Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Varied winter weather predictions for Oklahoma show 'it's a complicated profession,' meteorologist says.
    https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/va...home-top-story

Winter Storm Warning for every single county in OK. I think this is the first time in history that has happened. Insanely good model agreement this morning. Hot spot looks like it will be where ever this initial band of heavy snow pops up this evening. Somewhere along I-44 corridor looks likely.

So we should be thinking about a 15:1 ratio while looking at these?

Texas is getting more snow than us

High definition models really honing in on I-44.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    So we should be thinking about a 15:1 ratio while looking at these?
    It will be 20:1 or more

Average of every model run I looked at this morning for OKC is 7.8", which seems like a good over/under for the first storm.

For the second storm, there are some wild differences between the GFS (potentially historic snowfall totals) and the Euro (a relatively minor, advisory-criteria snowfall), with the Canadian falling somewhere in the middle and showing a snowfall that would be roughly on par with tomorrow's totals. Should hopefully start to see some more agreement here over the next 24-48 hours.

I was going going to post the same thing as above. 8-10 tomorrow and Wednesday which does look stronger a bit further south as of now but still could be a big snow

Driving around today I saw a bunch of places where pipes had clearly burst and flooded the street.

We're going to see lots more of that in the next few days.

NAM continuing to go bullish on heavy snow in C OK.

David Payne on Facebook Live showing people a model with 31.5 inches of snow between Sunday-Wednesday in OKC. Lol.

For anyone wanting to drive around and see something neat before the storm, both the Oklahoma River and Lake Overholser have frozen over. Has to be the first time that's happened in decades. Lake Hefner is still holding strong but there's a ton of steam coming off of the surface. Lots of neat hoar frost on the trees near the shores of Hefner and Overholser as well.

GFS and GEM both falling in line with I-44 corridor. Perhaps favoring The southern edge of that. Models are really coming around to the idea of enhanced snow development with wrap-around that gets dragged directly through C OK.

Here is a snapshot of the storm Tuesday night into Wednesday. Showing heavy snow across all of OK and a major icestorm across the Dallas Ft Worth metros.

We will likely see Winter Storm Watches instantly taking place of the current Winter Storm Warnings by Monday morning. There may even be overlapping watch/warnings which I think may also be a first for this area.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    For anyone wanting to drive around and see something neat before the storm, both the Oklahoma River and Lake Overholser have frozen over. Has to be the first time that's happened in decades. Lake Hefner is still holding strong but there's a ton of steam coming off of the surface. Lots of neat hoar frost on the trees near the shores of Hefner and Overholser as well.

I lived at 36/Eagle Lane corner for years. Advertising this will surely attract the idiots to attempt walking/skating on it �� Happened more than once when I lived there. I also remember all the trees there before the massive ice storm around 2000-2001 destroyed them all.

Ugh, our snow removal infrastructure is gonna get overwhelmed I fear. Gonna be a long week.

Keep up the good updates by the way Anonymous, appreciate your posting of the model runs.

17. Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

What are the chances that we see a legendary Snownado during this storm?

18. Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfTheVillage View Post
    None. There isn't the warm air vs cold air collision that would be required for that.

Blizzardquake is always an option.

OKC meteorologist and NWS employee, Aaron Tuttle sees fit to go by what pivotal weather put up. It places Oklahoma City and Stillwater in the bullseye for the most snow. For the upcoming mid week storm, he sees a foot of snow coming. His Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/ATsWeather/...7643211921742/

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Boomer Lake in Stillwater about froze over on Saturday The couple hundred or so geese there are dealing with it the best they can, but in different ways. A good many stay out of the lake. Some swim in the ice water. Others perplexingly enough sat on the ice motionless with their necks tucked in as pictured in the background of this picture. I guess from being hardy as Canadian geese, they'll make it, since they weren't still there shortly before dark.

22. Default Re: February 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfTheVillage View Post
    It's Oklahoma. Maybe a perchnado.

Thank goodness the last week of February doesn't look bitter cold:

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Keep up the good updates by the way Anonymous, appreciate your posting of the model runs.
    Surely they'll be away from the state, it's a common occurrence for weather events

Incredible how far south into Texas below zero temps for lows are slated to go on the 16th. Part of northern Mexico will have snow.

Thread Information