Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

We have kept a pot of water on the stove on low simmer with some cinnamon sticks to keep the humidity up inside to help our heater out a little. I guess electric and gas are having problems with demand and suffering from low pressure in some places?

All our faucets are dripping. We don’t have any pipes on external walls, but we don’t want to end up with a freeze between the meter and the house so we are trying to keep a steady flow through that pipe. I also have a bathtub with water for toilet flushing purposes just in case ��

2. Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    We have kept a pot of water on the stove on low simmer with some cinnamon sticks to keep the humidity up inside to help our heater out a little. I guess electric and gas are having problems with demand and suffering from low pressure in some places?

All our faucets are dripping. We don’t have any pipes on external walls, but we don’t want to end up with a freeze between the meter and the house so we are trying to keep a steady flow through that pipe. I also have a bathtub with water for toilet flushing purposes just in case ��
    I've got three pipes on outside walls. Two are outside faucets. I have lamps with old- fashioned incandescent bulbs right by where the plumbing is. The third is the refrigerator ice maker connection and I think the frige makes enough heat to keep that wall warm.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    As far as wall to wall coverage, well its much better then infomercials. Not much on Sunday afternoons.
    THIS...reminds me, sadly, that football season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Measure as many spots as you can take an average but it's still a guess game to a point. They use snowboards at Airport but when it's this light and fluffy it's still a roll of the dice. Unless your in a someone wooded area with little wind it's going to be hard to measure. I want to say 5-6 over by the outlet mall for me. I have seen anywhere from 5-8 in the metro.
    They use “SNOWBOARDS?” Righteous powder for that dude! lol

The story obviously at this point is the cold. The sheer area that this covers is causing major supply chain disruptions for natural gas. Heard the spot price was up to $600 from $2.50. Until supply catches up or demand drops, we’re going to be looking at some pretty bad bills coming our way.

The low gas pressure has also caused several people to have issues with their heaters in our neighborhood already. Several busted pipes as well. We need to thaw out in a hurry.

Yeah it’s not as though we’ve never had single digit temps from time to time but I can’t think of too many years where we’ve had this many consecutive days with well below freezing temps.

I managed to switch my natural gas bill to average monthly billing earlier this month, so I hope that will help absorb some of the damage.

4" of snow on my patio at midnight tonight, so well short of the 10-15" the TV weather people were trying to scare me with. Other patios may differ. Hopefully, the 2nd round for Tuesday won't be any worse.

Stillwater as of midnight has 0 to 2 degrees and falling with forecast low down to -5. Temps for lows here haven't been below zero since Feb. 2011. If this is about climate change, then I miss the good 'ol days of climate change. Back 10 years ago on Feb 10 the low got clear down to 10 below in Stillwater, 5 below for Oklahoma City. Yet, just two days later the high had jacked up to the low 60s. And that wasn't enough. On Feb. 17 the temp further jacked up to the low 80s. For now, the temp hasn't been above freezing here since Sunday Feb. 7th. This freaky long cold spell has been quite bewildering for February. I would have bet it would have happened in January, not February.

And I thought things like this only happen when it's unusually hot during the summer:

Stillwater and other power providers ask for power conservation, warn of possible outages

I'm seeing similar patterns in the models this morning that I observed right before our last storm...yet the meteorologists never acknowledged them.

The latest runs of the GFS have been reducing snow totals and pushing the storm further south and east again. David Payne was showing up to 12 inches of snow for tomorrow's storm. I'm calling bust, yet again, on those amounts.

Not really sure how you can consider this a bust. Yeah the totals were lower but come on.

Next storm looks to be taking nearly identical path to this last one. The low is expected to track NE TX into AR. This will be the best shot for largest accumulations. This looks like a major storm for AR especially.

Next storm looks to be taking nearly identical path to this last one. The low is expected to track NE TX into AR. This will be the best shot for largest accumulations. This looks like a major storm for AR especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Outhunder View Post
    Not really sure how you can consider this a bust. Yeah the totals were lower but come on.
    Yeah, a true bust would have been no snow. Maybe I'm being too hard on them...

It was definitely much less than the "class 3 killstorm" they were predicting. (anybody get that reference, btw?)

The pipes on my hot water heater froze last night. A hair dryer on the pipes helped thaw them temporarily but they’ve since frozen up again. Yeah I’m pretty ready for it to warm up now...

SMH. Morgan was clapping back on Twitter to people. He was claiming that the 10-15 inches he had was for both storms not just Sunday Storm. Not how it came across to me but whatever. Channel 5 had maps with 15-20 inch totals. SMH. 9 was 6-12 they were a tad better even though just this morning they were saying South Okc received 11 inches. Not sure I have seen anything higher than 8 in the metro but yeah ok whatever. SMH. They Hype train needs to slow down some. Even TV meteorologist from other markets were questioning how OKC was showing total snow fall maps 4 days before the storm. It's crazy to give totals more than 2 days out. SMH

On the topic of Tuesday storm I'm worried that many are going to now be caught off guard. This one is going to start around 2 pm when more people are going to be on the roads and traveling home from work around 5. Snow we have now is not going to go anywhere or melt off the roads. Many might think meh last storm we didn't get as much so this is going to be no big deal. Have a bad feeling that Tuesday night is the night we are going to see people strained on the highways

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    It was definitely much less than the "class 3 killstorm" they were predicting. (anybody get that reference, btw?)
    Upgraded from Winter Wonderland.

Albinos virtually invisible..

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Upgraded from Winter Wonderland.

Albinos virtually invisible..
    YES!! lol

20. Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Round 1 down. What do we have for round two experts?

My power and water stayed on. Crossing fingers this continues.

SMH. Morgan was clapping back on Twitter to people. He was claiming that the 10-15 inches he had was for both storms not just Sunday Storm. Not how it came across to me but whatever. Channel 5 had maps with 15-20 inch totals. SMH. 9 was 6-12 they were a tad better even though just this morning they were saying South Okc received 11 inches. Not sure I have seen anything higher than 8 in the metro but yeah ok whatever. SMH. They Hype train needs to slow down some. Even TV meteorologist from other markets were questioning how OKC was showing total snow fall maps 4 days before the storm. It's crazy to give totals more than 2 days out. SMH
    Totally agree. They HYPE machine at it's best. The producers want to squeeze every bit of drama out of these storms for ratings, ad money, etc. Lane just yesterday was advertising highs in the 80s next week. Seriously? It's a shame really, because when Lane was new he did not do this click-baiting drama ever, but has slowly come around to doing it. Not sure if it was because everyone else was doing it and maybe the ownership pressed him. . . But nonetheless, they just forecast right off of models anymore and never use their gut. They right out name the models in the newscasts now. It's really incredible. The only person I ever believe is my orange-tinted muscular friend, Aaron Tuttle. I do enjoy watching his undramatized forecasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I've got three pipes on outside walls. Two are outside faucets. I have lamps with old- fashioned incandescent bulbs right by where the plumbing is. The third is the refrigerator ice maker connection and I think the frige makes enough heat to keep that wall warm.
    My mom's washer pipes froze, they're on an outside north wall, house built in the 70s (thought pipes in outside walls was against code, but maybe just in the north and Canada, none of ours are in outside walls, house built in 1950), but none of our pipes have frozen so far. Got a remote thermometer and stuck it in our crawlspace, lowest it's been is 38 this morning (we apparently have no insulation around our ducts, so that's both a good (warmer floors, pipes won't freeze until it gets colder than this) and a bad (lots of waste heat, but at least it goes to a good cause ) thing. Heater was set at 70-ish and kept running for 30 minutes on, 3 mins off, etc., but set it at 66 last night, still running a lot, just hope all the bearings, capacitors, etc. hold up for another few days.

Its possible we may see rolling blackouts like in Texas.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/en...320c14627.html

I'm no expert, but I'm not excited about what I'm seeing on the NAM for this next system. Looks very ragged with a lot of dry air hanging around. Wonder if they moisture will be cut off?

Even if it did snow 1 plus foot of snow, 1 foot of dry snow is a lot better than 1 foot of wet snow. I'm not going to worry too much about the hype train, its bad enough with the extreme cold. I'll take a win wherever we can get it.

Thread Information