown, and some junipers that didn't have any damage.

^^^^ I’m going to wait until mid April to see what happens. I’ll be surprised if they come back but presently surprised at that.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post

1. Waves of Cold Air
    2. Storms Lined up
    4. Wet and Plenty Chilly

Really?
    Someone said Aaron Tuttle likes to hype the weather, too. That is very true. No, Stillwater is not going to get 7.1" of rain: https://aarontuttleweather.com/2021/...l-A9o4_pMg1Jm4

I hope the magnolia trees made it. They did from the below zero cold snap in 2011, but that unusual cold snap only lasted a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I hope the magnolia trees made it. They did from the below zero cold snap in 2011, but it only lasted a couple of days.
    A *huge* magnolia (over 2 stories high) across the street from us made it through the ice storm and it appears to have suffered no damage from the polar vortex.

23. Default Re: March 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Hopefully so. Sometimes ice insulates trees from even colder air..... like when they desperately ice down orange trees.

Saturday Risk looks like it's shifting west. Western Oklahoma Texas Panhandle. Also missing a few ingredients to get thing really going but strong Low strong jet it still could be a pretty rowdy day.

I would guess that 80% of my front yard landscape is gone. My three big Deodar don't look like they are going to make it. I will wait till April, fingers crossed. Add landscapers to the list of tree guys and plumbers who are having a really good year.

Thread Information