Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Explain why white collar people buy pickups

Default Re: Explain why white collar people buy pickups

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this and the previously mentioned safety when you leave of not backing into an area you can't completely see.
    I guess it depends on the driver's skill. I've watched people pull up, back in... opps, not right.. pull up, back in... opps, still not right... pull up, back in.. ok, that works.

Yah ive seen that even on small cars or very small cars.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    At oil related sites it’s standard procedure for faster and safer exodus during an event requiring emergency evacuation. Some of that could be spillover habit. I try to find pull through parking so I don’t have to back at all. Unless I’m planning on loading up the back.
    Combat parking

Also, I've read that pulling through spaces creates the most accidents in parking lots, nationally. I don't know where I read it but it was on the internet so it's probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    Combat parking

Also, I've read that pulling through spaces creates the most accidents in parking lots, nationally. I don't know where I read it but it was on the internet so it's probably true.
    Could that have been when people drive through the parking spaces while cutting through, and not parking?

If the question was: "Why Do White People Buy Pickup (trucks)" I think the only rational response would be because doing so is a form of Conspicuous Consumption that helps them to feel even more empowered than they already think they are. The trend started back in the 1950's and has only been encouraged by Artificial Intelligence (Beta Version). JUST KIDDING.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Off topic again but the back in discussion made me think of this. My car of the last year & a half has a back up camera. My wife's Liberty doesn't. I drove hers the other day to get tire fixed and I couldn't believe how every time I backed up I first looked at the radio instead of out of the window.
    I've had a backup camera since 2007 and I'm ruined. It's rare, but when I drive a car without one it's dangerous. I throw it in reverse, look at the radio and start backing up. Then my mind kind of locks up as I'm wondering why I can't see behind me. Then I slam on the brakes hopefully before I hit something.

My wife's SUV not only has the backup camera, but it has cameras all around the vehicle and it pastes them together to give you a 360 top view of the vehicle and everything around it. It's next level cool. But, it makes it even worse. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    I've had a backup camera since 2007 and I'm ruined. It's rare, but when I drive a car without one it's dangerous. I throw it in reverse, look at the radio and start backing up. Then my mind kind of locks up as I'm wondering why I can't see behind me. Then I slam on the brakes hopefully before I hit something.

My wife's SUV not only has the backup camera, but it has cameras all around the vehicle and it pastes them together to give you a 360 top view of the vehicle and everything around it. It's next level cool. But, it makes it even worse. Lol
    My CRV is the first vehicle we've had with a backup camera and it didn't take long to become overly dependent on it. Soon after I started driving it, I was backing out of a parking spot at the outlet mall, at night, and didn't realize the extent to which lights can interfere with the view thru the camera and I clipped the bumper of the van parked behind me.

I now find myself looking thru the camera, then looking in all directions as I've done for decades, and then my focus locks onto the camera until I remind myself that I need to keep more situational awareness than what is visible thru the camera.

^^^ I've wondered for years if all these nice new gadgets such as lane warnings, automatic braking, cameras, etc. will make people overly dependent on them and people that are used to them will have accidents when they drive vehicles without them and they actually have to *drive* the car. Or will people that have them continue to buy only vehicles that have the gadgets, or will every single new vehicle have them soon (but there will still be millions of older cars that don't)?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    ^^^ I've wondered for years if all these nice new gadgets such as lane warnings, automatic braking, cameras, etc. will make people overly dependent on them and people that are used to them will have accidents when they drive vehicles without them and they actually have to *drive* the car. Or will people that have them continue to buy only vehicles that have the gadgets, or will every single new vehicle have them soon (but there will still be millions of older cars that don't)?
    I certainly think there's a danger of folks becoming too dependent on technology, and folks shouldn't just rely on a camera, but really, I'm not sure if this is much different than other technological advancements that have happened or other changes in safety equipment. I learned how to drive without a passenger side rear view mirror, which is now standard on all cars, but it wasn't for the first 15 years I was driving. I know when I go back to a car that doesn't have one, it throws me, and I have to adjust to looking more over my right shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I certainly think there's a danger of folks becoming too dependent on technology, and folks shouldn't just rely on a camera, but really, I'm not sure if this is much different than other technological advancements that have happened or other changes in safety equipment. I learned how to drive without a passenger side rear view mirror, which is now standard on all cars, but it wasn't for the first 15 years I was driving. I know when I go back to a car that doesn't have one, it throws me, and I have to adjust to looking more over my right shoulder.
    I believe it's much different - a passenger side mirror compared to:

Lane change warnings
    Lane drift warnings
    Automatic braking
    Rear-view (and other) cameras
    Parking assist
    Blind spot warnings
    Forward collision warnings
    Cross-traffic when backing out warnings
    Etc.?

Adjusting to a car without a passenger side mirror is probably way easier than adjusting to a car without any of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post

I have a back up camera but i almost never use/look at it ....

however on the other hand the "beep beep beep" rear proximity sensor .... if it stops working i will back into something that day ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I believe it's much different - a passenger side mirror compared to:

Lane change warnings
    Lane drift warnings
    Automatic braking
    Rear-view (and other) cameras
    Parking assist
    Blind spot warnings
    Forward collision warnings
    Cross-traffic when backing out warnings
    Etc.?

Adjusting to a car without a passenger side mirror is probably way easier than adjusting to a car without any of the above.
    I don't recall ever hearing that these safety features make drivers or driving any worse. Many of them add to the repair cost and result in more total losses, but the reduction in injuries and death more than offset the cost.

I drive compact hatchbacks. Aside from fuel economy and cost, I can u-turn and park anywhere with ease.

My wife has a Lexus GX460 that’s the opposite. Also, I find uncomfortable to both drive and ride in due to the stiff suspension and high center of gravity.

The killer for me though is general maneuverability. Yesterday I had to drive the Lexus in downtown Edmond and had to stop twice because The pickups parked on Broadway are too long for the spaces and the Lexus too large to squeeze past without driving into the left lane.

My Honda CRV with all wheel drive did fine for a trip in the snow to the gas station for generator fuel. I drove around the sedan that was stuck in the intersection with spinning wheels. It reminded me I don’t want to be without something capable in Oklahoma weather, and then this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    My Honda CRV with all wheel drive did fine for a trip in the snow to the gas station for generator fuel. I drove around the sedan that was stuck in the intersection with spinning wheels. It reminded me I don’t want to be without something capable in Oklahoma weather, and then this thread.
    My 4x4 Tahoe is great in this weather.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    My 4x4 Tahoe is great in this weather.
    So my big black Mercedes-Benz coupe. 4Matic keeps the all wheel drive action hooked up and I push a button on the dash to raise up the suspension a couple inches for ground clearance

I just went out and about in my Lexus GS350. While it is low to the ground, the all wheel drive combined with the Snow function handled even this snow and conditions like a dream. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I got around in my toyota camry okay.

Thread Information