There is a lot of discussion about how SUV's have almost completely supplanted cars in sales over the last couple of decades.

The shift has been so profound that Ford will soon only make one car: the Mustang.

But lost in that focus is the fact that the three highest-selling vehicles in the U.S. are pickups: Dodge Ram, Chevy Silverado and Ford F150. Also in the top 10 are the GMC Sierra and the Toyota Tacoma.

Why???

I fully understand the practicality for people who work with their hands. But clearly, both by the sheer number of sales and just all the lawyers and accountants I personally know who drive pickups, the majority of these very large trucks are sold to people who do not buy them for anything work-related.

And these things are BIG. The mid-sized and compact trucks have almost vanished.

I get SUV's, even if you don't need to haul a lot of people and/or stuff on a regular basis. I have one myself and have found all types of situations when it has been invaluable (mainly taking my dogs with me, transporting my bike in a safe place, camping and runs to Home Depot).

But even though I do a ton of home improvement and other projects, I've never needed a truck. In fact, I own one through the Gazette. And in nearly 3 years I've never bothered to use it. I've hauled all types of things in my modest mid-sized SUV's which has been more than sufficient.

And for really huge home-improvement things, you can have an unlimited amount delivered for $50. I did this recently where I bought a sliding door, a huge amount of gravel and a picnic table. They dropped it in my garage the next day.

Is it just an image thing?

They drive/ride badly, get terrible gas mileage and don't hold much inside.

I'm not judging, just trying to understand the appeal.