Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Totally agree. They HYPE machine at it's best. The producers want to squeeze every bit of drama out of these storms for ratings, ad money, etc. Lane just yesterday was advertising highs in the 80s next week. Seriously? It's a shame really, because when Lane was new he did not do this click-baiting drama ever, but has slowly come around to doing it. Not sure if it was because everyone else was doing it and maybe the ownership pressed him. . . But nonetheless, they just forecast right off of models anymore and never use their gut. They right out name the models in the newscasts now. It's really incredible. The only person I ever believe is my orange-tinted muscular friend, Aaron Tuttle. I do enjoy watching his undramatized forecasts.

Tuttle is just as bad as the others nowadays and does it for clicks. Do you follow him on Facebook? He called for a foot of snow as well. Also showed maps of 30" in OKC a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    [/B]
    Tuttle is just as bad as the others nowadays and does it for clicks. Do you follow him on Facebook? He called for a foot of snow as well. Also showed maps of 30" in OKC a few days ago.
    I can't stand tuttle anymore. I used to watch him, but he is so self-absorbed and is always peddling his stupid crap. The fact that his face is on his app every time you open it makes me want to delete it altogether. However, it's one of the better weather apps out there unfortunately....

Do you drip your faucets if you have a slab foundation?

This is Smitty Park in Northwest OKC:

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Do you drip your faucets if you have a slab foundation?
    Yes, its very possible your pipes that stick out of the ground along exterior walls will freeze. I had that happen once, it was when I came back in town, I discovered my pipes frozen after days of no water usage.

My dad had a pipe freeze yesterday, his house is only 2 to 3 years old, insulation should have been better.

Rolling blackouts are beginning, and may last through the next few days

https://twitter.com/KOCODillon/statu...86051609198592

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post

This is unbe-freaking-leavable....

8. Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Thanks, Obama!

9. Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Stay warm folks. Hopefully the blackouts are an hour at a time.

Hopefully the power situation here doesn't become as dire as it is in Austin right now.

18z HRRR run shows a low of -16 tonight which would be one degree shy of tying the all-time record.

12. Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

ONG just said they might have to shut off gas. This is now dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    ONG just said they might have to shut off gas. This is now dangerous.
    No gas, no electricity, wonder how many will die?

Jeeeez, we've gone from 6bn cuft/day to 4bn cuft/day in natural gas production. That's not great.

On the plus side, the SPP temporarily lifted the need for rolling blackouts, so hopefully they stay on top of this.

15. Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Withdrawn Level 3 from SPP. More blackouts avoided for now

Hope all these entities (ONG, suppliers, OG&E, etc.) learn from this and plan for the future because this kind of weather *will* happen again in the future, and it won't be a once-in-100-year event, I'd bet we see this again sometime in the next decade.

Jeeeez, we've gone from 6bn cuft/day to 4bn cuft/day in natural gas production. That's not great.

On the plus side, the SPP temporarily lifted the need for rolling blackouts, so hopefully they stay on top of this.
    Maybe the wind turbines are starting to come back online with the afternoon sun today? Now we have this natural gas shortage to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Hope all these entities (ONG, suppliers, OG&E, etc.) learn from this and plan for the future because this kind of weather *will* happen again in the future, and it won't be a once-in-100-year event, I'd bet we see this again sometime in the next decade.
    Heaters on the equipment would have avoided a lot of this. We're short 2 cuft/day of natural gas because of frozen infrastructure.

OG&E tried to buy a coal power plant years ago (10 or 15), but they were shot down because it wasn't clean enough. Only allowed them to buy/build nat gas plants.

What we need is more snow covered solar panels and frozen windmills.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Withdrawn Level 3 from SPP. More blackouts avoided for now

I am talking with a few other people and they are really confused as to why the SPP declared an emergency, started to set plans for "service interruptions" and then the O.C.C calls a meeting to potentially increase Natural Gas out of the state, and then they withdraw the declaration.

The lack of communication is insane.

Absolutely. Climate change makes these sort of polar plunges all the more likely due to changes in the jetstream: https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone...ing-out-arctic

Also, wind power in TX is actually producing more power than ERCOT anticipated (from https://twitter.com/JasonWhitely/sta...52142199570435) :

CONTEXT ON WIND:

"Wind is putting out more than we count on for the winter season," said Dan Woodfin, from @ERCOT_ISO, the power grid operator in Texas.

Uncertain if iced turbines would be "deiced."

Other turbines producing more than they normally do, he added.

Absolutely. Climate change makes these sort of polar plunges all the more likely due to changes in the jetstream: https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone...ing-out-arctic
    lol i'm sure they have a firm grasp on global climate and what that means for the next 100 years

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/s...553772553?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    lol i'm sure they have a firm grasp on global climate and what that means for the next 100 years

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/s...553772553?s=20
    Weather isn't the same as climate, but nice try!

Quote Originally Posted by djohn View Post
    OG&E tried to buy a coal power plant years ago (10 or 15), but they were shot down because it wasn't clean enough. Only allowed them to buy/build nat gas plants.

What we need is more snow covered solar panels and frozen windmills.
    There should be remediation plans for that (heaters - thanks, jn1780), or manual ways to sweep the snow off the panels. These companies have failed if they didn't ever plan for something like this, especially with climate change making everything extreme.

ONG said on the OKC news conference that just ended (youtube has it) it could be days or weeks to restore gas if they lose their supply. They have to turn off every place that has gas, get their supply back, do leak detection and turn the gas back on at every place.

SPP update in 15 minutes, per Dillon Richards

Thread Information