Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

1. Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

well get there in a year or so not just 2030, OKC may already be ahead of Milwaukee. I agree about the hotel being shortsized, should definitely build another 400-650 tower, don't need to be Omni and could be across the street or anchor the south cc expansion. .. I liked how Denver had a collection of brand new CC hotels next to their convention center, would love to see Hyatt, Marriott, and Hilton full-service next to Omni in the Ford Lands.

On diversification - yes I totally agree with you. OKC needs to get with not just diversifying which the city is doing but diversifying in a variety of industries and not just aerospace and health services/research. ... I've always thought OKC should really go after more back offices. Costco is a great example but there's many more. IMO OKC should open a California and NY office that courts companies in those states to relocate or open office(s) in OKC. It would be a good use of incentives that actually incentivize such an effort. Most folks agree once they come to OKC that it is viable and that will only continue to get better as more and more inmigration happens. Let;s not only THINK Big but let's ACT (develop) Big. Then we can start being in the picture with regard to NBA All Star, appropriately geared for NBA Finals, NCAA and Big 12, medium to large conventions, and so on.

I personally think the OKC airport should fully build out the full E expansion, they could just add the jetways as necessary but the building would be done. ... Also add an onsite midrise hotel or two and demo/redo the existing one. Ridiculous that OKC has a captive audience there (in the FAA training center - worldwide students) yet no accomodations, not to mention for travelers.

One other thing OKC should really champion is education. And I'm not just talking about more $$ but better spent $, and we could do that very easily by consolidating districts or having single county executive/administration for rural districts.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Just want to see our city get more council members who are commented to more impact growth venues like a 1,000 room Omni Hotel--add 400 more rooms on site; a large expandable multipurpose stadium (MAPS 4 - $37 million committed), will need $500 million + for a future 75,000 seat stadium to bid for events like the NCAA Final Four Basketball and other events that will fill existing hotel rooms.

OKC could duplicate what cities like New Orleans, Nashville, Indianapolis & Kansas City are doing as their MSA population eclipse 1.2 million - 2.2 million in preparation for the next level. Bring more high paying high tech jobs to the Metro--does our city have a corporate & housing growth expansion plan...

We have 100 acres deeded to the Chickasaw Tribe near the FAM museum where a large resort style hotel possibly 500+ room range could be built to support year round events for a future stadium and more events at The Peake and the new State Fair Coliseum.

If we could allow the Chickasaw Tribe to build just one large hotel on the 100 acres near the FAM museum it will draw more out-of-state visitors with more attraction built in the FAM area.

The Key to support our future growth is in place: MAPS 4's - 16 projects that expire April 2028.

Are we ready to advance to the next level: 1.5 million to 1.6 million (Challenge Milwaukee) or more projected MSA in 2030.

I understand your desire for this growth that is mostly centered around the city core. I live in ward 3. There is one thing we care about and that is roads. I understand there is a MAPS for roads or whatever it is called and other bond programs. However, it is not enough out here. SW 29th street is a disaster from Macarther to Mustang Road. It is not supposed to be resurfaced until 2025/2026. Morgan road was four lanes from I-40 south to SW 29th St. The city planned to widen Morgan to four lanes between SW 29th and SW 44th to then feed into the turnpike entrance. However, the city ran out of money during the project, so Morgan between SW 29th and SW 44th is only four lanes half way. It goes back to a two lanes road before the stop sign at SW 44th going south, which is before the turnpike entrance. A few years ago on County Line road between SW 44th and SW 29th instead of repaving the road, the city put down chip seal. It is now turning into put hole junction. County Line road between SW 59th and Hwy 152 will probably damage a few car wheels due to the size of pot holes. I literally have to drive on the other side of the road or go five miles per hour over certain sections or else I will damage my car wheels. Czech Hall Road is also a disaster from I-40 south to the City of Mustang (the City of Mustang mostly has nice roads...you can tell the difference when going from Mustand to OKC).

I can go on and on and I know other areas of the city are like this too. The point is the city has neglected its first responsibility to provide basic road infrastructure. Before any more fancy core projects, the city needs to fix the roads. I know MAPS 4 funds can be used for whatever the city wants because that is how the measure was passed so not logrolling. The city council needs to allocate the MAPS 4 money to roads. Road should come first. My guess is the city will want to pass another MAPS for roads and takes another 1% in sales tax.

Roads are priority 1, 2, and 3 for Ward 3.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    The city council needs to allocate the MAPS 4 money to roads.
    Not just no, but hell no. MAPS 4 was approved by voters by nearly 72% of the people who cared to go out and vote in that election and it was for the set of promised projects that was stated up front, changing it now would destroy the public's trust in the MAPS brand. We already have electorally allocated money going for street work from the 2017 bond issue.

I understand your desire for this growth that is mostly centered around the city core. I live in ward 3. There is one thing we care about and that is roads. I understand there is a MAPS for roads or whatever it is called and other bond programs. However, it is not enough out here. SW 29th street is a disaster from Macarther to Mustang Road. It is not supposed to be resurfaced until 2025/2026. Morgan road was four lanes from I-40 south to SW 29th St. The city planned to widen Morgan to four lanes between SW 29th and SW 44th to then feed into the turnpike entrance. However, the city ran out of money during the project, so Morgan between SW 29th and SW 44th is only four lanes half way. It goes back to a two lanes road before the stop sign at SW 44th going south, which is before the turnpike entrance. A few years ago on County Line road between SW 44th and SW 29th instead of repaving the road, the city put down chip seal. It is now turning into put hole junction. County Line road between SW 59th and Hwy 152 will probably damage a few car wheels due to the size of pot holes. I literally have to drive on the other side of the road or go five miles per hour over certain sections or else I will damage my car wheels. Czech Hall Road is also a disaster from I-40 south to the City of Mustang (the City of Mustang mostly has nice roads...you can tell the difference when going from Mustand to OKC).

I can go on and on and I know other areas of the city are like this too. The point is the city has neglected its first responsibility to provide basic road infrastructure. Before any more fancy core projects, the city needs to fix the roads. I know MAPS 4 funds can be used for whatever the city wants because that is how the measure was passed so not logrolling. The city council needs to allocate the MAPS 4 money to roads. Road should come first. My guess is the city will want to pass another MAPS for roads and takes another 1% in sales tax.

I hope someone on here knows for sure and will comment, but I recall reading that a portion of Ward 3 is in Canadian County, rather than Oklahoma County. This makes me wonder if some of the specific roads you are referring to are the responsibility of the county, rather than Oklahoma City?

Just want to see our city get more council members who are commented to more impact growth venues like a 1,000 room Omni Hotel--add 400 more rooms on site; a large expandable multipurpose stadium (MAPS 4 - $37 million committed), will need $500 million + for a future 75,000 seat stadium to bid for events like the NCAA Final Four Basketball and other events that will fill existing hotel rooms.

OKC could duplicate what cities like New Orleans, Nashville, Indianapolis & Kansas City are doing as their MSA population eclipse 1.2 million - 2.2 million in preparation for the next level. Bring more high paying high tech jobs to the Metro--does our city have a corporate & housing growth expansion plan...

We have 100 acres deeded to the Chickasaw Tribe near the FAM museum where a large resort style hotel possibly 500+ room range could be built to support year round events for a future stadium and more events at The Peake and the new State Fair Coliseum.

If we could allow the Chickasaw Tribe to build just one large hotel on the 100 acres near the FAM museum it will draw more out-of-state visitors with more attraction built in the FAM area.

The Key to support our future growth is in place: MAPS 4's - 16 projects that expire April 2028.

Are we ready to advance to the next level: 1.5 million to 1.6 million (Challenge Milwaukee) or more projected MSA in 2030.

workin on this https://youtu.be/uH9KrfmMKgc

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I hope someone on here knows for sure and will comment, but I recall reading that a portion of Ward 3 is in Canadian County, rather than Oklahoma County. This makes me wonder if some of the specific roads you are referring to are the responsibility of the county, rather than Oklahoma City?
    About half of the ward is in Canadian County. I live around this area I described and is in Canadian County. I have only ever seen Oklahoma CIty road trucks. At the time of Morgan Road not being completed with four lanes to SW 44th St, Larry Macatee provided the information that the City ran out of money to complete the project with four lanes. The Ward 3 City Council Representative has never referred to Canadian County with road issues in Canadia County.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    I think that's the second time you've posted that link. You're acting like there is some grand unknown conspiracy between the powers that be and that something needs be uncovered. I'm here to tell you that nothing really needs to be uncovered, it's being done out in the open and with massive public support.

Now bring on some MAPS V. Some rich folks are going to get more rich and we're all going to have better amenities at the city core open to all. MAPS IV dominated because they brought police and fire into the fold with new dedicated sources of funding.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Not just no, but hell no. MAPS 4 was approved by voters by nearly 72% of the people who cared to go out and vote in that election and it was for the set of promised projects that was stated up front, changing it now would destroy the public's trust in the MAPS brand. We already have electorally allocated money going for street work from the 2017 bond issue.
    I know many in Ward 3's opinion is this Ward sees very little in the way of MAPS and all of the funds are allocated to the core. This is while the city is negligent on its first responsibility to provide adequate infrastructure. The city should not be spending $978M from the general fund while it cannot properly maintain its roads. Remember MAPS 4 was a tax to the general fund and not to specific projects.

I know many in Ward 3's opinion is this Ward sees very little in the way of MAPS and all of the funds are allocated to the core. This is while the city is negligent on its first responsibility to provide adequate infrastructure. The city should not be spending $978M from the general fund while it cannot properly maintain its roads. Remember MAPS 4 was a tax to the general fund and not to specific projects.
    Obviously that is never going to happen and it shouldn't happen. The voters told the city what they wanted their tax dollars spent on and the city will oblige like they have done with every other maps. If ward 3 is so concerned about their roads, make sure you and everyone in ward 3 go out and vote yes on the next proposed sales tax increase that addresses road maintenance. You cant have nice things unless you are wiling to pay for them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Obviously that is never going to happen and it shouldn't happen. The voters told the city what they wanted their tax dollars spent on and the city will oblige like they have done with every other maps. If ward 3 is so concerned about their roads, make sure you and everyone in ward 3 go out and vote yes on the next proposed sales tax increase that addresses road maintenance. You cant have nice things unless you are wiling to pay for them.
    We do this every few years with the GO bond votes. It's always an ambitious collection of projects.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Some areas of the city no matter how much money the city has see very little of it. To the point, basic services are in a permanent state of disrepair.

12. Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Some areas of the city no matter how much money the city has see very little of it. To the point, basic services are in a permanent state of disrepair.
    Agreed. All future MAPS funds should go towards streets, schools and shumard oak trees.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfTheVillage View Post
    Agreed. All future MAPS funds should go towards streets, schools and shumard oak trees.
    As long its not Bradford Pear trees!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfTheVillage View Post
    As long as its not Bradford Pear trees!

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

MAPS I (Arena, Ballpark, Library, Bricktown Canal & Civic Center Music Hall) did allow our city a jump start. Don't get me wrong, every city will never be perfect to the point that ALL of its basic needs are addressed. Amazed that Oklahoma City continued to grow (pre MAPS) in the 60s, 70s & 80s especially when our city's core did not look that appealing; let alone attractive.

We've got to chip away at getting the basic needs addressed as we grow and connect with neighboring cities like Norman (126,952) OU, Edmond (96,376) UCO, Moore (63,261), Midwest City/Del City (57,849)/(21,666) Tinker AFB/Rose State, Yukon (29,078) & Mustang (24,773). The neighboring cities that eclipse 100,000 population are your MSA game changers.

Mustangs' growth will be greatly enhanced by road access infrastructure.

There has to be a balance with roads, beautification and retaining homegrown talent. You embrace that balance when you are able to attract new businesses like Heartland Payments. Mayor Mick Cornett advocated for not having all of your businesses tied to one sector like the Energy sector because when things temporarily go south--it impacts the whole city.

There are many things our city needs to address. Sure we could do away with MAPS and do away with our dreams; slowly attract a small impact business here or there--finding balance is crucial. When OKC attracts an Omni Hotel for example; Omni wanted help with investment & infrastructure. We have to find a balance with basic services, dealing with crumbling infrastructure and investment in the future.

MAPS 4 places and emphasis on all city parks, $140 million improvements outside the core. OKC recognizes that parks need to be improved to entice beautification and healthy living and Wellness Centers to deal with the health of an aging population.

Mustang (24,773).

Mustangs' growth will be greatly enhanced by road access infrastructure.
    it is doubtful that mustang can even double in size .. the entire city is 12 square miles 75% +/- of which is already built out ..

17. Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

annex/grow from OKC then.

Blog Entries

Post Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    it is doubtful that mustang can even double in size .. the entire city is 12 square miles 75% +/- of which is already built out ..
    The road access infrastructure may not be a high priority according the the stats you presented; however, it still needs to be addressed. My question, who is responsible for road access to Mustang. City, County or State...

19. Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

probably depends on the road. local road - OKC (if in city limit) or county (if not), state road or highway - state. my guess

I live in Ward 3 and nearly all the roads around my home have been resurfaced in the last year. We got new sidewalks on arterial streets. I see constant road construction / replacement. I don't understand your comment that the city is "neglecting" its role.

If you have more than a passing interest in factual data you can easily research the plans to resurface roads as a part of the Safer City initiative. Keep in mind, there are other initiatives paying for the largest road resurfacing plan in city history.

Thread Information