Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    News is a business and need to sell a story that people want to watch.
    Ha, beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    How did we get to a point where we need wall to wall coverage for snow??

Also, I feel like like these modern Mets rely almost exclusively on models. In my field, models are used as approximations. We look at various model runs and evaluate, not only the trends within an iteration, but also the trends between iterations. Based on that, we make interpretations guided by those models but also based on our experiences in similar situations. I get the feeling like these guys get so hung up on the “moment/one model run that shows massive snow totals” that they don’t step back and just interpret what they’re seeing. At the very least, that is my perception.
    There's some veracity to the reliance on models, but I think in meteorology especially models is pretty much *all* you have to try and predict the future (other than the Farmer's Almanac). A "good" met would couch their analysis by showing multiple runs from multiple models and educating viewers about the range of possible outcomes. Bad mets find the most extreme run from the most extreme model and then hype it up for clicks/eyeballs. I'll let readers decide which ones we have here in OKC.

Also, weather models are getting pretty darned good in general, especially within the 72 hour window.

I was watching Aaron Tuttle's live broadcast Twitter and he estimated 12 inches for today. This would be about in the middle of most new channels. I have didn't watch yesterday evening for any updates for more precision.

I have lived in other parts of the country where it snows and have gotten bust forecasts, so it's not just particular to Oklahoma.

, it seems like we are getting pretty decent amounts but it As much as the wind is blowing this powder around , it seems like less. (?)

So far the area north of Enid is winning by miles in terms of snow. Short-range models comin around to the idea of maybe some additional wrap-around waves. But I wouldn’t hold my breath for a foot in OKC barring something crazy happening.

And yes, the wind and powder nature of the snow makes it very hard to visualize. I have a wind isolated area downtown and I see about 3 inches so far as of 1PM.

Reed Timmer driving live in the snow near Yukon. So far second round of snow not that heavy in Stillwater. Oops, just ended.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...f_t=live_video

As far as wall to wall coverage, well its much better then infomercials. Not much on Sunday afternoons.

Getting very difficult to see how this doesn't underperform.

Still a pretty darned good snowburst. If this wasn't hyped to the gills earlier this week it'd be pretty significant.

Quite a bit of snow here at my house in central okc.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    ... A "good" met would couch their analysis by showing multiple runs from multiple models and educating viewers about the range of possible outcomes. Bad mets find the most extreme run from the most extreme model and then hype it up for clicks/eyeballs. I'll let readers decide which ones we have here in OKC....
    Weather Channel does exactly what you say "good" mets do. Only time I *ever* watch local weather is if I'm at home and there are massive thunderstorms or tornadoes right in the metro and I only watch their radar with the sound off.

Downtown OKC snow is tapering off. Looks like around 5 inches.

14. Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Hard to tell. I have from almost zero in spots to about 2 feet depending on how the wind swirls around the house. In the middle of the front yard where it's pretty level there's about 6 inches.

I would love to know how the airport takes official measurements during storms like these with high winds and powdery snow.

Big pile-up at I-44 around Post Road.

Measure as many spots as you can take an average but it's still a guess game to a point. They use snowboards at Airport but when it's this light and fluffy it's still a roll of the dice. Unless your in a someone wooded area with little wind it's going to be hard to measure. I want to say 5-6 over by the outlet mall for me. I have seen anywhere from 5-8 in the metro.

18. Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

I'm assuming it has to do with the temps and wind but our house has never made as many popping/creaking sounds as it has in the last 24 hours.

I would guess 7.5 to 8.5 in northeast Edmond

I'm curious how things will look in the morning. Our backyard has very little snow, but the front of our house was pretty deep. If snow keeps on blowing and drifting we might have some messy spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I'm assuming it has to do with the temps and wind but our house has never made as many popping/creaking sounds as it has in the last 24 hours.
    Tomorrow night is going to be wild for this. Realistic chance we get down to -12 which would would tie for our second coldest temperature ever.

So be sure to start letting your faucets drip and open cabinet doors under sinks to prevent frozen water pipes, if you haven't already started doing it. This long lived intense cold is highly unusual. Probably pipes better drip all the time until the cold finally lets up.

Insane temperatures throughout the Midwest. Ely Minnesota, near Canada, had a reported temperature reading of-50°F.

Cannot even believe.

Our water pressure has gotten lower as the day has worn on and I’ve seen lots of people on NextDoor say the same thing. Keeping my sinks at more of a steady drizzle than a drip, keeping the cabinet doors open, and hoping for the best.

Pipes are frozen at Draper resulting in low water pressure, or none at all on the southside.

I have a flight on Thursday morning from OKC to DFW, I wonder if I'm going to have any issues.

Thread Information