Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broadvue (formerly 9000 Broadway) Apartments

Far North Broadvue (formerly 9000 Broadway) Apartments

Mixed-use project to get 300 lakefront apartments

The Half, a 93-acre mixed-use development at Britton and Broadway Extension, is set to add 323 apartments that will front a small lake.

The project is on the site of land formerly owned by the Oklahoma Publishing Company. American Fidelity acquired the property as part of a $75 million purchase in 2012 which also included the 12-story corporate tower, parking garage and a massive printing facility that has since been demolished.

American Fidelity has partnered with developer Randy Hogan to create The Half, which includes the recently opened Chicken N Pickle as well as Flix Brewhouse. Currently under construction is a new headquarters for Dolese Brothers and OneCore hospital.

Also planned are additional restaurants and office buildings.

The large apartment complex will be located directly north of Chicken N Pickel and front the exsiting water.

Named 9000 Broadway, plans call for a 39,000 square foot parking garage with a total of 512 spaces plus another 77 surface spaces.

Amenities will include a large pool area with an island shaped like the state of Oklahoma, two dog parks and several other communal outdoor spaces facing the lake.

Design is by ADG Architecture & Planning.

Default Re: 9000 Broadway Apartments

BTW, it looks like Gary Brooks/Cornerstone is the developer.

The advantage to building these apartments next to entertainment and office all comes down to whether there is good urbanist interconnectivity between the developments, but from what I can tell, it appears you have to walk through parking lots to get from one place to the next. Kind of ruins any appeal psychologically, no? How are other reading this lay out?

It's just been disappointing to see developments like Chisholm Creek just totally blow this. It's really not that hard to push parking out to the edges of developments, create walkable, interesting spaces, and it makes the entire development far more valuable and appealing, especially for residents. Or, you can just put giant, ugly parking lots in the middle of everything.

With this apt complex the half would be over half complete.

And I’m sure the other restaurant pads and office will fill in quickly

It's my understanding that being walkable isnt always the main goal with some of these developments. The goal is to make the place vibrant. Always having bodies in motion not to create dead space. Walking from A to B isn't as important. Most of the time people congregating at A, never make it to B anyways. They just want the illusion that the place is vibrant. The percentage of people that will live and work there is minimal. But it would be nice to be walkable for the few that do.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    It's my understanding that being walkable isnt always the main goal with some of these developments. The goal is to make the place vibrant. Always having bodies in motion not to create dead space. Walking from A to B isn't as important. Most of the time people congregating at A, never make it to B anyways. They just want the illusion that the place is vibrant. The percentage of people that will live and work there is minimal. But it would be nice to be walkable for the few that do.
    Parking lots are the definition of dead space. No such thing as a vibrant parking lot.

Textbook generic apartment complex. The Oklahoma-shaped pool island is kind of cool, though.

Underwhelming apartment design, but the pool is nice

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Parking lots are the definition of dead space. No such thing as a vibrant parking lot.
    Parking lots are not necessarily the definition of dead space. To a degree it's the Walmart concept. Parking lot in the middle with people moving though the parking lot on foot and in cars. Walmart and various stores surround the parking lot. People see movement and think it's a safe vibrant area. With apartments, office and entertainment, they can brand it as live, work and play. Every live, work, and play development isn't branded as walkable. They brand it as vibrant. I'm sure more infill will come later and their final vision will connect things more.

Parking lots are not necessarily the definition of dead space. To a degree it's the Walmart concept. Parking lot in the middle with people moving though the parking lot on foot and in cars. Walmart and various stores surround the parking lot. People see movement and think it's a safe vibrant area. With apartments, office and entertainment, they can brand it as live, work and play. Every live, work, and play development isn't branded as walkable. They brand it as vibrant. I'm sure more infill will come later and their final vision will connect things more.
    We must have a different definitions of what vibrant means. I’ve never heard of a Walmart parking lot being described as vibrant.

People naturally congregate in safe vibrant areas. People will meander and want to spend extended time there . It draws people in makes people linger. People want to live in vibrant areas. This is not something a parking lot is designed to do. I don’t know anyone who would want to live next to a Walmart parking lot. I would say Walmart parking lots are busy, but not vibrant or inviting.

I’d say a parking lots can absolutely be vibrant and are the lifeline of many businesses. This is even more true in Los Angeles where many parking lots have people hanging out and it adds good atmosphere.

Vibrant means full of life. People are moving, talking, interacting. I also said the surrounding stores within the complex (shoe stores, hair salons, restaurants ect.). A vibrant development is a place where people are moving about to some degree from basically sun up to sun down. Vibrant doesn't have to be Beale Street or Rodeo dr. It's people moving thru or within a specific destination at a certain rate. The parking lot is the neccessary evil within a complex. If you have a greater movement to stagnation rate within the parking lot, moving from one destination to another; like it or not it's vibrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’d say a parking lots can absolutely be vibrant and are the lifeline of many businesses. This is even more true in Los Angeles where many parking lots have people hanging out and it adds good atmosphere.
    What’s the most vibrant parking lot in okc? Would be interested to check that out.

Vibrant means full of life. People are moving, talking, interacting. I also said the surrounding stores within the complex (shoe stores, hair salons, restaurants ect.). A vibrant development is a place where people are moving about to some degree from basically sun up to sun down. Vibrant doesn't have to be Beale Street or Rodeo dr. It's people moving thru or within a specific destination at a certain rate. The parking lot is the neccessary evil within a complex. If you have a greater movement to stagnation rate within the parking lot, moving from one destination to another; like it or not it's vibrant.
    Yes, actually vibrant does have to be Beale St. or Rodeo Drive or Bourbon St. or along the Seine in Paris or ...... Vibrant means *much* more than a place that has people walking and driving through it. Parking lots are not vibrant, they're busy. They don't have any real communal space where people gather, very little interaction between the people in the parking lot or with anybody entering/leaving businesses. People in Wal-mart parking lots, even if they have strip malls around them, park, go into the store, come out, and leave. Very occasionally they might go to another store in the same lot, but odds are even that they'll just drive to it and get out, go in, come out and drive off without interacting with anybody else in the parking lot.

Vibrant does mean full of life. Parking lots aren’t full of life, they are full of cars.

Vibrant does mean full of life. Parking lots aren’t full of life, they are full of cars.
    You have never been to a Jimmy Buffett tailgate. Talk about a vibrant parking lot!

What’s the most vibrant parking lot in okc? Would be interested to check that out.
    I’ve heard the Wally World lot gets pretty crazy after 8

Huh? I spend a lot of time in Los Angeles and the parking lots there—like everywhere—are dead spaces.

A primary aim of walkability is vibrancy. And walkability does not have to conflict with having parking. It's just where you put the parking. Again, at Chilsolm Creek, they often didn't even imaging that people might walk from one place to another. They assumed the parking lots were dead spaces and people would get in a car if they wanted to go from Republic (RIP) to Top Golf. It's totally unnecessary and unimaginative. Same thing here. Walkability would have encouraged vibrancy.

Apartment ammenities just keep getting better and better. Between the awesome pool, fire pits, dog park, and the surrounding stuff, I'd be extremely tempted to live here!

I concur that the parking lot landscape in the area leaves something to be desired, but perhaps someday they will get filled in. It's such a rapidly developing area, and there's a lot of employers in the area. Hopefully it continues to add density.

I’ve heard the Wally World lot gets pretty crazy after 8
    And I fully expect this development to have the same vibrancy as a Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Huh? I spend a lot of time in Los Angeles and the parking lots there—like everywhere—are dead spaces.
    I live in Hollywood but I disagree with you.

You are missing out on life.

I can’t believe “vibrant parking lots” is a real discussion

Thread Information