Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

Default OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

I have not seen any information on OKC Talk on the upcoming City Council Elections. I live in Ward 3, so posting information for this election. I am posting in this area and not the political area because this is a non-partisan race and do not want to have a toxic discussion. Also, my post is more informational. In my opinion, local elections are just or even more important than national elections. I am always disappointed with how low the vote is for local elections. Local elections can affect your life much greater than national elections.

The election is on February 9th. If a candidate does not get a majority (50%) of the vote, there will be a runoff of the highest two vote-getters. The runoff will be on April 6th. You will vote in the same poll location as the general election.

This is a link for information on the candidates and other election information.

https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/3681/18

The candidates are listed as the same order as the website.
    Allen Swanda
    Jessica Martinez-Brooks
    Barbara Young
    Trey Bishop
    Tim Long
    Kelli Payne

The NEOKC Chamber, WesTen District, and Windsor District had a candidate forum and can be viewed at the following Youtube link. Four of the candidates participated, Allen Swanda, Jessica Martinez-Brooks, Trey Bishop, and Kelli Payne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=m7D4PDzQHu0

Nondoc has a good summary of the candidates and their websites (if the candidate has one).

https://nondoc.com/2020/12/10/16-can...cil-elections/

Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

I also live in Ward 3.

Jessica Martinez-Brooks is the only candidate for which I received a visit. Impressed with her resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    I also live in Ward 3.

Jessica Martinez-Brooks is the only candidate for which I received a visit. Impressed with her resume.
    She seems very highly regarded by many people I know, as well as the mayor.

4. Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

where in the city is Ward 3?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    where in the city is Ward 3?
    Pretty much everything south of I-40 and west of I-44, with the addition of north of I-40 just SE of Bethany.

Wards 1 and 4 also have competitive races.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	636903954860800000.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	16696

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    She seems very highly regarded by many people I know, as well as the mayor.
    In 2018, the Mayor appointed Jessica Martinez-Brooks to the OKC Water Utilities Trust. In 2017, her spouse, Senator Michael Brooks was elected the state senate for District 44. I am not saying it is nepotism or just a coincidence. I am showing the facts and dates. I don't actually know if they are related.

I received my fourth or fifth mailer for Barbara Young with Larry McAtee as her endorser. I don't know if McAtee endorsing is good or bad. Some in Ward 3 have soured to Larry due to how Ward 3 seems to be neglected within the city.

Blog Entries

Just a reminder: If you received a new Oklahoma voter ID check it carefully--your polling place probably has changed.

10. Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

really seems to be that either:

1) OKC really needs to de-annex
    a) most of the NE beyond Bryant or Sooner Rd
    b) all area E and S of about a mile from Lake Draper
    c) all area of the SW, W of Sara Rd
    d) the far north and NW at points

and/or

2) OKC needs to create urban and suburbanl Wards.

I'd vote for both, carve out the rural I highlighted in 1) it doesn't add ANY tax dollars at all (since there's no businesses there and city gets no property tax) and create real suburban wards and define the urban core with wards for it. That would not only ensure the city has resources at say 400-450 square miles (still PLENTY) but also would increase representation for actual city residents. You really dilute things the way we have it now with only two urban wards and even they cross neighborhoods/demographics so you don't really capture needs.

Say we made 4 urban wards, inside the loop then 4 suburban wards outside then perhaps 2 at-large carving off the rural that IS NOT even anything to do with Oklahoma City as a city!!. Oh, and increase the pay and make them full-time jobs while we're at it. THEN we can get real leadership vested in the residents of the city and not just retired people continuing the deep state of OKC. ...

Blog Entries

De-annexation?

Sure, it sounds so easy to want to break-away because a few vocal disgruntled residents push for de-annexation. It's not as simple as it sounds.

Some areas that wanted to de-annex from OKC found in studies they conducted the complexities of providing basic city services with safety (police & fire) to be more of a challenge than they were able to undertake.

Oklahoma City has invested in many of these small areas for years especially when they couldn't provide for themselves; continue to support, stick with the city that brought you this far. If you have concerns, go to the council and air those concerns through the proper channels. Wouldn't hold my breath on the city creating new wards.

I’m opposed to de-annexing any parts of the city. The more land the better. Just because the land is there doesn’t mean it has to be low density suburban usage. Farmland and other industries requiring large chunks of land are a thing too.

Campaign contribution reports can be found here. You can generally see where loyalties are with contributions.

https://www.okc.gov/departments/city...s/-folder-2012

14. Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    De-annexation?

Sure, it sounds so easy to want to break-away because a few vocal disgruntled residents push for de-annexation. It's not as simple as it sounds.

Some areas that wanted to de-annex from OKC found in studies they conducted the complexities of providing basic city services with safety (police & fire) to be more of a challenge than they were able to undertake.

Oklahoma City has invested in many of these small areas for years especially when they couldn't provide for themselves; continue to support, stick with the city that brought you this far. If you have concerns, go to the council and air those concerns through the proper channels. Wouldn't hold my breath on the city creating new wards.
    No reason why those rural investment OKC has made wouldn't go to the county. ...

15. Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’m opposed to de-annexing any parts of the city. The more land the better. Just because the land is there doesn’t mean it has to be low density suburban usage. Farmland and other industries requiring large chunks of land are a thing too.
    Farmland and other industries would still be there regardless if it were in the city limits or not. In fact, we likely could have more if the city limits were not so rural since they could adopt their own zoning without restriction or 'delays' from downtown. ...

De-annex is a win win; in my idea - OKC would still have between 400-450 square miles; about the size of LA or Houston with 1/4 the population. ...

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    I received my fourth or fifth mailer for Barbara Young with Larry McAtee as her endorser. I don't know if McAtee endorsing is good or bad. Some in Ward 3 have soured to Larry due to how Ward 3 seems to be neglected within the city.
    He used to provide some modicum of constituent service, but hasn't in years. He doesn't listen to anyone and is a homophobic anti-masker. Literally counting down the days until he's gone.

I will absolutely not support Young for any reason, least of all her endorsement from Larry. Talk about a mark against her.

Barring anything unforeseen, Jessica Martinez-Brooks will be getting my vote.

17. Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

Yesterday there was a candidate forum held by Rock the Native Vote. The two participants were Jessica Martinez-Brook and Allen Swanda. Recommend watching prior to 9 Feb.

The post does not call out Ward 3. The post is titled, "Join us Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2021, to hear from additional candidates running for Oklahoma City Council seats."

https://www.facebook.com/RNV2020

According to the state election results page, it looks like we'll have a runoff for Wards 1 and 3 but Todd Stone won a commanding 64.29% in his race.

Ward 1: runoff between Shay Varnell and Bradley Carter.
    Ward 3: runoff between Barbara Young and Jessica Martinez-Brooks.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    According to the state election results page, it looks like we'll have a runoff for Wards 1 and 3 but Todd Stone won a commanding 64.29% in his race.

Ward 1: runoff between Shay Varnell and Bradley Carter.
    Ward 3: runoff between Barbara Young and Jessica Martinez-Brooks.
    Other than maybe Martinez-Brooks, none of these candidates are particularly exciting. She will likely be far more engaged than McAtee was. She also might support an extension of the mask mandate (McAtee did not), but there's already enough votes for that without Wards 1 and 3. Both the folks in Ward 1 are using the typical "conservative values" messaging. So, I would say expect more of the same in terms of votes from Wards 1 and 3 for most council votes, including the hot button issue of policing.

election was funnier than a comic strip

will be interesting to see if Holt tones down his pretend progressive image seeing apparently it doesn't win elections here hahahahh

22. Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

btw, what were the results?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	16823

24. Default Re: OKC Ward 3 City Council Race Information

so what's the feeling of the results?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    so what's the feeling of the results?
    Just want to see our city get more council members who are commented to more impact growth venues like a 1,000 room Omni Hotel--add 400 more rooms on site; a large expandable multipurpose stadium (MAPS 4 - $37 million committed), will need $500 million + for a future 75,000 seat stadium to bid for events like the NCAA Final Four Basketball and other events that will fill existing hotel rooms.

OKC could duplicate what cities like New Orleans, Nashville, Indianapolis & Kansas City are doing as their MSA population eclipse 1.2 million - 2.2 million in preparation for the next level. Bring more high paying high tech jobs to the Metro--does our city have a corporate & housing growth expansion plan...

We have 100 acres deeded to the Chickasaw Tribe near the FAM museum where a large resort style hotel possibly 500+ room range could be built to support year round events for a future stadium and more events at The Peake and the new State Fair Coliseum.

If we could allow the Chickasaw Tribe to build just one large hotel on the 100 acres near the FAM museum it will draw more out-of-state visitors with more attraction built in the FAM area.

The Key to support our future growth is in place: MAPS 4's - 16 projects that expire April 2028.

Are we ready to advance to the next level: 1.5 million to 1.6 million (Challenge Milwaukee) or more projected MSA in 2030.

Thread Information