Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Amtrak News/Updates

Default Re: Amtrak News/Updates

Quote Originally Posted by AMinEdmond View Post
    What exactly does the "overhaul" mean? I've always wished for the day that there would be a bullet train from OKC to DFW, heck at this point I would take just a non-stop service from OKC to DFW. Also, OKC to Tulsa would be nice,
    The problem with OKC to Tulsa is that it would be a spur. The condition of the existing track between OKC and Tulsa is poor and it’s even worse as you go northeast toward St Louis. That would make the most sense as a connection (or north to Kansas City) but would be a major capital investment.

Blog Entries

I wonder if the state showed any gall here (they're supposed to be legally required to pursue this per what the passenger rail OK twitter keeps saying), if the feds would then be willing to help. Such as if the state fully implemented the OKC-Tulsa line at it's cost, would the feds be willing to extend to STL, especially if MO contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I wonder if the state showed any gall here (they're supposed to be legally required to pursue this per what the passenger rail OK twitter keeps saying), if the feds would then be willing to help. Such as if the state fully implemented the OKC-Tulsa line at it's cost, would the feds be willing to extend to STL, especially if MO contributed.
    Possibly but there is little political will in Tulsa or in MO for this to happen, at least with current leadership. No mayors or more importantly congressmen to take up this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Possibly but there is little political will in Tulsa or in MO for this to happen, at least with current leadership. No mayors or more importantly congressmen to take up this issue.
    Not sure about Tulsa to NE but Tulsa definitely should be connected to OKC via train. The last proposal was an absolute joke that absolutely no one in their right mind would take unless they were rail geeks wanting to check it out or someone just doing it for leisure. I-44 is in the beginning stages of being widened to 6 lanes and modernized for its entire stretch between OKC-Tulsa. At the very least, the turnpike authority should be working with leaders or vice versa really to preserve ROW and design it to be easy to place a double tracked train line. I don't think a train averaging 110-120MPH is much to ask for. Run it 4-5 times a day each way with limited weekend service and connect to each downtown.

5. Default Re: Amtrak News/Updates

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The problem with OKC to Tulsa is that it would be a spur. The condition of the existing track between OKC and Tulsa is poor and it’s even worse as you go northeast toward St Louis. That would make the most sense as a connection (or north to Kansas City) but would be a major capital investment.
    I thought all the trillions in the infrastructure bill were for "major capital investments?"

Here’s the official Amtrak Connect Us website: https://www.amtrakconnectsus.com/?ut...5sTxrWooOcgLdM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Not sure about Tulsa to NE but Tulsa definitely should be connected to OKC via train. The last proposal was an absolute joke that absolutely no one in their right mind would take unless they were rail geeks wanting to check it out or someone just doing it for leisure. I-44 is in the beginning stages of being widened to 6 lanes and modernized for its entire stretch between OKC-Tulsa. At the very least, the turnpike authority should be working with leaders or vice versa really to preserve ROW and design it to be easy to place a double tracked train line. I don't think a train averaging 110-120MPH is much to ask for. Run it 4-5 times a day each way with limited weekend service and connect to each downtown.
    What do the projections show the ridership to be for this kind of service?

Blog Entries

I would go to Tulsa on the regular if there were a train, and in particular to A LOT more of the shows there that are borderline of interest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I would go to Tulsa on the regular if there were a train, and in particular to A LOT more of the shows there that are borderline of interest to me.
    Yes, this, absolutely. Can't afford to stay at a hotel there each time I'd go to a show, and no fun spending 90 minutes driving up there, going to a show after having dealt with that, then totally killing any kind of after-show buzz, enjoyment, high, whatever by driving 90 minutes home.

I just wish the OKC-Fort Worth train would run twice a day instead of once. Arriving at 9:30pm to OKC is not ideal.

11. Default Re: Amtrak News/Updates

Almost as if it's been set up to fail.

12. Default Re: Amtrak News/Updates

It's because air is what all cities push for travel between them. Rail is not looked on with a positive light in the US. It works inside the larger cities that have the density for it, but we're just not seeing the ask for it. It's the convenience factor that's at play here.

Just like flying to DFW, if i take my own car, i can get there in the same amount of time it would have taken me to go through security/wait/fly/disembark, walk to the uber/etc. But now i get to come and go on my schedule instead the airline and have my own car to get around town. The same would be true for a Tulsa train. And it would have to be Uber because public transit in OKC/Tulsa is a joke. The only way this would work is for longer haul trips and only if it's cheaper and not a great deal slower than air. And that friends, is the slow death that rail has been experiencing. Without the helper money, the Heartland flyer, with it's stupid schedule, would already be dead. And what do we actually get out of it? It's nostalgia more than practicality.

Now, you want to build a bullet train, that might work. Go between LA and SF, and you've got yourself a competitor to air. Dallas to Houston, Chicago to Indy, etc. But what's the bullet train need from OKC? It's not anything within a 6 hour drive. So where does it go?

13. Default Re: Amtrak News/Updates

Im not sure I agree that public transit in OKC is a joke. I was just there recently and saw PLENTY of busses in the city not just downtown (nothing amazing but still - there was plenty of transit more than ever and people were using it).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/PassRailOK/statu...39800965648387

Oklahoma House Approves HCR1003 for
    @Amtrak
    #HeartlandFlyer extension, OKC-Newton, Kansas and second frequency Ft. Worth-OKC-Wichita-Kansas City. On to senate next. Resolutions voices support for extension with no funding commitment.

That action is as worthless as House leadership. Consistent though.

Amtrak is finally bringing back some of the long distance traditional dining services. I am excited for this as I plan an LAUS to Santa Fe Station(OKC) trip soon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...g-car-service/

17. Default Re: Amtrak News/Updates

i think if Amtrak had a purpose dining experience it could be a revenue win and game changer for the service. Imagine during the current 4-hour train ride from FT Worth to OKC that you could also dine fine dining? Wasn;t there a dinner train a few years ago in Oklahoma?

I'd imagine as we break out of the pandemic, dining options will explode as people now far more appreciate the experience. And if the dining experience is good then it will market itself. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Amtrak will spend 7 billion on new train cars. I wonder if the Heartland Flyer will see any.

https://thehill.com/policy/transport...rs-locomotives

Blog Entries

with triple the frequency you'd think we'd have to, unless we get everyone else's old cars instead...

Amtrak will spend 7 billion on new train cars. I wonder if the Heartland Flyer will see any.

https://thehill.com/policy/transport...rs-locomotives
    This trainset order is for single-level cars, so I don't believe the Heartland Flyer or its extension would use these. We'd do well with more two-level trainsets since we don't have any height issues.

I prefer two level trains.

I prefer two level trains.
    So do I. The Superliners are really showing their age - the oldest cars of the type are about 42 years old at this point - but I still find the ride and view to be superior to any of the single-level equipment I've experienced (Amfleet and Viewliner). The only thing I'm not a fan of on the Superliners are the bathrooms... they desperately need an overhaul to modern standards, *especially* on the Superliner coaches. While Amtrak is sending all of their Superliners through a much-needed refresh program to clean and make repairs, as well as replace seats and carpet, they really need to consider a third Superliner order - especially with the aggressive expansion plans that Amtrak wants to make happen.

If I had to guess, the most likely changes we'll see to the Heartland Flyer equipment within the next few years will probably be replacement of the notoriously unreliable GE Genesis locomotives with the new Siemens Charger ALC-42 locomotives that are starting to be delivered. I wouldn't be surprised if Amtrak uses this opportunity to de-power a bunch of the GE's and turn them into Non-Powered Control Units (NPCUs), allowing them to finally retire the last handful of F40PH-based NPCUs still roaming around the system. Amtrak's order of ALC-42s are all expected to be delivered by the end of 2024, so if they do this I think it'll likely happen within the next year or three.

Looks like a Dallas to Atlanta route along I-20 could be a reality soon: https://www.ktbs.com/news/i-20-passe...93ed3c613.html

I would use that a lot to get to Mississippi. Amtrak might not be interested in using it for various reasons, notably the Mississippi River potentially flooding it, but it would be awesome to see the Old Depot in downtown Vicksburg used as a passenger station again. A man can dream, I suppose.

^^^ I think a lot of passenger rail will make a comeback in the future so it probably isn’t a long stretch. Long distance rail in California particularly between LA and SF is a joke right now.

Thread Information