Widgets Magazine

Thread: Desert Oaks Club

Default Desert Oaks Club

We remember - from long ago - a place called Desert Oaks (Country?) Club in Midwest City. East of Douglas between 15th and Reno...Might have been 800 S. St. Paul...or maybe not...We went to some parties there with other Tinker folks. I hope there's someone out there with a better memory than mine. Help!

Default Re: Desert Oaks Club

i've never been too familiar with mwc, so i've never heard of the place. found this ad from 1963... looks like it was 900 s. st. paul. the last mention that i saw of the place was in 2002 but not articles about closing or selling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Default Re: Desert Oaks Club

It was still open (although a shell of its former self) as late as something like 2007 or so. My cousin had a reception there for his wedding. It was looking pretty dang rough though from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
    We remember - from long ago - a place called Desert Oaks (Country?) Club in Midwest City. East of Douglas between 15th and Reno...Might have been 800 S. St. Paul...or maybe not...We went to some parties there with other Tinker folks. I hope there's someone out there with a better memory than mine. Help!
    We lived out of state from 2005 to 2013, so we wouldn't have seen any news about it's closing. Looking at the satellite screen on Google Maps, you can see the remains - concrete foundation, etc - at the end of South St. Paul. I drove over there yesterday. At the end of the road there are three rock walls, with a circle drive around the middle one. Must have been the entry.

Quote Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
    We lived out of state from 2005 to 2013, so we wouldn't have seen any news about it's closing. Looking at the satellite screen on Google Maps, you can see the remains - concrete foundation, etc - at the end of South St. Paul. I drove over there yesterday. At the end of the road there are three rock walls, with a circle drive around the middle one. Must have been the entry.
    About thirty years ago, my employer held our Christmas party there. Even back then, it was showing its age. It was still fairly nice then, but there was a lot of smoking and signs of unrepaired building age.

Thread Information