Widgets Magazine

Thread: Brick and mortar retail future?

Default Brick and mortar retail future?

I feel like I might be the Loner Ranger with this thought but I think we're seeing the beginning of the end for 'some' retail brick and mortar stores. The dynamics in 2021 compared to 15 years ago are so different when it come to retail brick and mortar businesses. With the influence of online shopping and other unforeseen issues such as COVID I don't think some retail will return to 'what once was'. Even if COVID gets under control in a couple of years and people start traveling and getting out more often I believe the time will have passed for some retail to make a come back.

If I had investments in shopping malls, etc. I would be abandoning ship as fast as I could and count my losses. The mass amount of retail
    square footage space and the parking lots acres they consume will undergo abandonment or total change over to something completely new.

Default Re: Brick and mortar retail future?

I think in the coming years the way we shop, the way work and lots of other things will be alot different then in the past. Not just because of covid but add a $15 hr min wage to the mix. With covid more employers are having employees work from home. I think this may be a continuing trend, as a way to save money on expensive office space to cut costs to be more competitive. If anyone is watching, acreage properties around cities and out a ways of say an hour drive are in short supply. More and more people want more land. Land prices going up. Not sure how this will impact small businesses in smaller outlaying towns. Just trying to make the point we are going through a societal change.

Just dreaming, but...

Would an enclosed shopping mall space that was converted into its own micro-community be something of value or desired by a younger crowd?

Convert/Build apartment style housing within the structure, but at the same time retain some specialty stores, entertainment, and dining choices? Maybe the addition of an urgent care, some form of daycare/childcare, throw in a FedEx Office style store for your online deliveries/returns and small business shipping needs. Individuals would basically, work, live, and play there. If you could not work within the facility, at least when you arrive home, you are not having to leave and drive to get groceries, dinner, etc.

Closest example I can think of something like this would be Branson Landing in Missouri that has retail shops, dining, and entertainment on the street level, but apartments/condos are built on the upper levels of the shops. Create an environment where a car isn't needed to facilitate daily needs.

I think our country is really seeing and will continue to see a shift of focus towards locally-owned businesses as well as retailers like TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall’s, etc. to provide some of the goods we used to find at specialty retailers. Sometimes you can already find labels from mall-based retailers in these stores and at heavily reduced prices, but with a lower quality.

I dont know if you mall area of a living center would fly today. From what I am reading, people are now looking for home with larger lots or acreages. With all the covid and having to work at home/stay at home, they are looking for more of their own living space. It seems that properties an hour or more away from larger cities that have acreage are selling quick and in high demand. Just look around Edmond and you will not find much with an ac or more and a decent home for sale. It seems that it down to the only the real high end/expensive properties left on the market. I think its the same in other parts of the country from what I am reading.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Just dreaming, but...

Would an enclosed shopping mall space that was converted into its own micro-community be something of value or desired by a younger crowd?

Convert/Build apartment style housing within the structure, but at the same time retain some specialty stores, entertainment, and dining choices? Maybe the addition of an urgent care, some form of daycare/childcare, throw in a FedEx Office style store for your online deliveries/returns and small business shipping needs. Individuals would basically, work, live, and play there. If you could not work within the facility, at least when you arrive home, you are not having to leave and drive to get groceries, dinner, etc.

Closest example I can think of something like this would be Branson Landing in Missouri that has retail shops, dining, and entertainment on the street level, but apartments/condos are built on the upper levels of the shops. Create an environment where a car isn't needed to facilitate daily needs.
    Besides the enclosed aspect you are just describing good urban design. Work, live, and play in a condensed area that removes the car as a necessity. You don’t need to dream of a mall conversion to get these amenities, they already exist.

Thread Information